Jitka Doležalová
Jitka Doležalová
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:51
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 21, 2022

Hello,

I have to do a subtitle test for an agency.
Their requirement is to produce 25 frames per second. I have no idea what it means and how to do it.

I downloaded the Subtitle framerate charger. Should I create subtitles and then upload them to this software?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:51
English to Russian
It depends Nov 22, 2022

What software are you going to use? Do you already have a subtitle file that you need to translate or are you supposed to crate it from scratch? If you already have one, what format is it?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
FPS Nov 22, 2022

25 FPS is the number of frames in each second of a video. It'll help if you think of a video as moving images, like in flip books. To quote myself:

Mr. Satan wrote:

For those who are not already familiar with the frames per second (FPS) measurement, this means for each second of the video, there are x number of frames. In a 24 FPS video, 1 second contains 24 frames. In a 30 FPS video, 1 second contains 30 frames. And so on, and so forth.

You don't produce 25 FPS subtitles per se. The subtitles only use it to adjust their timing to the audio/visual cues. Working on the wrong FPS value could cause the subtitles to be out of sync. I don't know what Subtitle Framerate Changer does, but I strongly advise against using it, as it may mess up the timing entirely. Most professional-grade subtitling software should automatically detect the video FPS (and let you input the FPS value manually, if required), so you don't need to worry too much about it.

EDIT:
Didn't know that Stepan and Max already gave you solid answers in another thread. Welp.

[Edited at 2022-11-22 11:16 GMT]

Kristopher Brame

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:51
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Probably a misunderstanding Nov 22, 2022

I can't imagine they want you to change the frame rate. Videos are typically exported in 24, 25 and 30 FPS (occasionally 60 FPS for soap operas). North and much of South America use 24 FPS and the rest of the world more or less uses 25 FPS, but people often use 30 FPS for online content regardless of where they are. I definitely agree with Mr. Satan that you shouldn't try to change the frame rate.

Maybe they meant the video is a 25 FPS video. Or that you should have a minimum subtit
... See more
I can't imagine they want you to change the frame rate. Videos are typically exported in 24, 25 and 30 FPS (occasionally 60 FPS for soap operas). North and much of South America use 24 FPS and the rest of the world more or less uses 25 FPS, but people often use 30 FPS for online content regardless of where they are. I definitely agree with Mr. Satan that you shouldn't try to change the frame rate.

Maybe they meant the video is a 25 FPS video. Or that you should have a minimum subtitle duration of 25 frames.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:51
English to Russian
Lack of information Nov 22, 2022

Kristopher Brame wrote:
I can't imagine they want you to change...
There is no evidence of what the original poster is supposed to do. Probably they don't want to change anything but they just instructed Ell123 to make sure the subtitles are created for a 25 fps video. You can set it before starting the work. The other scenario is that they simply want to check if Ell123 knows how to change the frame rate. This is a test after all.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Nah Nov 23, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

The other scenario is that they simply want to check if Ell123 knows how to change the frame rate. This is a test after all.

I don't think this is the case.

Jitka Doležalová
Jitka Doležalová
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:51
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agency Instruction Nov 30, 2022

Thank you all for your responses.

in the instruction from the agency was mentioned: "Please note that in the case of this video, it needs to be 25 frames per second."

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Instruction Nov 30, 2022

Ell123 wrote:

in the instruction from the agency was mentioned: "Please note that in the case of this video, it needs to be 25 frames per second."

They basically just told you, that you'll need to adjust the appropriate configuration in the subtitling software, so it matches with the video FPS. Stepan already demonstrated how to do it in SE, in another thread where you asked this question. Probably not much of a big deal for SRT, as this format uses milliseconds instead of frames for timing. But it's always a good practice to set the same FPS value anyway. Unless they also wanted you to do some telecine wizardry, which is a completely different story altogether. Yet, I still doubt this is the case in this... uh, case.

It's best to ask the PM for more details and clarification. Although I know some agencies get annoyed when the translator is asking questions, so you'll have to judge for yourself if this is a good call to make or not.

Cheers.

[Edited at 2022-11-30 15:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frames per Second

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »