Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Are any other translators having a quiet period workwise?
Thread poster: Rose Webb
Rose Webb
Rose Webb
France
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2023

I translate from French and Italian into English and get my work from 5 or 6 different agencies in the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, France, and Italy. When I first started working as a freelancer in 2019 I was practically run off my feet with work- I remember at one point I worked for three weeks without having a full day off (not recommended, but worth mentioning to illustrate my point).

However, I've noticed that in the past few years the volume of work I've been receiving has f
... See more
I translate from French and Italian into English and get my work from 5 or 6 different agencies in the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, France, and Italy. When I first started working as a freelancer in 2019 I was practically run off my feet with work- I remember at one point I worked for three weeks without having a full day off (not recommended, but worth mentioning to illustrate my point).

However, I've noticed that in the past few years the volume of work I've been receiving has fluctuated a lot more rather than being steady like it was when I started out.
In particular, September and October for me this year have been really quiet and when I do get offered work it's always for very short documents (e.g. £50 to £100 per job). I know that the summer months tend to be slow for my language pairs, but this year the slow period seems to have extended into the autumn months and it's getting a little concerning. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I've earned no money at all in these past couple of months, I've just earned a lot less than usual and I'm not really sure why.

I'd be interested to hear from any other translators who are experiencing something similar (or even from those who aren't!), especially those working in my language pairs.

[Edited at 2023-10-23 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony OSullivan
ATIL KAYHAN
Thomas T. Frost
Cecília Alves
Wai Hin Lee
Susanna Martoni
SandraV

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
AI and MT Oct 23, 2023

The machines are taking over parts of the market

More foreigners are writing in English

Is my impression

I’ve had less in than usual the past few months

It could just be one of those periodic blips

But agencies have been getting meaner and meaner for years now

Thomas T. Frost
Cecília Alves
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
Renée van Bijsterveld
Miranda Drew
Rachel Waddington

Anthony OSullivan
Anthony OSullivan  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Definitely Oct 23, 2023

I've been working less in translation in the last 6 months than in the previous 15 years. It has to be AI taking its share. I've had clients disappear for no particular reason. Even in the cases where I am the preferred and recommended translator for certain journals, I've seen others undercut my rate by up to 40%. It's AI assisted without a doubt because the rates are simply not sustainable. But I've diversified. We have to adapt.

Tom in London
texjax DDS PhD
ATIL KAYHAN
Thomas T. Frost
Cecília Alves
Miranda Drew
P.L.F. Persio

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Off topic? Oct 23, 2023

This thread is anything but off topic.

Tom in London
Thomas T. Frost
Jennifer Levey
Michele Fauble
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:21
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This cannot possibly be off topic! Oct 23, 2023

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

It's very much ON topic !

Incidentally I don't blame AI. I blame profit maximisation by humans, in which AI may play a role as a tool, but hasn't profit maximisation always used tools?

[Edited at 2023-10-23 20:00 GMT]

Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Ana Cuesta
Renée van Bijsterveld
Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
6 months Oct 23, 2023

The last six months have been significantly worse than anything I've seen for many years.

Apart from AI/MT, many of the European economies are not doing very well, Germany in particularly, which is in recession.

The dramatic interest rate increase seems to have caused a widespread business activity slowdown. This increase happened very quickly. An impact from AI/MT would most likely be more gradual. Trouble brewing around the world causes uncertainty and doesn't help.... See more
The last six months have been significantly worse than anything I've seen for many years.

Apart from AI/MT, many of the European economies are not doing very well, Germany in particularly, which is in recession.

The dramatic interest rate increase seems to have caused a widespread business activity slowdown. This increase happened very quickly. An impact from AI/MT would most likely be more gradual. Trouble brewing around the world causes uncertainty and doesn't help.

Other colleagues say they are as busy as ever. A recent poll gave a bleak picture, though.
Collapse

Cecília Alves
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Zea_Mays
Susanna Martoni
expressisverbis

Cecília Alves
Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:21
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This may be applied to any language pair Oct 23, 2023

I think this problem may be applied to any language pair worldwide. My flow of work was actually about 2X more in the bleak years of the pandemic and in 2022 than it's been throughout this whole year so far. While I think MT/AI plays a great part on this quiet period experienced by many of us, I also agree with what Thomas T. Frost says about the role played by the business activity slowdown in Europe due to the economic downturn faced by most countries (which, in turn, has been less severe in t... See more
I think this problem may be applied to any language pair worldwide. My flow of work was actually about 2X more in the bleak years of the pandemic and in 2022 than it's been throughout this whole year so far. While I think MT/AI plays a great part on this quiet period experienced by many of us, I also agree with what Thomas T. Frost says about the role played by the business activity slowdown in Europe due to the economic downturn faced by most countries (which, in turn, has been less severe in the US, I suppose).

[Edited at 2023-10-24 00:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-24 15:12 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Fabrice Ndie
Diantha Guessous

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Bit of both Oct 24, 2023

Secular trend - MT/AI proving itself to be "good enough" for many tasks, leading to vulnerable translators becoming disintermediated.

Cyclical trend - slowing or even negative economic growth in some countries, as companies respond to slowing demand (inflation and higher interest rates) by trying to rein
... See more
Secular trend - MT/AI proving itself to be "good enough" for many tasks, leading to vulnerable translators becoming disintermediated.

Cyclical trend - slowing or even negative economic growth in some countries, as companies respond to slowing demand (inflation and higher interest rates) by trying to rein in spending and control expenses, including translation.

Dan
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Thomas T. Frost
Josephine Cassar
Michele Fauble
Kirk Jackson
Stuart Hoskins

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:21
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes it has Oct 24, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

It's very much ON topic !

Incidentally I don't blame AI. I blame profit maximisation by humans, in which AI may play a role as a tool, but hasn't profit maximisation always used tools?

[Edited at 2023-10-23 20:00 GMT]

Correct. Profit maximization is for those NOT using the tool, while profit minimization is for those using the tool, eg. at sweatshops and factories (owner vs. employees).

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not right now, but Oct 24, 2023

I have been noticing that the work pattern is more than ever entirely or mostly unpredictable. Anyway, as I have been translating for over 40 years this is not my first crisis: keep calm and carry on!

Christopher Schröder
Renée van Bijsterveld
Dan Lucas
Tom in London
Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
Rachel Waddington

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:21
English to Turkish
Nothing new there Oct 24, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
More foreigners are writing in English

Almost 80% of the things I translate from English to Turkish are written by western Europeans. I'm currently translating some articles written by the French where I genuinely fear (as good as the money is) if I keep doing this my English will regress to a point where I won't be able to enjoy my favorite Netflix series like "How I Met Your Mother". It's a worry really... things we do for money..
Btw, I've recently learned that the new Trados manual was written by a Swedish person (you know those folk who think they speak/write better English than your good self). It's been praised by a Brit who maintains that foreigners do a lot better job at explaining complicated stuff (apparently in English) than expert native speakers. The description says "It is a manual written for the translator by a translator." God help us.
So before blaming the AI, you should blame Rule Britannia

[Edited at 2023-10-24 08:21 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Fabrice Ndie

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Slowdown in economic activity Oct 24, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

.... many of the European economies are not doing very well .....

I'm no economist but my instinct suggests there has been a generalised slowdown in economic activity that began before the pandemic, which exacerbated it. Now there's a recovery that is also a reconfiguration. Things are changing.

In the field that generates much, though not all of my translation work (construction/architecture/real estate/and similar) I do know there has been a big slowdown as compared to the types of documents I used to translate before and that arrived in vast quantities.

However the international construction sector (outside Europe) seems quite lively, and this is generating some work for me.

The luxury sector always booms when there's a recession (funny, that, isn't it?). So in my fields, luxury construction (things like upmarket new homes or refurbishments in expensive locations, architecture and interior design magazines serving a luxury readership) is continuing to generate translation work. Some, but not exactly an avalanche.

In my opinion, AI is a red herring in all of this. It plays a role, but not a very important one. Because AI is The Big New Thing, everybody thinks everything that happens is being caused by it. This is causing the other things that influence economic activity to be underestimated.

[Edited at 2023-10-24 08:14 GMT]

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Zea_Mays
Sebastian Witte
Fabrice Ndie

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hiding in plain sight Oct 24, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
In my opinion, AI is a red herring in all of this. It plays a role, but not a very important one. Because AI is The Big New Thing, everybody thinks everything that happens is being caused by it. This is causing the other things that influence economic activity to be underestimated.

You may be right, but my workload is largely immune to variations in economic activity, and the Scandies aren't exactly struggling anyway.

I'm normally reluctant to extrapolate variations in the workload of one person to trends in the global market, but I've seen enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that machine translation and people using AI to improve their written English are a factor.

My one global agency client is putting as much stuff as possible through MT.

And frankly translators using MT/AI "as a tool" are probably not helping us dinosaurs.

Renée van Bijsterveld
Tony Keily
Christine Andersen

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
'Eurozone at risk of recession as business activity hits three-year low' Oct 24, 2023

'The eurozone could be headed for recession after new data showed business activity in the bloc is at its lowest level in three years.

'S&P Global’s PMI slumped to 46.5 in October – well below the 50 mark that separates expansion from contraction and the worst level since November 2020.

'Excluding the Covid-hit months, it was the lowest reading since March 2013.

'Rising interest rates,
... See more

'The eurozone could be headed for recession after new data showed business activity in the bloc is at its lowest level in three years.

'S&P Global’s PMI slumped to 46.5 in October – well below the 50 mark that separates expansion from contraction and the worst level since November 2020.

'Excluding the Covid-hit months, it was the lowest reading since March 2013.

'Rising interest rates, a slowdown in global activity and a potential resurgence of the energy crisis due to the conflict in the Middle East are all taking their toll, and analysts warned the eurozone may now slip into recession.'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/10/24/ftse-100-markets-news-latest-jobs-interest-rates-uk-economy/
(no paywall)
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Tom in London
Sebastian Witte
P.L.F. Persio
Panopticon

Wojciech Sztukowski
Wojciech Sztukowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:21
Member (2009)
English to Polish
Cost cutting. But well BEYOND reasonable limits. Oct 24, 2023

You just CAN'T translate heavy technical stuff or elaborate marketing copies in bullshit tools that work like this:

"Really huge volumes of texts from all technical fields - coming in and going out after being given a 1-minute check per full page of text - playground for bad translators, beginners and students who can pick up editing jobs and practice on them any time they want, for a bit of pocket money. - Crowdsourcing system - once in the system, whoever feels like working can g
... See more
You just CAN'T translate heavy technical stuff or elaborate marketing copies in bullshit tools that work like this:

"Really huge volumes of texts from all technical fields - coming in and going out after being given a 1-minute check per full page of text - playground for bad translators, beginners and students who can pick up editing jobs and practice on them any time they want, for a bit of pocket money. - Crowdsourcing system - once in the system, whoever feels like working can go to the portal at any time and pick up a job from the current queue, and gets a mix from all sorts of fields and topics to play with.

- Delivers horrible translations. Quality work is impossible due to extreme time restrictions and low payment. - Texts and linguists are not matched. Anyone on the panel can do anything in the job queue, without consideration of skills, qualification or specialization. - Recruits amateur linguists with the promise "You can earn up to $18 per hour!" This is obviously an unacceptable rate for any professional linguist, although I must say they paid me $31 per hour, so don't hesitate to ask for more if you are a qualified professional and want to try them out. However, actually only a small part of your time is really paid, because (A) you have to read the job instructions (unpaid), (B) then you can do some work on a full page of text (1 minute paid), (C) then you have a minute of grace to continue the work (1 minute unpaid) and (D) if you hesitate to submit the unfinished work in time you lose the 1-minute payment altogether. - The technical system often has glitches and faults (you can't access work, or submit work done, or you get wrong language pairs offered, etc). - Communication with the "support team" is very slow. It can take days to get a reply if you report a problem. - Communication with clients is not possible, the linguist cannot make them aware of mistakes in the source texts or ask questions for clarification. - The only communication platform for exchange with colleagues is in a closed Facebook group and you can get "fired" if you criticize the company there. - The company leaders and the "support team" are not linguists themselves and they give bad advice to the clients, for example to address the readers "informally". They also enter translations full of mistakes into their AI-driven translation machines and make them "non-editable", so the mistakes cannot be fixed, ever. The leadership totally ignores fault reports and advice given by their linguists regarding errors and mistakes, and does not correct them. - Altogether, the platform is perhaps useful as a playground for AI, IT and language students, but definitely not ready to serve corporate clients."

And yet it may happen. A "system" that is suitable for FAQs and chat messages may be used to translate BLOODY COMPLICATED things that require BLOODY EDUCATION. What would end it? Somebody's DEATH after "blackened steel" is translated as "carbon steel" by a BLOODY WAITER or BLOODY MOST ADVANCED ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE EVER? Maybe, maybe not.
Collapse

Baran Keki
María Bernabeu Blanes

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are any other translators having a quiet period workwise?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »