Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 25, 2022

There are 2 important details that are missing from some, or most job postings.

1. Amount of work required (in words, pages, chars or lines etc.)
Most posting has it, but some are hiding it, while goes all the way with requirements, conditions; you apply and at some point it turns out we are talking about 65 words or so.

2. Payment terms. Should not it be there, right in the job info, if a company sets their regular payment policy at 60 or even more days after
... See more
There are 2 important details that are missing from some, or most job postings.

1. Amount of work required (in words, pages, chars or lines etc.)
Most posting has it, but some are hiding it, while goes all the way with requirements, conditions; you apply and at some point it turns out we are talking about 65 words or so.

2. Payment terms. Should not it be there, right in the job info, if a company sets their regular payment policy at 60 or even more days after delivery/invoicing? That way translators save time and effort by ignoring it right ahead. Some outsourcers with very good payment terms do include it, but most firms wait, till we ask about it, or hides it in the contract's 23. page somewhere.

I suggest to include the amount of work required and the days of payment after delivery in the job posting form, as mandatory data to fill. I hope it makes sense for all tanslators, besides our honest, good partner companies could benefit, too by shining out with their policies against the competitors.
Collapse

Tom in London
Cristina Cevenini
expressisverbis
Renée van Bijsterveld
Jennifer Levey
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Recep Kurt

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Excellent suggestions May 25, 2022

These are excellent suggestions. Proz should specify them as requirements for all job postings.

Renée van Bijsterveld
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
Gabriella Vento

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:51
Greek to English
Translators set terms May 26, 2022

Gabriella Vento wrote:

1. Amount of work required (in words, pages, chars or lines etc.) ...

2. Payment terms. Should not it be there, right in the job info, if a company sets their regular payment policy ...

Yes on the size of the job, but payment terms should be set by the translator, not by the client.

If the client does suggest a schema for payment and you find it unacceptable, tell them so.

However, I don't think clients should be encouraged to do that. It sets a bad precedent, or at least creates a wrong impression.

Josephine Cassar

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Data missing May 26, 2022

Many of these job postings are purposely vague.

Jorge Payan
Matthias Brombach

Gabriella Vento
United States
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The client should not set the terms, but the outsourcer company has more leverage and they do. May 27, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

Gabriella Vento wrote:

1. Amount of work required (in words, pages, chars or lines etc.) ...

2. Payment terms. Should not it be there, right in the job info, if a company sets their regular payment policy ...

Yes on the size of the job, but payment terms should be set by the translator, not by the client.

If the client does suggest a schema for payment and you find it unacceptable, tell them so.

However, I don't think clients should be encouraged to do that. It sets a bad precedent, or at least creates a wrong impression.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:51
Greek to English
Up to you May 27, 2022

Gabriella Vento wrote:

Philip Lees wrote:

The client should not set the terms, but the outsourcer company has more leverage and they do.

Only if you let them. I've had agencies agree to make me an exception to their ridiculously delayed payment terms after I told them I found those terms unacceptable.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Payment terms are not carved in stone May 27, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

The client should not set the terms, but the outsourcer company has more leverage and they do.

[/quote]

Only if you let them. I've had agencies agree to make me an exception to their ridiculously delayed payment terms after I told them I found those terms unacceptable. [/quote]

and you can always negotiate them, like everything else, but if they offer 60 days or worse, it will be very difficult to get more reasonable terms and it's not a good sign anyway, but would still be a useful information.

Gabriella Vento

Gabriella Vento
United States
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being well informed before negotiation May 27, 2022

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Philip Lees wrote:

Only if you let them. I've had agencies agree to make me an exception to their ridiculously delayed payment terms after I told them I found those terms unacceptable. [/quote]

and you can always negotiate them, like everything else, but if they offer 60 days or worse, it will be very difficult to get more reasonable terms and it's not a good sign anyway, but would still be a useful information. [/quote]

I agree, Christel. Being well informed before any negotiation is of key importance, and Proz is there for us providing the right tools.

[Edited at 2022-05-27 14:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Essential data missing from job postings

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »