Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:10
French to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2009

Hi all,

A very strange thing just happened with Skype and I thought it wise to post it here.

I sent my husband a PDF file, and he received two files at the same time: the PDF file I'd uploaded, and a work file that is on another drive on my computer.

On my side, Skype shows I have sent my one PDF file, period.

I've emailed tech support and will let you know if/when they answer.

For those of you who use Skype to send files or, gas
... See more
Hi all,

A very strange thing just happened with Skype and I thought it wise to post it here.

I sent my husband a PDF file, and he received two files at the same time: the PDF file I'd uploaded, and a work file that is on another drive on my computer.

For those of you who use Skype to send files or, gasp, send money, be careful...

Patricia
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:10
English to French
+ ...
Strange :!!!!! Mar 14, 2009

Patricia Lane wrote:

Hi all,

For those of you who use Skype to send files or, gasp, send money, be careful...

Patricia

Very strange indeed Patricia ! Can you tell us which version you have ? Is it the last version ?

Which kind of OS do you have ? XP, Vista, Linux ?

Thanks

Moh

Patricia Lane
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
system Mar 15, 2009

Hi Mohamed,

I have Skype version 3.8.0139 and am on XP Pro.

Did a thorough check last night - no bugs, no thugs, no virus, nothing, the computer is clean.

I don't get it. Hope Skype's tech support can figure it out.

Patricia

Fathy Shehatto
Fathy Shehatto  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:10
English to Arabic
+ ...
confirmed my doubts! Mar 15, 2009

Hi Patricia,

You have confirmed my doubtful incident!

Last week, I got a pdf file from one client in Ireland. Which teases me is "How is the file received without accepting it?"

There was a message says" File is received". When I asked my client in Ireland if she has just sent me a pdf file 2 minutes before. She replied that she didn't send anything.

I am using Win XP Pro and skype 4.0.0

Hope we could get an explanation!

... See more
Hi Patricia,

You have confirmed my doubtful incident!

Last week, I got a pdf file from one client in Ireland. Which teases me is "How is the file received without accepting it?"

There was a message says" File is received". When I asked my client in Ireland if she has just sent me a pdf file 2 minutes before. She replied that she didn't send anything.

I am using Win XP Pro and skype 4.0.0

Hope we could get an explanation!

Fathy Shehatto

[Edited at 2009-03-15 23:34 GMT]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Skype strangeness Mar 16, 2009

You should repeat the process. Send the same file to the same recipient again and see what happens.

I tend not to use Skype to send large files. I prefer services like Yousendit or Megaupload.

Best,
Pawel Skalinski

Patricia Lane
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Mar 16, 2009

Good idea, Pawel, I'll try that this evening.

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype warning

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »