Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:16
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Aug 28, 2023

Today is a national holiday here (known in the UK as a "Bank Holiday"); there is no traffic, a great quietness has spread over London, many people are still in bed, and others are getting ready for the Big Day (Notting Hill Carnival).

So I'm in the mood to do nothing.

Unfortunately today isn't a bank holiday in Italy - so I need to get myself out of this mood and into an "available for communication with clients" frame of mind. I find this difficult. I seem to have a
... See more
Today is a national holiday here (known in the UK as a "Bank Holiday"); there is no traffic, a great quietness has spread over London, many people are still in bed, and others are getting ready for the Big Day (Notting Hill Carnival).

So I'm in the mood to do nothing.

Unfortunately today isn't a bank holiday in Italy - so I need to get myself out of this mood and into an "available for communication with clients" frame of mind. I find this difficult. I seem to have a biological clock that is telling me "relax, have the day off like everyone else in London".

The same applies in the opposite direction: national holidays in Italy are not bank holidays in the UK so on those days I have to try to *not be* in a "communicating with clients" frame of mind. I know nobody in Italy is going to be contacting me but still, I find myself sitting waiting for my "email bell" to ping.

I keep all these holiday dates, in both countries. marked in my diary but still, I always find them disconcerting.

You?
Collapse

Sabine Braun
Becca Resnik
Liviu-Lee Roth

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Difficult Aug 28, 2023

I have more or less given up taking any notice of bank holidays for the same reason. With clients in about a dozen countries, it's impossible to align with their bank holidays. I could of course take my local ones off, but since I'm an expat, many of the local ones don't have a lot of meaning to me, and shops are open 7/7, bank holiday or not.

The only ones I observe are the Christmas holidays.

If I then need one or more days off, I take them when I need them rather tha
... See more
I have more or less given up taking any notice of bank holidays for the same reason. With clients in about a dozen countries, it's impossible to align with their bank holidays. I could of course take my local ones off, but since I'm an expat, many of the local ones don't have a lot of meaning to me, and shops are open 7/7, bank holiday or not.

The only ones I observe are the Christmas holidays.

If I then need one or more days off, I take them when I need them rather than when the calendar says I should take them.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Kevin Fulton
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees
Nadja Balogh

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Aug 28, 2023

Like Thomas I don’t take notice of any public holidays in Portugal or elsewhere with the exception of the 24th and 25th December. When work comes my way (and I accept it), I just do it, regardless of public holidays…

Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
Ilde Grimaldi
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Aug 28, 2023

Yes... some days are holidays in the NL that are not holidays in other countries, so it often comes as a surprise to me to discover that my family had planned all-day family activities on a day that I had ear-marked for work.

Tom in London
Philippe Etienne
Kay Denney
Anna Jaffe

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Worse than that Aug 28, 2023

There are some much worse things that bother me in our profession, but national or international holidays have never caused me any annoyance.
For many freelancers a bank holiday (national or not) can be just another work day.
Worse than the holidays is the ritual of changing the clock twice a year which is unnecessary, unhealthy and jarring.

Christel Zipfel
Thomas T. Frost
Baran Keki
Kevin Fulton
Becca Resnik
Lieven Malaise

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:16
English to Turkish
Interesting Aug 28, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
Worse than the holidays is the ritual of changing the clock twice a year which is unnecessary, unhealthy and jarring.

They've stopped changing the clocks here for about 5 years now.. most people I know are not happy with this (especially during the winter when they have to get up at the crack of dawn to find everywhere pitch black), but personally I don't mind... you have 2 hour difference with Europe and 3 with the UK. It has its advantages, like getting enough time to sober up after a mid-week drinking... not exactly healthy, but necessary...

expressisverbis

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't mind me - just reminiscing... Aug 28, 2023

This thread reminds me of the days (long since past...) when I was employed by an international organisation in Geneva.
A colleague from the US took it upon himself to make a list of the public holidays celebrated in the countries of origin of all the staff members.
With over 200 staff from around 60 countries, he worked out that if our employer could be persuaded to close the offices on every day in his list, our working year would be reduced from 220 days to around 100.
The i
... See more
This thread reminds me of the days (long since past...) when I was employed by an international organisation in Geneva.
A colleague from the US took it upon himself to make a list of the public holidays celebrated in the countries of origin of all the staff members.
With over 200 staff from around 60 countries, he worked out that if our employer could be persuaded to close the offices on every day in his list, our working year would be reduced from 220 days to around 100.
The irony of this lay in the fact that (in those days - it's different now...) the Swiss National Day (1st August) was not a public holiday.
Collapse

Tom in London
Kay Denney

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Summer time Aug 28, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

They've stopped changing the clocks here for about 5 years now.. most people I know are not happy with this (especially during the winter when they have to get up at the crack of dawn to find everywhere pitch black), but personally I don't mind... you have 2 hour difference with Europe and 3 with the UK. It has its advantages, like getting enough time to sober up after a mid-week drinking... not exactly healthy, but necessary...

That's because Turkey primarily belongs in the GMT+2 time zone, but your politicians decided to enact permanent summer time at GMT+3 instead. Politicians should stop messing around with time, harming people's health in the process, and just leave the geographic time zones untouched all year.

https://timeuse.barcelona/ – The global initiative promoting time policies and the right to time

expressisverbis
Metin Demirel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Melina Kajander

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jennifer Aug 28, 2023

Jennifer Levey wrote:

The irony of this lay in the fact that (in those days - it's different now...) the Swiss National Day (1st August) was not a public holiday.

Likewise, when I was employed by the EU in Brussels (the EU institutions employ over 60,000 people) with 28 Member States (it was before Brexit) and all their different public holidays. So, we only celebrated Belgian public holidays with the exception of the 11th November (Armistice Day) exchanged with the 9th May (anniversary of the Declaration by Robert Schuman in 1950).

Jennifer Levey

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:16
English to Turkish
Don't mess with our politicians! Aug 28, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
Politicians should stop messing around with time, harming people's health in the process, and just leave the geographic time zones untouched all year.

Our politicians know their business. Who are you to judge them? Come the next elections, they'll promise to take the clock back and make everybody (Turkish citizens, of course) 20 years younger and win by a landslide!
They have a long term strategy with that summer time thing. You Europeans just won't understand.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Politicians Aug 28, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
Politicians should stop messing around with time, harming people's health in the process, and just leave the geographic time zones untouched all year.

Our politicians know their business. Who are you to judge them? Come the next elections, they'll promise to take the clock back and make everybody (Turkish citizens, of course) 20 years younger and win by a landslide!
They have a long term strategy with that summer time thing. You Europeans just won't understand.

I was referring more globally to politicians. In the EU, people voted with a vast majority in an online consultation in 2018 to abolish the seasonal change of time zone. So far, nothing has been done despite the 60,000 eurocrats mentioned. Some people keep sabotaging it, but I don't know who.

Tom in London
Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Melina Kajander

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sandra + Thomas Aug 28, 2023

This “dance” (whether the time change should be abolished or continue) has been discussed at European level since 2018 and as in almost all discussions, there isn't just one side or one argument. And, of course, there is no consensus. Personally,... See more
This “dance” (whether the time change should be abolished or continue) has been discussed at European level since 2018 and as in almost all discussions, there isn't just one side or one argument. And, of course, there is no consensus. Personally, I’m in favour of the discontinuation (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN-PT/TXT/?from=EN&uri=CELEX:52018PC0639).Collapse

expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Consensus Aug 28, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

This “dance” (whether the time change should be abolished or continue) has been discussed at European level since 2018 and as in almost all discussions, there isn't just one side or one argument. And, of course, there is no consensus. Personally, I’m in favour of the discontinuation (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN-PT/TXT/?from=EN&uri=CELEX:52018PC0639).

There is indeed a consensus. 84% of those who participated in the consultation voted to abolish the change of clocks.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_18_5302

The European Parliament too voted to abolish it. This is the only EU institution people can vote for.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47704345

The European Commission is appointed by national governments, but many EU citizens in the EU have no voting rights at national elections (the last time I had was in 1990).

We are supposed to be in a democracy (even with some us having few voting rights), so why do politicians, bureaucrats and eurocrats refuse to listen to the population, behaving like dictators instead?

expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Kay Denney

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
national holiday = working day Aug 28, 2023

I always work on national holidays (i.e. if they fall on weekdays).

expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
democracy Aug 28, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

We are supposed to be in a democracy (even with some us having few voting rights), so why do politicians, bureaucrats and eurocrats refuse to listen to the population, behaving like dictators instead?

Because most countries do not have a well-constructed direct democracy. And that's no coincidence.

Thomas T. Frost
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying national holidays

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »