What is the current rate for subtitling?
Thread poster: jinli3434
jinli3434
jinli3434
Local time: 02:06
Chinese
Mar 7, 2022

I am new here and interested of subtitling and anyone knows the requirements and rate for sutitling? Thanks.

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:06
English to French
+ ...
Uh… ‘It depends’? Mar 7, 2022

There's no such thing as a standard rate. Your rate is influenced by your language pairs, your field(s) of specialty, your work experience in said field(s), your qualifications as a translator (degree + experience for technical translations), how tech-savvy you are, your monthly/quarterly/yearly expenses (including taxes, retirement plans, insurances, ProZ membership, marketing, etc.), your expected earnings, your expected worktime dedicated to translation, your actual translation speed, your ne... See more
There's no such thing as a standard rate. Your rate is influenced by your language pairs, your field(s) of specialty, your work experience in said field(s), your qualifications as a translator (degree + experience for technical translations), how tech-savvy you are, your monthly/quarterly/yearly expenses (including taxes, retirement plans, insurances, ProZ membership, marketing, etc.), your expected earnings, your expected worktime dedicated to translation, your actual translation speed, your need for vacations/holidays… and this short answer only covers the rock-bottom basics to start the process. So… yeah, ‘it depends’. You won't find a definite answer here, and even ProZ's recommended rates are actually skewed by the bottom-feeders.Collapse

Dalia Nour
Veronica Montserrat
Jorge Payan
jinli3434

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Q: What is the current rate for subtitling? Mar 7, 2022

A: Bad. Very bad.

Dalia Nour
Matheus Gui
Jorge Payan
jinli3434

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
As a rule of thumb Mar 7, 2022

See how much subtitling agencies propose you, and then double that rate. In my experience, most agencies propose roughly half what the standard rate should be.

Jo Macdonald
jinli3434
roeland
Adriana Campos
Carlos Tineo

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
What if... Mar 8, 2022

...they offer you $0.5/video-minute?

Jocelin Meunier wrote:

See how much subtitling agencies propose you, and then double that rate.

roeland
roeland  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
I was quite surprised Mar 10, 2022

I received a lot of requests for subtitling over the last months so I was looking into it to expand my offering only to find out that the rates from agencies is about 20 to 30% of the going rate for "regular" translations. I think I will skip this market for the time being.

Mr. Satan (X)
jinli3434

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
In that case Mar 10, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

...they offer you $0.5/video-minute?

Jocelin Meunier wrote:

See how much subtitling agencies propose you, and then double that rate.

I just tell them "nope".

Extremely low rates aside, subtitling is usually my bread and butter, but lately I can't even find agencies that accept more than 3.5$ per minute, I have a feeling that subtitling is slowly dying as a business prospect (at least on the translator's side).

Mr. Satan (X)
yam2u
jinli3434

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Calculate your rates Mar 11, 2022

If 1 minute of video takes you (X) minutes to subtitle
Divide 1 hour by (X) minutes to find how many (Y) minutes of video you can subtitle in 1 hour.
Divide your hourly rate by (Y) minutes of video to find your rate/minute of video

Check by dividing several hours of work to see how many minutes you do over several hours.

For $3.5/minute
If:
1 minute of video takes about 20 minutes to subtitle
3 minutes of video takes 1 hour.
$3.5/min
... See more
If 1 minute of video takes you (X) minutes to subtitle
Divide 1 hour by (X) minutes to find how many (Y) minutes of video you can subtitle in 1 hour.
Divide your hourly rate by (Y) minutes of video to find your rate/minute of video

Check by dividing several hours of work to see how many minutes you do over several hours.

For $3.5/minute
If:
1 minute of video takes about 20 minutes to subtitle
3 minutes of video takes 1 hour.
$3.5/minute of video = 3 minutes of video = $10.5/h

My hourly rate and my rate for subtitling is about 3x that.
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Adriana Campos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the current rate for subtitling?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »