Autor wątku: Timothy Barton
lien
lien
Holandia
Local time: 21:22
angielski > francuski
+ ...
extern HDD Aug 30, 2004

Extern hard drive, 80Gb, USB 2.0, just plug it. Very cheap for the storage.

http://www.iomega-europe.com/eu/products.aspx?productId=HDD80USB20External

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 22:22
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
ftp or Word backup function Aug 31, 2004

You can send the working file to your server, but probably servers crash or are out of service more often than the pc on your desk. As some suggested you can send the file to your secoound mail account and leave it there, till the job is finnished.
As my Word crashes almost every day I save the file I'm working on every few minutes (though I use also a CAT tool most of the time). And when I'm half way through I save the file under an other name:
myfile1.doc and so on. So even if I do
... See more
You can send the working file to your server, but probably servers crash or are out of service more often than the pc on your desk. As some suggested you can send the file to your secoound mail account and leave it there, till the job is finnished.
As my Word crashes almost every day I save the file I'm working on every few minutes (though I use also a CAT tool most of the time). And when I'm half way through I save the file under an other name:
myfile1.doc and so on. So even if I do what you did, save a bad version over a good one, there is part of it still left.

Word has a feature, that saves backup versions every time you save a file and numbers them 1,2,3 etc. .bak.
But you have to remember to do the saving.
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:52
angielski > tamilski
+ ...
In Memoriam
I follow Heinrich's method with a small modification Aug 31, 2004

Last year I had the disconcerting experience of the wordfile closing with a tilde and some incomprehensible figures. Thanks to my friend, I got around that problem by closing all the windows, restarting the computer and renaming the concerned tilde file with the original name. In this way only the unsaved portion at the time of the glitsch was lost, which emphasizes the need to save regularly.

Let's say I have a big word file "abc" for translation. First I take a save as copy "abc-t
... See more
Last year I had the disconcerting experience of the wordfile closing with a tilde and some incomprehensible figures. Thanks to my friend, I got around that problem by closing all the windows, restarting the computer and renaming the concerned tilde file with the original name. In this way only the unsaved portion at the time of the glitsch was lost, which emphasizes the need to save regularly.

Let's say I have a big word file "abc" for translation. First I take a save as copy "abc-translated", tile both the files horizontally and do the translation on the top file, which I arrange to be the "abc-translated" file. After some time of translation, I take a save as copy of abc-translated and name it "abc-translated-123". Even though I store it in the same folder, if you are nervous, you can store it on another drive as well. Whenever you stop work for some time, take another save as copy of "abc-translated" as "abc-translated-123". You will be asked whether you want to replace the already present "abc-translated-123" with the new save as file. Click ok and in that way you automatically update that file. In this manner you have at any given time just 2 translated files. If now you lose one translated file, you always have another ready. Once you finish the translation and email it to the client, you can send the "abc-translated-123" to the recycle bin. You no longer require it. After getting paid, you can even delete it. Thus you need not clutter your hard disk.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
As my Word crashes almost every day I save the file I'm working on every few minutes (though I use also a CAT tool most of the time). And when I'm half way through I save the file under an other name: myfile1.doc and so on. So even if I do what you did, save a bad version over a good one, there is part of it still left.
Word has a feature, that saves backup versions every time you save a file and numbers them 1,2,3 etc. .bak.
But you have to remember to do the saving.

[Edited at 2004-08-31 05:20]
Collapse

Lakshmi Iyer
Lakshmi Iyer  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 21:22
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Thanks Anne, Aug 31, 2004

USB-stick it is and having read your post I think I'm going to get one too!

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In need of advice for backing up

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »