David Urdiales
David Urdiales  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 8, 2022

Hello,

I am working with SDL Trados 2021 (I also have the 2019 version), and I have an Excel file that I have to process before translating it. I have managed to create tags with some of the html code that was inside some sentences, like "...", but for some reason I can´t do the same with the text "\n", (i.e. "Some of the Gear for dismantling have infused spirit.\nDo you wish to continue dismantling?"). I have tried with regular expression and many other things, but, no way. I coul
... See more
Hello,

I am working with SDL Trados 2021 (I also have the 2019 version), and I have an Excel file that I have to process before translating it. I have managed to create tags with some of the html code that was inside some sentences, like "...", but for some reason I can´t do the same with the text "\n", (i.e. "Some of the Gear for dismantling have infused spirit.\nDo you wish to continue dismantling?"). I have tried with regular expression and many other things, but, no way. I couldn´t find how to do it, maybe I am missing one step.

I managed to segment the lines after an "n" in the sentence, but that wasn´t what I was looking for.

Could you please help me with it? I doesn´t need it to be a tag, I just need that SDL doesn´t see it as normal text to be translated, and then puts it back in its place when I export target files.

Thank you very much,
David
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:31
English to Russian
\n stands for a line break Sep 8, 2022

Why don't you want to segment such sentences after the \n tag? This is exactly what it is designed for. Segmenting will not remove the \n in your target Excel file, it will be there when you export the file.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
\\n Sep 8, 2022

If you are absolutely sure that you want a placeholder to replace \n, go to Project Settings - File Types - Microsoft Word 2007-2019 - Embedded content - tick the 'Enable embedded content processing - Extract in all paragraphs - Add... - select 'Placeholder' for the Tag Type field, type \\n for the Start Tag field - click OK two times to save your changes. Then run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task again. Before you click the second OK and run the batch task, you can preview the... See more
If you are absolutely sure that you want a placeholder to replace \n, go to Project Settings - File Types - Microsoft Word 2007-2019 - Embedded content - tick the 'Enable embedded content processing - Extract in all paragraphs - Add... - select 'Placeholder' for the Tag Type field, type \\n for the Start Tag field - click OK two times to save your changes. Then run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task again. Before you click the second OK and run the batch task, you can preview the file to see if your changes do the trick (see the bottom part of the window, Browse and Preview buttons).
Collapse

David Urdiales

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Contradiction Sep 8, 2022

Wait a minute... I have just realized that you don’t want neither segmenting after the \n, nor tagging the \n.
I managed to segment the lines after an "n" in the sentence, but that wasn´t what I was looking for.
vs
I don´t need it to be a tag
Then how do you see it?
Actually, when Trados segments by the \n tags, they (tags themselves) do not vanish. They just get hidden and they will be unhidden after you export your translation.

[Edited at 2022-09-08 23:55 GMT]

David Urdiales
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Stepan it worked Sep 12, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

If you are absolutely sure that you want a placeholder to replace \n, go to Project Settings - File Types - Microsoft Word 2007-2019 - Embedded content - tick the 'Enable embedded content processing - Extract in all paragraphs - Add... - select 'Placeholder' for the Tag Type field, type \\n for the Start Tag field - click OK two times to save your changes. Then run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task again. Before you click the second OK and run the batch task, you can preview the file to see if your changes do the trick (see the bottom part of the window, Browse and Preview buttons).

Thank you very much, it worked!. I was just using "\n" instead of "\\n".

David Urdiales
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don´t explain myself properly Sep 12, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Wait a minute... I have just realized that you don’t want neither segmenting after the \n, nor tagging the \n.
vs
I don´t need it to be a tag
Then how do you see it?
Actually, when Trados segments by the \n tags, they (tags themselves) do not vanish. They just get hidden and they will be unhidden after you export your translation.

[Edited at 2022-09-08 23:55 GMT]

Wel. I don´t explain myself properly. I didn´t need it to be a tag because just to take out the "\n" would be a good help, but now, with your solution, being a tag is much better!

Thank you for your time and have a great week!

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem isolating text in SDL Trados 2021

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »