Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Carlos Castillo
Carlos Castillo
Venezuela
Local time: 08:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Full specification of SRT format, or video player (or subtitle editor) with most "accurate" support. Aug 20, 2021

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Carlos,

I don't think there's any "standard" or "accurate" way of handling these formatting errors — it's up to a player's devs to decide how they want to treat them. And, as practice shows, they decide very differently. But yes, VLC is fine in this regard.

Great. Thank you very much for your reply, Max.

Brendan McNally
Brendan McNally  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
Format of subtitling Aug 24, 2021

Hi

I'm translating subtitles from French to English, just in a Word document. The format of the timings are;
00:00:32,120 --> 00:00:34,360
00:00:34,360 --> 00:00:37,080 etc.

Do I need to convert this (eg replace comma with decimal point), or is this format universal.

Thanks
Brendan

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:11
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 25, 2021

Brendan McNally wrote:

Hi

I'm translating subtitles from French to English, just in a Word document. The format of the timings are;
00:00:32,120 --> 00:00:34,360
00:00:34,360 --> 00:00:37,080 etc.

Do I need to convert this (eg replace comma with decimal point), or is this format universal.

Thanks
Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Whether or not you need to convert depends on your client's requirements. But yes, this is the standard SRT timecode format.

Brendan McNally
Brendan McNally  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (Mar 2024)
French to English
+ ...
thanks! Aug 25, 2021

Thanks, yes I just wanted to know if this was a standard international format.

Max Deryagin

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
English to Portuguese
On-screen text Aug 30, 2021

Dear colleagues,

After years working as translator/subtitler, I recently received a new task (as if the workload was not enough already...).
One of my clients is asking me to translate the on-screen text that appears in some programs, mainly people's names and roles, and argues that they should not pay me extra for that.

My question is: what is the standard procedure in these cases? Should I ask an extra or is this considered part of the normal text to translate?<
... See more
Dear colleagues,

After years working as translator/subtitler, I recently received a new task (as if the workload was not enough already...).
One of my clients is asking me to translate the on-screen text that appears in some programs, mainly people's names and roles, and argues that they should not pay me extra for that.

My question is: what is the standard procedure in these cases? Should I ask an extra or is this considered part of the normal text to translate?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
António.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 30, 2021

António Madeira wrote:

Dear colleagues,

My question is: what is the standard procedure in these cases? Should I ask an extra or is this considered part of the normal text to translate?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
António.

Hi António,

If your client pays you per video minute, then there should be no difference. If per subtitle or word, then they should pay extra, of course. Translating such on-screen text is usually considered a standard part of the workflow.

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
English to Portuguese
👍 Aug 30, 2021

Thank you very much, Max.

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 14:11
English to French
It depends, actually Aug 31, 2021

Are you required to subtitle those captions or provide a separate file/translation for them to be added separately in post-production? In the latter case, it is perfectly normal to charge extra for this work. If you have both subtitles and that kind of captions showing at the same TCs, it is double work.

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
English to Portuguese
- Sep 1, 2021

This: "provide a separate file/translation for them to be added separately in post-production".

For me, that's the problem. It's an extra task I have to do besides translating and subtitling, because they must go in a srt file, instead of pac or stl, precisely because the captions show over the normal time codes.

Sylvano

Idzwan Ramli
Idzwan Ramli  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 20:11
Member (2021)
English to Malay
+ ...
How to increase efficiency in MTPE subtitling Sep 1, 2021

Hi,

I am getting MTPE subtitling from several agencies now.

i) This means I do not have to transcribe.
ii) I only receive Machine Translated text
iii) I review and edit to ensure grammar, quality and localisation.

In many instances, I do not even have to timecode.

I want to ask tips to increase efficiency.

It sounds easy but reviewing and editing someone else's work is also draining as it was not your text in the first
... See more
Hi,

It sounds easy but reviewing and editing someone else's work is also draining as it was not your text in the first place and thus focusing and editing it requires more intensity and focus to make it all 'sound right'.

Would appreciate tips to increase efficiency and make it more simple and faster.

Thanks
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 1, 2021

Idzwan Ramli wrote:

Hi,

It sounds easy but reviewing and editing someone else's work is also draining as it was not your text in the first place and thus focusing and editing it requires more intensity and focus to make it all 'sound right'.

Would appreciate tips to increase efficiency and make it more simple and faster.

Thanks

Hi Idzwan,

I'm afraid there's no good way to easily boost your efficiency while ensuring high quality when it comes to MPTE, at least as of now. It's often as much work as translating from scratch (if not more), but the pay is always smaller — just an excuse LSPs use to squeeze a bit more money into their pockets. I'm afraid I can't give you any MTPE tips, but I'd like to invite you to read the AVTE Machine Translation Manifesto. Perhaps you'll find it helpful in one way or another.

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:11
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Information on Subtitling Course Sep 17, 2021

Hi Max
I hope all is well.
Once again, I'm looking for some advice from you.
Do you know, by any chance, anything about the courses from TranslaStars?
I am interested in a course they offer:
ProD+T Subtitling and Closed Captioning,
and I'm trying to get some references about it before enrolling.

... See more
Hi Max
I hope all is well.

https://www.translastars.com/course/subtitling-closed-captioning
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 17, 2021

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco) wrote:

Hi Max
I hope all is well.

https://www.translastars.com/course/subtitling-closed-captioning

Hi Liliane,

No, I'm afraid I haven't heard of this course. If you decide to take it, please share your experience!

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:11
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks and one more question. Sep 18, 2021

If I decide to do it, I will let you know how it is.

Another question, usually subtitlers rate for CC are higher than for Subtitles? In other words, if you have an order for CC without script and template would you charge more than for Subtitles without script and template?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 18, 2021

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco) wrote:

If I decide to do it, I will let you know how it is.

Another question, usually subtitlers rate for CC are higher than for Subtitles? In other words, if you have an order for CC without script and template would you charge more than for Subtitles without script and template?

If you're talking about the technical difference, i.e. if both subtitles (SDH) and closed captions need to have non-speech information included (sound descriptions, name labels, etc.), I wouldn't charge more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »