BristolTEc
BristolTEc
Ecuador
Local time: 21:42
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 12, 2006

Can anyone tell me how I can set up an exception to the Windows XP firewall so that it lets me connect to customers ftp sites. This should be simple if I know its IP address, but how do I find this out (apart from asking the customer). Many thanks.

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
Local time: 05:42
English to Russian
+ ...
Way to know the IP having the URL of the site Jan 12, 2006

BristolTEc wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can set up an exception to the Windows XP firewall so that it lets me connect to customers ftp sites. This should be simple if I know its IP address, but how do I find this out (apart from asking the customer). Many thanks.

I guess you have the customer ftp server domain name? Something like "ftp.examle.com" and now you need their IP address, then to know it you may open the DOS command prompt
"Start"->"Run.."->type: cmd
in the DOS black window that opens type: ping ftp.example.com

(Put URL of your customer instead of ftp.example.com of course)in the brackets you'll see the IP address you need.

Zoltán Medgyesi
Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
Local time: 04:42
English to Hungarian
Solution Jan 12, 2006

Suppose, you are connecting to ftp.partner.com.

Click to Start, Run, enter "cmd" in the "Open:" field, then click to OK.

In the prompt, enter ping ftp.partner.com. You'll see reply from x.x.x.x messages, where x.x.x.x is the ftp site's IP address.

Click to Start, Control Panel, Network connec
... See more
Suppose, you are connecting to ftp.partner.com.

Click to Start, Run, enter "cmd" in the "Open:" field, then click to OK.

In the prompt, enter ping ftp.partner.com. You'll see reply from x.x.x.x messages, where x.x.x.x is the ftp site's IP address.

Click to Start, Control Panel, Network connections, double click to the connection you're using to connect to the internet. If you have DSL or cable access, it's likeli you're using the Local connection.

On the Status panel, click to Properties, then to Advanced tab. On the Windows Firewall area, click to Settings, then to Exceptions tab.

Click to Add program. Choose your FTP application from the list, or click to Browse, and browse to it's exe file. For example, if you're using Filezille, browse to C:\Program Files\FileZilla\FileZilla.exe. Click to OK.

In the application list, leave your FTP application selected, and click to Change scope button. Click to Custom list option button, and enter the partner's IP address, that you got from the command prompt.

Click to OK three times, close the command prompt, you're done.

I hope that helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows firewall exception for customer's ftp site

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »