Thread poster: Paul O'Brien
Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Stopped using Trados after Studio 2011 Jan 7, 2023

I find MemoQ the best because it focuses on the translator and not the agency like Studio does. Stopped using it after 2011. I am in control in MemoQ and can do all sorts of things that suits me without having to use a system that is not intuitive (to me). It also deals with Studio files and packages without issue.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:57
English to Russian
Try TWS Jan 8, 2023

When you feel like you want to complain about poor technical progress, first try to work with Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor by LB. It will quickly resolve your problem...
While Smartcat and XTM are free for translators, TWS is not. You have to pay for the tool that can even forget simple commands like Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V, Ctrl+A, etc. all of a sudden.
What regards Quillbot, it only supports one language. It has zero value to me because I don't translate into non-native languages. I
... See more
When you feel like you want to complain about poor technical progress, first try to work with Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor by LB. It will quickly resolve your problem...
While Smartcat and XTM are free for translators, TWS is not. You have to pay for the tool that can even forget simple commands like Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V, Ctrl+A, etc. all of a sudden.
What regards Quillbot, it only supports one language. It has zero value to me because I don't translate into non-native languages. I think the same applies to many other translators who keep this strategy.
For synonyms you can use this AHK script for example: https://jacks-autohotkey-blog.com/2018/04/30/the-synonymlookup-ahk-web-data-driven-app-fails-autohotkey-adjustments/
By the way, speaking of nothing has changed from 2011, there is an app for AHK script managing within Trados. It allows you to import and manage your scripts in one place. You can import the above mentioned synonym script and use it within Studio.
Plus many other advanced apps that are not available even for 2019, not to mention 2011. For example, OPUS CAT, the only free offline NMT engine for Trados, subtitling plugins (can you play a video and translate subtitles from within Quillbot?), CleanUp plugin, etc. Real luddites, who feel overwhelmed with loads of "superfluous" features, can even use Trados TM directly in Word or Notepad (or whatever minimalistic text editor they prefer) using a plugin.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nice Jan 8, 2023

Thank you for the link. The blog contains a lot of nice AutoHotkey scripts that I will explore on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Stepan Konev
expressisverbis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Deleted Jan 8, 2023

Deleted

[Edited at 2023-01-08 11:13 GMT]

Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:57
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Coffee machine Jan 10, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

When you feel like you want to complain about poor technical progress, first try ... etc.

Thanks, Stepan. There are many aids available. Actually, I've just installed the Language Tool plug-in, which doesn't work, so I've asked for help. I'll keep you all posted. Interestingly, as I write here Quillbot is giving me suggestions for improvement. Same on WhatsApp, Gmail etc. I've also installed it in Word. I agree fully that Quillbot is Anglocentric, at least for the moment. But that's no excuse for not having it in Trados. Combined with NMT it really is very good and should help improve productivity in a depressed rate market. It's funny how you know about Quillbot and the so-called "Engineering Team" at RWS don't. That's my point: they are useless. Take the question of synonyms. Fair enough, we're educated people and can think of them ourselves. Or go to Word. Or Google. Or if you are doing a PEMT of a sentence or paragraph, DeepL can suggest synonyms and even sentence structure improvements. But OUTSIDE Trados. Those people told me that if I wanted synonyms I should build my own TermBase! Absolutely offensive. I create my own Thesaurus in a TB while they do FA for 10 years. It's all really very simple: the extra functions of DeepL must be made available INSIDE Trados; Quillbot must be available INSIDE Trados; those useless persons have to have a synonyms option at hand INSIDE Trados. For them, it's basically "do all your work OUTSIDE Trados and then copy and paste it back in. Meantime, we'll just take the pay cheque and stand at the coffee machine".
BTW, I saw on RWS a plug-in for EU terminology. Must try it for when reporting season starts.
On your subtitling point, certainly in Word you can use the microphone to dictate uneditable PDFs and then do your translation in Trados (or wherever). I've never tried using the Word microphone to experiment with, say, a YouTube video. I avoid subtitling work like the plague. I'm not sure if you can play a video and translate subtitles from within Quillbot. I'll have a look and get back to you.

Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:57
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ Jan 10, 2023

Marijke Singer wrote:

I find MemoQ the best because it focuses on the translator and not the agency like Studio does. Stopped using it after 2011. I am in control in MemoQ and can do all sorts of things that suits me without having to use a system that is not intuitive (to me). It also deals with Studio files and packages without issue.

I have the full version of MemoQ, Marijke, but only because I have to. I think it's dire. Takes 20 seconds to confirm a segment.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lame duck?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »