Allow site members/users to rate each job posting
Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 14:29
SITE STAFF
Not a feature which is currently being considered Oct 21, 2009

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay. The ranking or rating of publicly posted jobs is not a feature which is currently being considered. Note that 1) public job postings are only a fraction of the jobs which pass through the site, 2) those jobs may, and may not, include a specified rate offering, 3) if you are in doubt about the rate offered on a job, you can consult the "Community rates" to get a better idea of currently charged rates in your language pair(s) (this is now under the "Too
... See more
Hello all,

Sorry for the delay. The ranking or rating of publicly posted jobs is not a feature which is currently being considered. Note that 1) public job postings are only a fraction of the jobs which pass through the site, 2) those jobs may, and may not, include a specified rate offering, 3) if you are in doubt about the rate offered on a job, you can consult the "Community rates" to get a better idea of currently charged rates in your language pair(s) (this is now under the "Tools" tab in the new site menus), and 4) if you consider a particular job's rate offering to be below your minimum (as some have pointed out, this may differ according to many factors) the best feedback may be to not quote on or take the job.

Outsourcers who pay well,on time and are in general good to work with will have this reflected on their Blue Board records, provided the translators who have worked with them give feedback.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:29
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Finally! Oct 21, 2009

Jared wrote:

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay. The ranking or rating of publicly posted jobs is not a feature which is currently being considered. Note that 1) public job postings are only a fraction of the jobs which pass through the site, 2) those jobs may, and may not, include a specified rate offering, 3) if you are in doubt about the rate offered on a job, you can consult the "Community rates" to get a better idea of currently charged rates in your language pair(s) (this is now under the "Tools" tab in the new site menus), and 4) if you consider a particular job's rate offering to be below your minimum (as some have pointed out, this may differ according to many factors) the best feedback may be to not quote on or take the job.

Outsourcers who pay well,on time and are in general good to work with will have this reflected on their Blue Board records, provided the translators who have worked with them give feedback.

Best regards,

Jared

But why am I not surprised by this?

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:29
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Me neither Oct 21, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

But why am I not surprised by this?

Paola

Milos Prudek
Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Register average outsourcer rates Oct 21, 2009

The ranking or rating of publicly posted jobs is not a feature which is currently being considered.

Would proz.com consider something else, then?

Let translators specify rate that an outsourcer pays for a given language pair. Let translators enter rates they were paid in a given language pair. Thus translators who focus on low-rate low-quality can find their outsourcers. And high-end translators can also find their outsourcers.

Example: Outsourcer A pays an average 0.03 EUR per word for English-French. Outsourcer B pays an average 0.10 EUR per word for English-French.

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Good question Oct 21, 2009

Milos Prudek wrote:

Would proz.com consider something else, then?

The situation we have now is similar to a great bazar. I'd like a clearer segmentation.
I guess the problem affects also quality agencies, which will find it harder and harder to outsource through Proz.

Paola

PS The answer is probably no

Eric Hahn (X)
Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
It's mainly an image related problem Oct 21, 2009

Milos Prudek wrote:

Example: Outsourcer A pays an average 0.03 EUR per word for English-French. Outsourcer B pays an average 0.10 EUR per word for English-French.

Even if outsourcer A is based in India, he should be aware of the fact that 0.03 EUR is all but a professional rate outside of India.

Job postings with less than amateurish rates can only be harmful to our professional image as long as they are public !

Therefore, I suggest simply to suppress _public_ job postings.

[Edited at 2009-10-21 17:07 GMT]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Practically given up outsourcing through ProZ.com Oct 21, 2009

Paola Dentifrigi wrote:
I guess the problem affects also quality agencies, which will find it harder and harder to outsource through Proz.

Quite right - I have practically given up outsourcing through ProZ.com, with very few exceptions.

Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What about the other proposal? Oct 21, 2009

Jared,

Sorry for the delay.

Not to worry - on the contrary: the time it takes to respond is quite an interesting indication in itself.

The ranking or rating of publicly posted jobs is not a feature which is currently being considered.

What about the other proposal put forward in the discussion?

Note that 1) public job postings are only a fraction of the jobs which pass through the site,

Agreed - hence the suggestion to provide more specific/more structured feedback via the BB. Any chance for a response?

3) if you are in doubt about the rate offered on a job, you can consult the "Community rates" to get a better idea of currently charged rates in your language pair(s) (this is now under the "Tools" tab in the new site menus),

Sorry, but this is ludicrous - and I really hope less experienced colleagues will not take your word for it. First, calling 3,500 entries (many of which are probably outdated) "current" doesn't hold any ground. Second, we discussed a more detailed breakdown of pricing data several years ago - still, all I'm seeing is an overall average (at least the EUR/USD exchange rate appears to be approximately right).

Short of quoting prices in BB entries (to which I would object), how would I be able to differentiate my business from a large competitor undercutting my price levels - at the expense of freelancers being paid p**s-poor rates? Please explain.

Regards,
Ralf

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Re: Practically given up outsourcing through ProZ.com Oct 21, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Quite right - I have practically given up outsourcing through ProZ.com, with very few exceptions.

Ralf, what was your experience?

Hynek

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
Good to know, Ralf Oct 21, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Ralf

It's obvious that almost all serious agencies and outsourcers have stopped using Proz as a job posting platform. Most of the job offers in places like Proz are more than detrimental to our profession.

On the other hand, the answer given by Proz.com staff does nothing more than to reassure the direction that this place has taken: one that helps to destroy and damage the translation market.

Regards,

Fernando

[Edited at 2009-10-21 15:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-21 15:25 GMT]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Connect used to be useful Oct 21, 2009

Hi Hynek,

Ralf, what was your experience?

I found several excellent professionals via Connect - at the time, the platform was (rightly) seen as something special (and outsourcers contacting freelancers received due attention). More importantly, I was contacted by professionals via my Blue Board record - that hasn't happened for quite some time.

HTH, Ralf

Peter Moor
Peter Moor
United States
Local time: 13:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
What do OUTSOURCERS want...? Oct 21, 2009

It took me quite a while to read through this post, but it was well worth my time. It should concern all of us since most of us are doing this on a full-time basis. While many (most?) points have already been addressed, here is my two-cents worth.

1. ProZ is a "middleman", established to bring translators and outsourcers together. It is silly for us translators to think that just because we are either not getting the rates we want or that we are fed up seeing rates come down (for
... See more
It took me quite a while to read through this post, but it was well worth my time. It should concern all of us since most of us are doing this on a full-time basis. While many (most?) points have already been addressed, here is my two-cents worth.

1. ProZ is a "middleman", established to bring translators and outsourcers together. It is silly for us translators to think that just because we are either not getting the rates we want or that we are fed up seeing rates come down (for whatever reason) that this should change the way ProZ does business. That in some way we could DEMAND them to change. If ProZ wants to increase its translator membership it will do so for business reasons, not necessarily to "keep our profession respected and/or well paid." It has to weigh things off. How will a change in those policies affect their ability to retain or attract (also paying) outsourcers.

2. I've read several times in this post that this is a WORLDWIDE website. Yes indeed! Albeit a difficult reality for some of us to accept, this is a global medium and a global economy; it is, and it will continue to grow in that direction. Likely result? Lower average rates. And yes, some of us members and non-members actually will take jobs at those lower rates, because we are...

3. Independent contractors. Now, bury that job mentality where everyone -rightly or wrongly- complains about pay. We are in business for ourselves, ladies and gentlemen. Get used to competing and to being outbid. Bummer. So, how do we end up being able to make a living in the economy we live in?

4. For one, do good work and put your name out there for outsourcers to notice. Use marketing, advertising, various ways of communications, etc. This is business, for p... sake! Many of us will, after (finally) having received work that we bid on through ProZ, get DIRECT WORK, from those clients without having to compete again. We complete work on time, we communicate well with the client, we double/triple check our work, we are RELIABLE. Result? After a while we will only have to compete for some side work -if at all- to fill up our schedule. But...it takes a concerted effort which, frankly, some of us "professional" translators are not willing to commit to.

There, my two cents. If, and I say, IF, we can come up with a way to make our case, which is to attempt to raise our rates and weed out those pesky companies that try to get something for nothing...AND do so in a way that would increase the usage of this website [and revenue to ProZ] from both us and the outtsourcers, believe me, ProZ would do so in a minute. Let's think more creatively and focus our efforts in that direction. In the mean time let's stop feeling sorry for ourselves and our profession and think competition.
Collapse

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Great, Peter! :) Oct 21, 2009

Peter Moor wrote:

1. ProZ is a "middleman", established to bring translators and outsourcers together. It is silly for us translators to think that just because we are either not getting the rates we want or that we are fed up seeing rates come down (for whatever reason) that this should change the way ProZ does business. That in some way we could DEMAND them to change. If ProZ wants to increase its translator membership it will do so for business reasons, not necessarily to "keep our profession respected and/or well paid." It has to weigh things off. How will a change in those policies affect their ability to retain or attract (also paying) outsourcers.

2. I've read several times in this post that this is a WORLDWIDE website. Yes indeed! Albeit a difficult reality for some of us to accept, this is a global medium and a global economy; it is, and it will continue to grow in that direction. Likely result? Lower average rates. And yes, some of us members and non-members actually will take jobs at those lower rates, because we are...

3. Independent contractors. Now, bury that job mentality where everyone -rightly or wrongly- complains about pay. We are in business for ourselves, ladies and gentlemen. Get used to competing and to being outbid. Bummer. So, how do we end up being able to make a living in the economy we live in?

4. For one, do good work and put your name out there for outsourcers to notice. Use marketing, advertising, various ways of communications, etc. This is business, for p... sake! Many of us will, after (finally) having received work that we bid on through ProZ, get DIRECT WORK, from those clients without having to compete again. We complete work on time, we communicate well with the client, we double/triple check our work, we are RELIABLE. Result? After a while we will only have to compete for some side work -if at all- to fill up our schedule. But...it takes a concerted effort which, frankly, some of us "professional" translators are not willing to commit to.

There, my two cents. If, and I say, IF, we can come up with a way to make our case, which is to attempt to raise our rates and weed out those pesky companies that try to get something for nothing...AND do so in a way that would increase the usage of this website [and revenue to ProZ] from both us and the outtsourcers, believe me, ProZ would do so in a minute. Let's think more creatively and focus our efforts in that direction. In the mean time let's stop feeling sorry for ourselves and our profession and think competition.

I couldn't agree more!!
Thanks, Peter. You were able to express (almost) all my feelings about this!

Regards,
Fernanda

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Could not say it better Oct 21, 2009

Peter Moor wrote:

Fully agree with you. Congrats!
G

Cristóbal del Río Faura
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Oct 21, 2009

If, and I say, IF, we can come up with a way to make our case, which is to attempt to raise our rates and weed out those pesky companies that try to get something for nothing...AND do so in a way that would increase the usage of this website [and revenue to ProZ] from both us and the outtsourcers, believe me, ProZ would do so in a minute. Let's think more creatively and focus our efforts in that direction.

I fully agree with this. I fact, I would say the above 7 pages have been creatively focussing efforts in the direction you mention.

[Edited at 2009-10-21 19:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-21 19:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Allow site members/users to rate each job posting

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »