Estelle Demontrond-Box
Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:19
English to French
+ ...
Dec 8, 2004

Hi everybody!
I am currently reorganising my CV and would welcome any tips regarding a functional resume. I have qualifications and experience in both teaching and translating, and I am also a writer. This makes it a little bit tricky when it comes to putting a CV together, especially since I did these various jobs sometimes at the same time! I am sure some of you have had the same problem so please, help!
Thank you!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
German to English
+ ...
Difficult CV Dec 8, 2004

What is the CV for? What kind of position are you applying for?

Marc

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:19
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Here's what I do Dec 9, 2004

I also work both as a translator and a teacher and I also had many jobs in the past.

At the section "Professional experience" I divided it in 3 parts, as follows:

TRANSLATION:
(and I describe all the works I did and also current works; I usually add the new ones as they arise)

TEACHING:
(the same as before)

OTHER JOBS:
(and I describe what I've done in the past).

When I send my CV to a school I put the teaching ex
... See more
I also work both as a translator and a teacher and I also had many jobs in the past.

At the section "Professional experience" I divided it in 3 parts, as follows:

TRANSLATION:
(and I describe all the works I did and also current works; I usually add the new ones as they arise)

TEACHING:
(the same as before)

OTHER JOBS:
(and I describe what I've done in the past).

When I send my CV to a school I put the teaching experience in first place, and when I apply for a translation job I put the translation experience in the first place.

You could also enclose a section with your writing experience.

When I first wrote my CV all the jobs were mixed up, but I think that this part is now more readable, since I separated everything.
Collapse

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obrigada Ivana Dec 9, 2004

At the section "Professional experience" I divided it in 3 parts

This is really helpful. It was my plan but I am glad to se that others have done it! Muit obrigrada!

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Various positions Dec 9, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

What is the CV for? What kind of position are you applying for?

Marc

It could be either for translating, teaching or writing.
Thank you

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Various positions Dec 9, 2004

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:

It could be either for translating, teaching or writing.

If I were looking for a salaried position, I'd tailor my CV to each individual potential job, emphasizing the relevant parts of my experience. Having said that, there are likely to be legal constraints in the UK on over-emphasizing certain aspects of your experience if it could mislead an employer.

It's much nicer being self-employed and not having these constraints or needing to write CVs.

Marc

Kit Cree
Kit Cree  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
less is more Dec 9, 2004

Hi Estelle,
In my time I have done a lot of teacher selection for language schools and read A LOT of CVs from people who teach, translate anda whole lot more besides. I agreed with what has been said before about tailoring your CV to the job you are applying for, remembering that professional expereince is always good to mention - not the waitressing job when you were 16 - but relevant experience which could be useful in a new post.
When selecting teachers I was always interested in
... See more
Hi Estelle,
In my time I have done a lot of teacher selection for language schools and read A LOT of CVs from people who teach, translate anda whole lot more besides. I agreed with what has been said before about tailoring your CV to the job you are applying for, remembering that professional expereince is always good to mention - not the waitressing job when you were 16 - but relevant experience which could be useful in a new post.
When selecting teachers I was always interested in their previous jobs with a view to giving them teaching work in companies. The same applies for translation.

What I would say is - keep it short! You have to make it readable or whoever you've sent it to will get bored. Believe me, I read some very very dull CVs which were badly layed out and inappropriate. Keep details of experience to a basic minimum which could be picked up on at interview, if relevant. Don't list everyting you've ever translated and who it was for. You need eye-catching keywords.
If you want to send your cv to me, I'd be happy to have a look at it.
Kit
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difficult CV

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »