Time zone question
Thread poster: Anne Louise
Anne Louise
Anne Louise
United States
Local time: 12:33
Spanish to English
Feb 18, 2005

When clients post a job with a closing time for bids, do they mean their own time zone, or are they using GMT?

When a European client says closing time for bids is 9:00 PM, what time zone are they referring to? Would a person in the USA need to be up in the middle of the night to be an "early bird"?

I see the site time displayed on the top left of the website - how are we to use that?

Jeff Skinner
Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:33
Swedish to English
+ ...
Argument from anecdotes Feb 18, 2005

In my as-yet limited experience, it's best to ask the client what time zone they're talking about. I just dealt with a client, via my ProZ mailbox, whose letters were stamped with Pacific time - but he's in New York. It was just a matter of one e-mail to get the deadline time clarified and I was off to work on the job.

In short: when in doubt, ask.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you refer to this website Feb 18, 2005

Anne Louise wrote:

I see the site time displayed on the top left of the website - how are we to use that?

Site time is UMT (Universal Metric Time), i.e., almost equal to GMT without daylight saving.

Anne Louise
Anne Louise
United States
Local time: 12:33
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I understand! Feb 18, 2005

Thanks for the advice; I've got it figured out now. Many thanks for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time zone question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »