Rebecca Baron
Rebecca Baron  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:42
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 27, 2023

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is stupid but it's the first time I've come across something like this. A client sent me a Word file to translate and I am using Trados. After a while, I have noticed there is a lot more text on Trados than I can see in the Word file. I have tried showing any hidden text in Word, but nothing changes. Any idea what this could be? Thanks in advance for any help!

Geoffrey Black

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:42
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not sure... Jan 27, 2023

I'm not sure if you have done this before in the source text....

... But have you tried to display hidden text in your Word file by using the following?

Click File > Options > Display, and under "Always show these formatting marks on the screen", select the Hidden text check box.

Capturar

P.S.: I'm sorry I have my settings in PT-PT, but I have translated the Menus/Options to make it easier.

[Edited at 2023-01-27 22:09 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:42
English to Russian
Project Settings, File Types, Word 2007-2016, Common Jan 27, 2023

Rebecca Baron wrote:
I have tried showing any hidden text in Word, but nothing changes.
How did you do that exactly? It may depend on Word Options.
Also your Word file may contain some embedded tables from Excel files or something. Go to Project Settings, File Types, Word 2007-2016, Common and carefully read all the options to identify the culprit. Check if the 'Extract contents of embedded Excel charts and sheets' box is ticked or not. Try the other way round.

Update: How did you do that exactly? by this question I just wanted to make sure that you really can see the hidden text. However expressisverbis described the procedure in details and my question is no longer relevant. No need to answer it.

[Edited at 2023-01-27 22:29 GMT]

expressisverbis

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Comments in the Word file? Jan 28, 2023

Rebecca Baron wrote:
there is a lot more text on Trados than I can see in the Word file.

Are there comments in the Word file ? Display them with Show Comments in the Review tab.

Philippe

expressisverbis

Rebecca Baron
Rebecca Baron  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still nothing Jan 28, 2023

Thank you for your help, I tried all three options suggested but nothing. Other suggestions are greatly appreciated. If all else fails, I'll try and contact the client and ask if he knows about a "hidden" part in his file. I forgot to say that it's a questionnaire that appears, if it's something that can give you an idea of what the problem may be.

Thanks again!

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:42
English to Russian
Grey shaded fillable fields? Jan 28, 2023

Electronic forms and questionnaires often contain locked fields that may be hidden or unhidden depending on your Word options. It can look like this:
===
Question: [Please describe your issue here. Provide as many details as possible.]

OR like this:
Question:
===
Does your client have their questionnaire somewhere on their website? Can you share a link? It would be much easier to answer your question by seeing the file.

[Edited at
... See more
Electronic forms and questionnaires often contain locked fields that may be hidden or unhidden depending on your Word options. It can look like this:
===
Question: [Please describe your issue here. Provide as many details as possible.]

OR like this:
Question:
===
Does your client have their questionnaire somewhere on their website? Can you share a link? It would be much easier to answer your question by seeing the file.

[Edited at 2023-01-28 12:42 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados shows text I can't see in Word file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »