Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 16:05
English to French
Jul 8, 2009

Greetings,

I noticed that there are not a lot of English>French Job requests on Proz.com. I thought that English>French language combination was quite demanded.

I didn't set any restrictions on the Proz Job Search system other than English>French and most of the time I come up with a maxmimum of 7 to 8 job posts.

One year or before I remember that there were more.

Or maybe is it just an impression? Maybe was I too restrictive before or is it ju
... See more
Greetings,

I noticed that there are not a lot of English>French Job requests on Proz.com. I thought that English>French language combination was quite demanded.

I didn't set any restrictions on the Proz Job Search system other than English>French and most of the time I come up with a maxmimum of 7 to 8 job posts.

One year or before I remember that there were more.

Or maybe is it just an impression? Maybe was I too restrictive before or is it just the state of the market today?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-08 13:59 GMT]
Collapse

Didier Caizergues
Didier Caizergues
English to French
+ ...
Hello, fellow inhabitant of the Sunny South! Jul 8, 2009

From what I've seen in your profile, you live in the same area of France as I. I agree with you when you say that there are less Eng>Fr jobs nowadays. It's a shame, but I think it also reflects on the improving languages skills in English-speaking countries, especially in the US: back when I started translating, in '98, I was in contact with HP and Sun people back in the States on an almost daily basis, and time difference notwithstanding, they lauded my command of English and deplored their lac... See more
From what I've seen in your profile, you live in the same area of France as I. I agree with you when you say that there are less Eng>Fr jobs nowadays. It's a shame, but I think it also reflects on the improving languages skills in English-speaking countries, especially in the US: back when I started translating, in '98, I was in contact with HP and Sun people back in the States on an almost daily basis, and time difference notwithstanding, they lauded my command of English and deplored their lack of proficiency in foreign languages in general, and in French in particular. A few years later, the same people had acquired a mid- to top-level management status, and younder people had taken their place. The new "kids" were, o surprise, quite good with foreign languages, something their teachers in highschool and college had stressed would become more and more important in the future.

The same goes, to some extent, for Britishers, whose younger generation seems more interested in learning French, if only for trading reasons. When you hear that even Lance Armstrong now gives (short) interviews in French to the French press and television, you understand that times, they're indeed a-changing...
Collapse

Thomas Dihrberg
Thomas Dihrberg  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to German
+ ...
Communication problem Jul 8, 2009

Good afternoon from Spain,

i don´t think that there is less demand for the language pair EN-FR. I noticed that the job notifications went down since january 2009 even in my language pairs. I think proz.com changed something - to worse - and now i don´t receive all job notifications. I have to look each hour on the web and normally i find a job where everything is green and that i qualify for that job.
Several questions to the proz team had the same answer: there is no probl
... See more
Good afternoon from Spain,

i don´t think that there is less demand for the language pair EN-FR. I noticed that the job notifications went down since january 2009 even in my language pairs. I think proz.com changed something - to worse - and now i don´t receive all job notifications. I have to look each hour on the web and normally i find a job where everything is green and that i qualify for that job.
Several questions to the proz team had the same answer: there is no problem at all, it is due to the restrictions on my personal data. So I gave up and now i´m visiting the page hourly to see if there is something new.
Maybe more people should claim!

rgds from Marbella/Spain
Collapse

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About Proz job system and others Jul 8, 2009

The question is: is Proz also pro-active in the job postings system?
I mean do some Proz members try to convince translation agencies or others to post jobs on their web site to "feed" us?(I'm not saying it is biased or artificial)

Or is Proz.com only a receptacle (passive) for job postings from the outside?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not criticizing. I am trying to understand.

If my first hypothesis is correct, then we could ask Proz to be more "activ
... See more
The question is: is Proz also pro-active in the job postings system?
I mean do some Proz members try to convince translation agencies or others to post jobs on their web site to "feed" us?(I'm not saying it is biased or artificial)

Or is Proz.com only a receptacle (passive) for job postings from the outside?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not criticizing. I am trying to understand.

If my first hypothesis is correct, then we could ask Proz to be more "active" and the result would be more job postings and more customer satisfaction.(ideally)

If not, then I fear there is little we can do since we deal with external factors (uncontrollable). The market is the way it is. But there are ways to make it work in our interests maybe.
Or maybe there are a lot of job postings after all but for unknown reasons they don't end up on Proz. I know that there are a lot of "private "requests that get done between professionnals without being advertized.
Now are employers using Proz only to post requests that they can't get fulfilled using their networks? I hope not, or this would not be very flattering for us Proz members.

However being registered at Proz (paying) isn't a guarantee for getting translation jobs. I don't think it's written anywhere and it would hard to guarantee it to some 360 000 Proz.com translators...(imagine the lawsuits!).

A great action wpould be to make translation agencies more aware of Proz and showing them the benefits of posting jobs.
As my management teacher once said "Everything is a matter of ressource allocation"...The market system might seem unfair to some, but it's the way it is.

[Edited at 2009-07-08 14:45 GMT]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
360.000 members. Jul 8, 2009

Mavyalex wrote:

However being registered at Proz (paying) isn't a guarantee for getting translation jobs. I don't think it's written anywhere and it would hard to guarantee it to some 360 000 Proz.com translators...(imagine the lawsuits!).
is.

[Edited at 2009-07-08 13:54 GMT]

360.000 Proz.com translators some of whom are dead, others who have left translation long ago, some for whom translation was an in-between jobs, etc... I wonder how many active members there really are? For a lot of people translation is just a necessary evil (during an economic crisis) between two jobs. When the economy recovers and they get a decent job, they get out of translation. How many MDs would leave their vocation to become a translator. Didn't they study to become a doctor of medicine? The same goes for CPAs, lawyers, economists and all others who became a member of translator sites. Some do it for a while until they have earned enough and move on in life.

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-07-08 13:59 GMT]

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
On the other hand... Jul 8, 2009

Some of us have chosen Translation as our profession and have decided to devote to it on a permanent basis. This may make a difference, I guess.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perhaps why translators are seeing fewer jobs Jul 8, 2009

My perusal of the FAQ section indicates that there are four different ways jobs can be placed so that average members, even the paid-up ones, never see them. These are "Connect," "Pre-Qualified," "Private," and "Turn-key" jobs. I don't pay close attention to how the site works, but I think all of them, except "Pre-Qualified," are recent additions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of jobs posted English>French: Facts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »