Style for your profile – how to use Web typography (and more) in your Proz.com profile
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:00
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2013

Dear Linguists,

(Just kidding.)

As you may know – or not! – a Proz.com profile allows you to do a lot of cool things to present yourself to your clients – if only you commit your time and creativity, which I, by the way, strongly suggest that you do. And I'm here to help you do it.

While presentation really is about the content – which I actually say in the beginning sections of the article – the purpose of my article to help you deal with the vis
... See more
Dear Linguists,

(Just kidding.)

As you may know – or not! – a Proz.com profile allows you to do a lot of cool things to present yourself to your clients – if only you commit your time and creativity, which I, by the way, strongly suggest that you do. And I'm here to help you do it.

While presentation really is about the content – which I actually say in the beginning sections of the article – the purpose of my article to help you deal with the visual presentation of your content. On the technical side, this will be achieved with the use of styles (normally known as Cascading Style Sheets, but we won't be making any sheets here, actually).

The primary purpose of CSS is to enable typography for web designers. And web design is 95% typography. Since there's so much HTML allowed in your About me – and actually styles!!!!!11one – it can safely be said that creating an About me is web design.

The same things which you can find in the article will hold true in custom tabs (enter Settings in your profile, then look on your left under Other settings), of which you can actually have as many as three if you're a registered member and in any case at least one, even if you don't have a paid membership. With this knowledge, little will hold you back from turning your profile into effectively a mini website. Speaking of which, as a registered member you can have a full site within your membership fee and this knowledge will help you there too.

But you don't have to go all-out like that right away. If you just want to find out how to tweak your font a bit, perhaps use a nice border, or divide your text in two columns, this article is a good place to check for that kind of information. It should also be a good place if you just want to look at a couple of examples of what CSS can do for you.

Please don't be discouraged by the fact that this is 8K words of text. Well, how many would you expect a CSS course book to have? This is practically a complete introduction to the standard. If anything captures your particular interest, there are links to guide you to more information. In fact, if you follow on the links, you may soon find yourself familiar with the official CSS specification at W3C.

So, just go through it once and benefit from the knowledge ever after (well, perhaps with some reference and revision). Personally, I find CSS typography easier and faster to control than using a normal word processor, as it comes down to assigning numerical values to named properties that sound pretty much like normal English compound nouns (complete with hyphens), which is much more intuitive and faster to do than making your way through complicated menu options.

Since I'm sensing that my rambling inclination is slowly beginning to take over, it's probably time to finish this little introduction and just give you the link:

http://www.proz.com/doc/3854
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Style for your profile – how to use Web typography (and more) in your Proz.com profile

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »