Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:47
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Geographical considerations Apr 19, 2010

David Moore wrote:
One factor appears not to have been addressed up to this point. In these days of e-correspondence, it is so easy for a customer in Germany to contact TA's in India, China, and other "threshold countries", where translation rates are generally much lower than here, for cheaper translations than are available locally. This also applies to a certain extent to the Americas, from where I have feedback that my rates are "far too high to be considered for translation work" there. Okay, that's my privilege, and if I have so much work already that I can't accept their lower rates, then I don't accept it anyway.

The point I am making is that if an Indian or Chinese (or American!) TA approaches me with a project in a speciality field of mine, I may well shave my rates notwithstanding the fact that bank charges may be incurred and so on. Am I then excluded from receiving job notifications in similar cases, based on the rates offered? And if so, is there anything which can be done about this without undue complications?

If not, I'm quite happy to continue as at present - most of my approaches come via the profile page anyway - though I often have to say "I cannot accept your (Chinese, Indian, American) rates, because I am living in Germany".

Hi David,

Some job posts will now show you the job poster's country, in order to take this aspect into consideration if you wish.

It's good to hear your profile is working for you as far as potential client contacts, too-- that is how it is designed to work.

Regards,

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Job posters are also shown notice if the budget information is below average Apr 19, 2010

Tomas Mosler wrote:
Actually, is this 80 % etc. info shown only in the ad (for translators), or already during the job posting process - for the outsourcer? From the wording of Jared's post it is not too clear to me, so I wouldn't be so sure that outsourcers are made aware of that with this change?

Hello Tomas,

The message I mention in my post is one which is shown to translators viewing the job. There is already an equivalent message which is shown to a job poster if the budget information falls below the community average minimum, before they post the job.

Regards,

Jared

Maria Elena Martinez
Maria Elena Martinez  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
to Albert Apr 19, 2010

[quote]Albert Stufkens wrote:

Markets indeed behave like fluids seeking the lowest point.
But Proz.com should not lend itself as a vehicle for driving rates down. Apart from the odd European language translator living in a low pay area who can afford to be happy with ridiculously low rates, I believe that the translation market is dominated by translators living in Europe. So a drive to correct the Proz.com market can only be welcome, and should not be undermined by voiced opinions of the odd translators living in low pay economic areas. Just let them benefit from this drive or seek membership of other, that is,'cheap markets'. As far as I know, Proz.com is a major market. So in a sense, if outsourcers start to notice that this is a serious site then they will behave.
If outsourcers move to other markets, so be it. It may even be possible that other sites will follow Proz.com's example in this.
After all, our contribution fees should help promoting the translators' interests, not the outsourcers'.

As far as 'garbage' is concerned, over time outsourcers will have come to know the quality of their (Proz.com) translators.

Well, you have said it very clearly. I fully support your statement!

Christophe M.
Christophe M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
Average rate Apr 20, 2010

I read a lot of interesting suggestions and comments about the job posting system and I want to ad a remark:
The average rate of the community in my language pair (EN-FR) is: min. per word $ 0.1, rate per word is $ 0.13, max. rate per word is $ 0.25
I don’t know if that rate reflects a reality, I have been working in network with other translators and a rate of $0.13 is really rare and especially on proz.com.
Am I missing something?

Regards,

Christo
... See more
I read a lot of interesting suggestions and comments about the job posting system and I want to ad a remark:
The average rate of the community in my language pair (EN-FR) is: min. per word $ 0.1, rate per word is $ 0.13, max. rate per word is $ 0.25
I don’t know if that rate reflects a reality, I have been working in network with other translators and a rate of $0.13 is really rare and especially on proz.com.
Am I missing something?

Regards,

Christophe
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Rate information sent in profile mails Apr 23, 2010

Hi Jared,

Are potential outsourcers still allowed to specify/suggest a rate in profile mails? I thought the same rules would apply as in job posting, but there are no warnings when one tries to send a profile mail.

Kind regards,
Attila

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
The job posting system was the main subject of the petition, and that is where the focus is for now Apr 23, 2010

Hi Attila,

This is addressed in one of the FAQs at http://www.proz.com/about/ipetition/faq

The job posting system was the main subject of the petition, and that is where the focus is for now.

Best regards,

Jared

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update on changes made to the ProZ.com job posting system, 16 April, 2010

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »