Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use Google Translate in your everyday work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:50
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Correct, Philip Apr 4, 2019

Philip Lees wrote:

Of course, I would never use use Google translate to generate a target text to send to a client, or even to produce a preliminary draft for editing. However, I do use MT in my work in various ways...

What I meant was people who "pass" the entire text through GT, then "revise" it to fix and deliver a translation. The results of this kind of job are disastrous, thought those who do it always deny it.

Eoghan McMonagle

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Apr 4, 2019

It takes too long to fix the output.

Eoghan McMonagle

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:50
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
I do, but with the proverbial pinch of salt Apr 4, 2019

It does happen, and I, for one, do use it at times.

For instance, last year I was involved in a translation project for the catalogues of an international architectural exhibition, each entry including a description of the project submitted. Many of the entrants had clearly used GT to 'translate' those, with laughable and at times totally unintelligible outcomes.

Having the visual references at hand, in most cases I managed to make sense of what they meant running the
... See more
It does happen, and I, for one, do use it at times.

For instance, last year I was involved in a translation project for the catalogues of an international architectural exhibition, each entry including a description of the project submitted. Many of the entrants had clearly used GT to 'translate' those, with laughable and at times totally unintelligible outcomes.

Having the visual references at hand, in most cases I managed to make sense of what they meant running the obscure excerpts through GT, sometimes with a couple of passages in different languages. In at least a couple of cases, though, I could make no head or tail of the ‘official’ texts submitted, even with multiple tentative renditions from GT, and some toing and froing with my client to try to work out what the possible meaning might have been.
Collapse

Eoghan McMonagle

Manuela Grün
Manuela Grün  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Google stores data Apr 4, 2019

neilmac wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Why would I use anything related to Google, let alone their "translation" feature? To support their way of doing business or respect their users' privacy? Not in this life.

I'm afraid I'll never quite get my head round this attitude. It's simply another tool translators can add to their arsenal if they like. Obviously, I'd never use it to translate whole screeds of text willy-nilly, but judiciously used, it can be useful.

I have also yet to fathom what the issue is with Google's business model, apart from the fact that they manage to get away without paying taxes in several countries, but surely that's up to the tax authorities of the countries in question to do something about?

As for privacy concerns in this day and age, I think the relinquishing to a certain extent of one's personal information is simply the quid pro quo of using this type of service. Nobody obliges you to enter the deal.

[Edited at 2019-04-03 16:33 GMT]

I do have customers who actually and directly ask me very nicely not to use Google Translate (not that I do, it's just in their instructions due to bad experience), because they fear data leakage. Google Translate is a public tool and open to anyone, i. e. it can be more easily hacked. Google stores any data, i. e. the data you entered there as well and, Facebook being a pretty good example, there is the possibility of data leakage. My customers are especially sensitive about stuff like news, descriptions of new products, launch of new technology, etc.
I don't think that looking for one sentence hurts anyone, for example if you don't get something or need an idea and after looking at the suggestion, creating your own one, but inserting whole text parts or even sentences with your customer's name in it, is definitely not a good idea, especially if you care about quality and customer confidence.

[Edited at 2019-04-04 13:47 GMT]

Eoghan McMonagle
Eoghan McMonagle  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
For some language pairs, a bit Apr 6, 2019

I have found Google's French to English translation for certain translation areas (Business/Legal) are excellent for about the past year or so. Nevertheless I would NEVER dream of using it as an actual translation tool as a professional.
One thing I did strange is that French to English is fine, however Spanish to English is not, which is surprising.
Needless to say, German to English or Russian to English gives useless (and sometimes incomprehensible) results in my experience.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use Google Translate in your everyday work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »