best profile competition/gara miglior profilo (also under \"Suggestions\")
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Apr 11, 2002

Ragazzi, scusate l\'inglese, ma \"posto\" il messaggio anche qui per completezza.

I have a suggestion for Henry, here. Why not organize a best profile competition, with the best 3 profiles awarded BrowniZ and a limited exposure on the main page? We only need an e-mail address or a thread where we can post our URLs. Henry could choose the \"judges\", or they could be found on a volontary basis. What do you think?

Giovanni

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:56
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are the surest winner! Apr 11, 2002

I won\'t enter in the contest. I consider that your profile is, without doubt, the best!! Congratulations!

(Could you help me with mine?) I remenber that not so long ago there was a kind of guide for doing a better profile, but now I don\'t find it.

Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:56
German to English
+ ...
That would lead... Apr 11, 2002

...to a stampede of false statements, boasting, embellishment of people\'s profiles. It all depends what criteria you define. Best logo, best tagline, best qualifications, most languages offered? It\'s a bit like saying, let\'s have a competition for the best CVs or resumes. Profiles are what they are - the only criterion a good profile should fulfil is that it offers a minimum standard of correct, truthful information.

Sorry Giovanni, I don\'t mean to jump down your th
... See more
...to a stampede of false statements, boasting, embellishment of people\'s profiles. It all depends what criteria you define. Best logo, best tagline, best qualifications, most languages offered? It\'s a bit like saying, let\'s have a competition for the best CVs or resumes. Profiles are what they are - the only criterion a good profile should fulfil is that it offers a minimum standard of correct, truthful information.

Sorry Giovanni, I don\'t mean to jump down your throat, but given the recent discussions on false profiles/untrue statements, this is maybe not such a good idea.

K.
Collapse

Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
May I add... Apr 11, 2002

...that your profile IS indeed fantastic, and that I would not wish to compete...

but I also just saw you said \"post our URLs\". Did you mean a best homepage competition, and I got you wrong?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
HTML tutorial Apr 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-11 14:26, Clarisa wrote:

I won\'t enter in the contest. I consider that your profile is, without doubt, the best!! Congratulations!

(Could you help me with mine?) I remenber that not so long ago there was a kind of guide for doing a better profile, but now I don\'t find it.

You can find a link to... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-11 14:26, Clarisa wrote:

You can find a link to the tutorial on my profile page. Scroll down to the bottom.

Also, when you enter \"Edit your profile\" you will find there a link to the same tutorial.

Gianfranco

Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Gianfranco's tutorial is... Apr 11, 2002

very easy to follow and allows you to create a much better profile. I\'ve used it many times myself!

Giovanni

FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Non c'è gara... Apr 11, 2002

Giovannni, per me il miglior profilo per grafica e originalità è sicuramente il tuo... (sul piano della grafica potrebbe arrivare a pari merito con quello di Gianfranco ma in quanto a originalità il tuo è senz\'altro superiore, secondo il mio modesto parere).

Per quanto riguarda i contenuti, credo che il profilo di MaxMario (alias Mario Abc) sia insuperabile...

Perciò non c\'è gara.

FP

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:56
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
grazie mille Apr 11, 2002

Gianfranco,grazie mille! I\'ll use it!

Clarisa

Marisapad
Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
concordo con Francesco.... Apr 11, 2002

... non c\'è gara.

Ci avete \"stracciato\" con i vostri profili, il tuo fu addirittura apprezzato da \"Bill-Francesco Gates-Pugliano\" in data 1 Aprile, cosa vuoi di più dalla vita? (E non rispondere \"... un lucano!\" perché te lo mandiamo davero un bel pastore lucano dai sassi di Matera, che ti strapazza ben bene e ti dice: \"in Lucania abbiamo poche spiagge, ma....\".)

Scherzi a parte, complimenti ai belli, noi normali siamo forse anche un po\' tro
... See more
... non c\'è gara.

Ci avete \"stracciato\" con i vostri profili, il tuo fu addirittura apprezzato da \"Bill-Francesco Gates-Pugliano\" in data 1 Aprile, cosa vuoi di più dalla vita? (E non rispondere \"... un lucano!\" perché te lo mandiamo davero un bel pastore lucano dai sassi di Matera, che ti strapazza ben bene e ti dice: \"in Lucania abbiamo poche spiagge, ma....\".)

Scherzi a parte, complimenti ai belli, noi normali siamo forse anche un po\' troppo pigri per competere.

Marisa
Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
E' vero Apr 11, 2002

non c\'è gara, concordo con Marisa e Francesco!

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:56
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I agree with Karin Gartshore Apr 11, 2002

Karin said:

\"Profiles are what they are - the only criterion a good profile should fulfil is that it offers a minimum standard of correct, truthful information.\"

Yes, I agree with you Karin. This might lead people put there info that might not be true. Also, do you think of people \"stealing profiles?\" It already happened with mine. The newest member of my community copied and pasted everything from my profile (with some minor changes, for example she put her own name th
... See more
Karin said:

\"Profiles are what they are - the only criterion a good profile should fulfil is that it offers a minimum standard of correct, truthful information.\"

Yes, I agree with you Karin. This might lead people put there info that might not be true. Also, do you think of people \"stealing profiles?\" It already happened with mine. The newest member of my community copied and pasted everything from my profile (with some minor changes, for example she put her own name there and also her school

names were different from mine) and everything that she wrote on her own was misspelled (no kidding!). Has this ever happen to anyone before? What

do you do in these type of cases? I mean I have seen some other people copy

only one or two sentences from each-other, but this case is one of a kind.

See for yourself.

My profile: (http://www.proz.com/translator/1276)

Hers:

(http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_s=31556&pair=en_al&lo=23)

[addsig]
Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
German to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-11 14:26, KGartshore wrote:

...to a stampede of false statements, boasting, embellishment of people\'s profiles. It all depends what criteria you define. Best logo, best tagline, best qualifications, most languages offered? It\'s a bit like saying, let\'s have a competition for the best CVs or resumes. Profiles are what they are - the only criterion a good profile should fulfil is that it offers a minimum stan... See more
Quote:

Sorry Giovanni, I don\'t mean to jump down your throat, but given the recent discussions on false profiles/untrue statements, this is maybe not such a good idea.

K.

I agree on all points. Besides, I think there can be too much movement, too many old gimmicks, too many distractions. That old, old gimmick: \"Follow the sky diver\" is all of it: old, a gimmick, distracting, without any relevance to translation or linguistic...

Agencies already treat translators like a bunch of children. I do not want to deliver artwork for their refrigerators by the water cooler.

Sorry, I think it is a terrible idea.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-11 18:58 ]Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
It has happened several times Apr 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-11 17:49, monika wrote:

Karin said:

Yes, I agree with you Karin. This might lead people put there info that might not be true. Also, do you think of people \"stealing profiles?\" It already happened with mine. The newest member of my community ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-11 17:49, monika wrote:

Karin said:

Yes, I agree with you Karin. This might lead people put there info that might not be true. Also, do you think of people \"stealing profiles?\" It already happened with mine. The newest member of my community copied and pasted everything from my profile (with some minor changes, for example she put her own name there and also her school

names were different from mine) and everything that she wrote on her own was misspelled (no kidding!). Has this ever happen to anyone before? What

do you do in these type of cases? I mean I have seen some other people copy

only one or two sentences from each-other, but this case is one of a kind.

See for yourself.

My profile: (http://www.proz.com/translator/1276)

Hers:

(http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_s=31556&pair=en_al&lo=23)

It has happened to me twice: one copied essential passages from my own personal website and put it into his ProZ profile (just like in your example, with terrible mistakes); another one did the same, but included it in her personal website.

They both copied sections such as \"FAQ\", \"Tips for clients\" - even \"Rates & Payment\", etc. - word for word! ▲ Collapse

German to English
+ ...
Sorry, Giovanni Apr 11, 2002

Quote:

...to a stampede of false statements, boasting, embellishment of people\'s profiles. It all depends what criteria you define. Best logo, best tagline, best qualifications, most languages offered? It\'s a bit like saying, let\'s have a competition for the best CVs or resumes. Profiles are what they are - the only criterion a good profile should fulfil is that it offers a minimum stan... See more
Quote:

K.

I tend to agree with you on most issues, but this time I have to side with Karin.

It\'s nice to have a few extra HTML tools to enhance one\'s profile, but I believe the original plan behind member profiles was to give clients a quick overview, preferably on a single screen, without having to scroll down, down, down, ... .

Karin is also right in assuming that this \"competition\" would lead to a new flood of untrue statements about working languages, skills, qualifications, etc. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

best profile competition/gara miglior profilo (also under \"Suggestions\")

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »