Beware of the KB910721 spam email (Outlook update)
Thread poster: Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:42
English to German
+ ...
Jun 26, 2009

For the past few days, I received multiple, very authentic looking emails asking me to update my Outlook mail program. While I always follow the regular Microsoft updating process and do know that Microsoft will not send out clickable links or attachments, I was unsure for a moment, because this notification looks very legit!
Googling confirmed that it is indeed a bad idea click the link (or the attachment) supplied in that mail: you will d
... See more
For the past few days, I received multiple, very authentic looking emails asking me to update my Outlook mail program. While I always follow the regular Microsoft updating process and do know that Microsoft will not send out clickable links or attachments, I was unsure for a moment, because this notification looks very legit!
Googling confirmed that it is indeed a bad idea click the link (or the attachment) supplied in that mail: you will download malware (Trojans).

http://www.dscoduc.com/post/2009/06/17/Beware-of-the-KB910721-spam-email.aspx

Cheers
j.
Collapse

Milan Djukić
Milan Djukić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 22:42
English to Serbian
+ ...
Phishing Jun 27, 2009

Exactly, Johanna.

There is a blog post/article about this phishing e-mail also on http://www.pcworld.com/article/167372/dont_get_tricked_by_fake_microsoft_update_emails.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of the KB910721 spam email (Outlook update)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »