Being independent: challenges and advantages
Thread poster: Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)
Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)
Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:38
Romanian to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2009

I would kindly ask you to share with us the main challenges you have to deal with and the advantages you have in your country of origin, as an independent translator/interpreter.
How do you cope with challenges and what tips would you give to new comers ?

Milos Prudek
Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:38
English to Czech
+ ...
core recommendations Aug 25, 2009

I would kindly ask you to share with us the main challenges you have to deal with and the advantages you have in your country of origin, as an independent translator/interpreter.
How do you cope with challenges and what tips would you give to new comers ?

- must be self-motivated and disciplined.
- need to be able and willing to sell your services. To make offers, to negotiate prices.
- need to be able to say NO politely yet firmly.
- never become cocky.
- choose a market (high quality and adequeate pricing, or low price low quality)
- choose specialization
- separate work from entertainment/web surfing
- have a small office at home to separate work and free time
- save money (3 or more month's wage) for dry spells (no job periods)
- see dry spells as opportunity to learn or rest (hakuna matata)
- watch your health (back pain, repetitive stress injury)
- get invoicing software
- do your tax returns or hire someone to do it
- have your own domain and website
- keep your CV updated
- I could go on. These are the core recommendations.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Here is my list Aug 26, 2009

- Never behave like an employee because you are not.

- Select your customers carefully. After all, they need and want to buy your services, not vice versa.

- You may become cocky. Not the unprofessional way, but like any other organization on the market. Like, say, a credit card company, because that is what you will be all of the sudden. Reserve the right to refuse service. Every gas station and restaurant has a little sign like this in their window. Why not you? It sa
... See more
- Never behave like an employee because you are not.

- Select your customers carefully. After all, they need and want to buy your services, not vice versa.

- You may become cocky. Not the unprofessional way, but like any other organization on the market. Like, say, a credit card company, because that is what you will be all of the sudden. Reserve the right to refuse service. Every gas station and restaurant has a little sign like this in their window. Why not you? It saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

- Do not hesitate to conduct background and credit history checks on your clients.

- Specialize. If a client tries to talk you into a field that you don't know by heart, decline. They will appreciate your honesty and professionalism.

- Deliver 100% at all times. This will turn customers into long-term clients. Beautiful!

- Don't base your business on software only. Keep your books properly.

- Do not send files titled "CV". You may as well put a big red stamp on it: "I don't have a glue and I am a beginner. Feel free to rip me off.". You are not applying for a full-time position. Send short bios, profiles or something. Don't be too generous with that.

- Build a network. You might become sick all of the sudden and you might need the help of colleagues on short notice to get a job finished. When you are self-employed, there are no excuses to miss a deadline due to the chain reaction that it will cause. You are fully liable.

- Don't work for free. This includes unpaid tests. You are a business and you have responsibilities.

- Enjoy and be proud of your business!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I second the comments from both Milos and Nicole Aug 26, 2009

They are all important concerns, and I agree with Nicole's view of "cocky" in the professional rather than personal sense.

These are the ones I find the most difficult to implement:

Milos Prudek wrote:
- separate work from entertainment/web surfing
- have a small office at home to separate work and free time
- save money (3 or more month's wage) for dry spells (no job periods)
- see dry spells as opportunity to learn or rest (hakuna matata)

It's that separation of professional and home life that I find difficult as a freelancer. It's so easy to stay at the computer, playing a game of Sudoku or whatever, when "ping" - the computer alerts you of an email arriving in your work inbox, and then it's back to work again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being independent: challenges and advantages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »