Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which language do you use most when writing emails to your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 09:49
English to Tamil
+ ...
English May 17, 2021

I always use English in writing emails to my clients. English is my second language. I am eager to use Tamil in writing emails to clients. But they may have difficulty in comprehending Tamil.

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:19
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other May 17, 2021

I reply in Swedish to a Swedish message, in English to an English message. I have one client who sometimes uses one, sometimes the other - I respond in kind, simply echoing her choice.

Kay Denney
María José Domínguez Camba

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:19
French to English
. May 17, 2021

Agneta Pallinder wrote:

I reply in Swedish to a Swedish message, in English to an English message. I have one client who sometimes uses one, sometimes the other - I respond in kind, simply echoing her choice.

ditto except replace Swedish with French. I'm surprised this answer only cropped up on page 2!

If I were to receive a request in German or Spanish, I would probably try at least to write something like "I'm sorry my German/Spanish is not very good, so I'm writing back in English, I hope you understand" then continue in English.
If I were to receive a request in any other language, I would simply write in English, starting with an apology that I don't speak their language.

However, neither of those scenarios have ever arisen.

Steve Simpson
Steve Simpson
Italy
Swedish to English
+ ...
English or Swedish May 17, 2021

If I'm contacted in Swedish, or I'm writing to a Swedish agency or client, I'll use Swedish.

Otherwise I'll use English.

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
English Frwnch or Croatian May 18, 2021

If the client is French I use French, with the rest of my clients I use English and I have very few Croatian clients but for some reason my compatriot clients write to me in English....

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which language do you use most when writing emails to your clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »