Thread poster: Mehmet Akıncı
Mehmet Akıncı
Mehmet Akıncı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:15
Arabic to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2022

I started learning Trados Studio 2022 on my own and have been using it for about a week now. I have understood almost all its main features, but some aspects are still unclear.

1. Termbase vs Multiterm? What is the relationship between these two? Is one an alternative to the other or do you use both at the same time?

2. Should my multiterm and termbase file be the same or should I create a separate file for each?

3. I am translating in three languages. Do I
... See more
I started learning Trados Studio 2022 on my own and have been using it for about a week now. I have understood almost all its main features, but some aspects are still unclear.

1. Termbase vs Multiterm? What is the relationship between these two? Is one an alternative to the other or do you use both at the same time?

2. Should my multiterm and termbase file be the same or should I create a separate file for each?

3. I am translating in three languages. Do I need to create a separate termbase file for each language match? Like this:

En-Tr
En-Ar
Ar-En
Ar-Tr
Tr-En
Tr-Ar

4. On Trados we can select a term from the source and target text and add it to the termbase. Is there a way to do the same for multiterm?

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:15
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
A "termbase" is a database of terms, MultiTerm is the name of the software Sep 14, 2022

1) "MultiTerm" is the name of the software application, like Trados Studio or Microsoft Word, whereas the "termbase" is actually a glossary, or, if you prefer, a database of terms.
You can use your MultiTerm termbase when working in Trados Studio, for example to add new terms, to insert terms into your translation or to make changes to your termbase.
You can create new termbases either in Trados Studio, or directly in the MultiTerm environment. If my understanding is correct, it may
... See more
1) "MultiTerm" is the name of the software application, like Trados Studio or Microsoft Word, whereas the "termbase" is actually a glossary, or, if you prefer, a database of terms.
You can use your MultiTerm termbase when working in Trados Studio, for example to add new terms, to insert terms into your translation or to make changes to your termbase.
You can create new termbases either in Trados Studio, or directly in the MultiTerm environment. If my understanding is correct, it may be better for you to work directly within the MultiTerm environment if you want to create a multilingual, or a more complex database.

2) You only need to use a new name for your termbase each time you want to create a new one, for example for a different project.

3) You can certainly have a termbase with multiple language combinations. As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of languages you can add.

4) I'm not sure about this one; working with Trados Studio, yes, as you already mentioned. It may also be possible to do so from another environment, but I have never tried to do so. What I can tell you is that it is possible to import large glossaries and/or quantities of data from other software, for example from Microsoft Excel.

Hope this helps, best regards,
Paul
Collapse

expressisverbis
Mehmet Akıncı

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:15
German to English
Multiterm manages the termbase Sep 14, 2022

Regarding #1, #2 and #4: Multiterm is the software that manages the terminology database. You add terms using Multiterm.

#3: You should keep a separate termbase for each language pair. Multilingual terminology databases can be difficult to manage. Other may disagree.

Someone with more experience with the product can probably give you better advice in this regard.

expressisverbis
Mehmet Akıncı

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Multiterm vs termbase Sep 14, 2022

As was already mentioned above, Multiterm is a piece of software that allows you to manage termbases (sdltm files). However Trados has a built-in functionality that can create termbases even if you don't have Multiterm installed on your computer at all. You still can add, edit and remove terms. You only need Multiterm for some specific terminologist tasks, I can't recall for what you may need it though, but some insist you may. I uninstalled Multiterm several years ago and use Glossary Converter... See more
As was already mentioned above, Multiterm is a piece of software that allows you to manage termbases (sdltm files). However Trados has a built-in functionality that can create termbases even if you don't have Multiterm installed on your computer at all. You still can add, edit and remove terms. You only need Multiterm for some specific terminologist tasks, I can't recall for what you may need it though, but some insist you may. I uninstalled Multiterm several years ago and use Glossary Converter instead. Both Multiterm and Glossary Converter are for free. But actually it is a matter of habit.

For item 1, the relationship is that you can create or edit one (*.sdltb termbase files) using the other (Multiterm). In like manner you use Trados to create or edit translation memories (*.sdltm files).

For item 2, Multiterm is a single program to manage as many termbases as you want or need.

For item 3, try this video.

For item 4, unlike Trados Studio, there is no editable source/target text in Multiterm to grab a pair of terms from, but you still can add terms.

[Edited at 2022-09-15 00:51 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Mehmet Akıncı
Sebastian Witte

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
See also Sep 15, 2022

See also this helpful video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWRyMqGX0o

Mehmet Akıncı
Sebastian Witte

Ruth Wiedekind
Ruth Wiedekind  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
"translating in three languages" Sep 15, 2022

Quoting "... translating in three languages...", this is right away why it is called MultiTerm:
One MultiTerm termbase containes - or may contain - entries (=terms) for several languages!
So, it is not (only) bilingual, as the automatic adding function from Trados Studio might make believe!
Trados Studio just adds your marked terms (in the source and target segments) into the relevant termbase places for the language pair you are translating in.

My MultiTerm ter
... See more
Quoting "... translating in three languages...", this is right away why it is called MultiTerm:
One MultiTerm termbase containes - or may contain - entries (=terms) for several languages!
So, it is not (only) bilingual, as the automatic adding function from Trados Studio might make believe!
Trados Studio just adds your marked terms (in the source and target segments) into the relevant termbase places for the language pair you are translating in.

My MultiTerm termbase e.g. contains the languages DE - EN - FR - ES, i.e. regardless if I am translate FR-DE, ES-DE etc.
Of course, you can create a termbase for each combination. But I am working with my "multilingual termbase" for more than 10 years now. The only negative effect is that the size of the termbase file has increased correspondingly.

Best regards,
Ruth
Collapse

Mehmet Akıncı

Mehmet Akıncı
Mehmet Akıncı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Arabic to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 18, 2022

I read all your replies and it became clearer.

Trados was not seeing the terms in the file I created with MultiTerm before. It turns out that you have to select this file when creating a project. I realized that after a while. Anyway this is what I did: I created one termbase with MultiTerm for all the three languages I work with. I also created a TM for each language pair. In this case, I had 6 TMs and a TB. When I create a project, I select the TM for whichever language pair I am
... See more
I read all your replies and it became clearer.

Trados was not seeing the terms in the file I created with MultiTerm before. It turns out that you have to select this file when creating a project. I realized that after a while. Anyway this is what I did: I created one termbase with MultiTerm for all the three languages I work with. I also created a TM for each language pair. In this case, I had 6 TMs and a TB. When I create a project, I select the TM for whichever language pair I am working on and as TB, I select the file I created for all 3 languages. That's all. I hope I am doing it right. Since this TB is only for translations of official documents, I think that too much, thousands of terms will not accumulate, so the file will not get really large and the program will not get slower.

So far so good. Thank you all.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm vs Termbase

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »