daniel gwire
daniel gwire  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:39
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 28

In my 25 year long career in the translation industry I've had many instances of translation agencies who ask you out of the blue to join their team. This involves filling out application and/or registration forms and signing NDAs. When you're all signed up they promise to send work soon - but nothing ever happens! Just last March, at a time when I really needed work since I was still suffering from the effects of the Russian-Ukraine war, I had to go through hoops with an Italian agency just to ... See more
In my 25 year long career in the translation industry I've had many instances of translation agencies who ask you out of the blue to join their team. This involves filling out application and/or registration forms and signing NDAs. When you're all signed up they promise to send work soon - but nothing ever happens! Just last March, at a time when I really needed work since I was still suffering from the effects of the Russian-Ukraine war, I had to go through hoops with an Italian agency just to complete the registration form because they had special requirements. When I finished they promised work within two weeks. I'm still waiting! This problem is ongoing but I still go through the process because you never know - this time it might be for real!Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Thiago Capatti
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Slobodan Kozarčić
Philip Lees
Andriy Yasharov
Adrian MM.

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:39
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
sales people having to achieve targets Feb 28

A lot of it is to do with the vendor managers or sales people having to achieve their targets for the year or month. They need to sign up translators or pad out their databases. It has nothing to do with their projects. Very few contacts via sales people end up with work from project managers. If work does come, maybe -just maybe- it's months or years down the line.

[Edited at 2024-02-28 12:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-02-28 15:00 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan
Thiago Capatti
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Philip Lees
Andriy Yasharov
Yasutomo Kanazawa

daniel gwire
daniel gwire  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:39
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Feb 28

Thanks Keith! For years I didn't know what on earth was going on. But I didn't really think too much about it because I was getting enough work elsewhere. It's only now during a dearth of work that I've started thinking seriously about this.

Cecília Alves
Lucia Menini

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Daniel Feb 28

To avoid wasting my time and theirs, what I usually do when I am contacted by an agency just to fill their databases is telling upfront what my rates are. More than often, they tend to disappear immediately, but I had one or two cases of a sudden reappearance many years later. The life of a professional translator is full of surprises (some are good…)!

Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
Anne Maclennan
Silke Walter
Jorge Payan
Anton Konashenok
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 13:39
Romanian to English
+ ...
I have a good story Feb 28

Years ago I got contacted by an agency who offered me a contract to deploy me as an interpreter for a year to a military base. From the very beginning I asked about the salary, but they dodged, telling me that I must pass all their test (knowledge, military vocab, medical tests, etc.) Six months later, after I passed all their tests (for which they spent over $1,000.00) they asked me to come to Washington, DC for the final training. Every time I corresponded with them I asked them about the pay.... See more
Years ago I got contacted by an agency who offered me a contract to deploy me as an interpreter for a year to a military base. From the very beginning I asked about the salary, but they dodged, telling me that I must pass all their test (knowledge, military vocab, medical tests, etc.) Six months later, after I passed all their tests (for which they spent over $1,000.00) they asked me to come to Washington, DC for the final training. Every time I corresponded with them I asked them about the pay. Finally, they accepted to give me the numbers. It was laughable! It was less than half I make being home, therefore I declined their offer. At least, I had all my medical tests done for free!Collapse

Kay Denney
philgoddard
Adrian MM.

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 12:39
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
"Up in the air" Feb 29

Have you seen this movie? In one scene, the young woman gets "dumped" by her fiance over a text message, without explanation. And have you heard about recent tech-industry firings? Some of them without even a text message.
I sensed that something was wrong years ago, when even large agencies started sending mass emails for projects, which looked very much like personal emails. In hindsight, they were just training rookie PMs. They didn't even have the courtesy to say "This is a mass email"
... See more
Have you seen this movie? In one scene, the young woman gets "dumped" by her fiance over a text message, without explanation. And have you heard about recent tech-industry firings? Some of them without even a text message.
I sensed that something was wrong years ago, when even large agencies started sending mass emails for projects, which looked very much like personal emails. In hindsight, they were just training rookie PMs. They didn't even have the courtesy to say "This is a mass email" (which is perfectly respectful, if you clearly label it this way). Cheap deception, resulting in tons of people wasting their time to read and respond on an almost daily basis. They have stopped lately, probably because translators finally stopped responding.
You're going to see lots of "social-media-like" behaviors from them, a generation that thrives in ways to attract attention and cause empty participation. If I could advise Jerome Powell, I'd tell him "jack it up to 10%, keep it there for 20 years, and have Congress force private US companies to publish audited & detailed financial statements - for behavioral correction".
It's not fair, of course, that they are asking you to be perfect from your side, while they can behave like spoiled unresponsive pricks from their side. They won't even tell you if you're "fired" so to speak or the reasons, so that you could, perhaps, give them a better price or service. Because they can't create opportunities; they're used to opportunities falling from the sky: markets flushed with cheap money, desperate investors in 0% environments trying to place their money on the first nonsense they'll see, wealthy parents, and all excuses on their side. They even dictate terms out of the scope of commercial law in their countries, and ask you to sign.
My advice - Stop participating in settings where you'll be treated like that. And if most or all translators stop participating and responding, the behavior from the other side will change as well.
PS. Most of them don't have recruitment departments - the entire company is 3-4 part-timers.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agencies who mislead you

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »