Off topic: Help with Trados 19
Thread poster: smtranslatorguy
Jan 30, 2023

Hello to everyone who will be reading. I will try and keep this concise.
The very important premise here is that I am a complete noob. That being said, I am working as a translator for this company, and we use trados 19 at work. I am currently trying to watch as many tutorials as I can, been learning a lot of useful things, and I'm currently in the process of understanding how to use translation memories. The other translators at work have a couple translation memories based on the work t
... See more
Hello to everyone who will be reading. I will try and keep this concise.
The very important premise here is that I am a complete noob. That being said, I am working as a translator for this company, and we use trados 19 at work. I am currently trying to watch as many tutorials as I can, been learning a lot of useful things, and I'm currently in the process of understanding how to use translation memories. The other translators at work have a couple translation memories based on the work they've done for the last 3-4 years, they're very useful obviously because they're very specific, and a lot of times I find that like 20% of the text I'm working with is already translated, and that's great.
Other times though, I find that a string might contain a phrase that I'm sure the TM knows already, but I have to manually translate nonetheless. If I manually go look for the phrase in the TM, I find it, but it doesn't come up to me as a possible fragment, even if it would have a better ratio than some of the fragments that DO come up.
It's the same with the entries I put in the TM. If the string is completely identic to the one I confirmed, it gets automatically translated, but if it is like contained in a string that has some other elements, or if there's a one word difference, then I have to type it all over again.
I understand it is not so much a clear issue as a bunch of random things that I will gradually sort out, because I still don't really know my way around trados, trust me I'm watching those tutorials, but I figured that this thread could be a good idea if in the meantime there were some stupid little things I could be doing or know about that could speed up my process
Collapse

smtranslatorguy
smtranslatorguy
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
_ Jan 30, 2023

I might fall asleep but I'll read all the replies

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 11:09
French to Italian
+ ...
Ciao! Jan 31, 2023

You might need some training...
I tried to teach myself how to use Trados 5 years ago, but I finally decided to take a course and found out that I really needed training, as I had missed a couple of very important basic steps. If you are near Forlì, I suggest the following one:

<
... See more
I tried to teach myself how to use Trados 5 years ago, but I finally decided to take a course and found out that I really needed training, as I had missed a couple of very important basic steps. If you are near Forlì, I suggest the following one:

https://www.terminologia.it/index.php/2022/01/18/trados-studio-level-1/?lang=it
Collapse

expressisverbis
Stepan Konev

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Training in Italian Jan 31, 2023

Hello,
you can go for an individual personalised Trados training in Italian.

You can have a look at https://formation-traduction.fr (I do training in French and in Italian) you can contact me if you want!

[Modifié le 2023-01-31 13:36 GMT]

Stepan Konev

smtranslatorguy
smtranslatorguy
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
ty Jan 31, 2023

Elena Feriani wrote:

https://www.terminologia.it/index.php/2022/01/18/trados-studio-level-1/?lang=it

I agree, I absolutely do need training, I did say I'm a noob
But rn I was looking for some quick fix that could get phrases from my TM to pop out a bit more, because it's always like I have to go look for them (something like a lower % threshold for the fragments idk)
I'm not anywhere near Forlì, but thank you anyway, I'll have a look at it

smtranslatorguy
smtranslatorguy
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
ty Jan 31, 2023

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,

You can have a look at https://formation-traduction.fr (I do training in French and in Italian) you can contact me if you want!

first of all, thank you
Personalized as in remote/flexible schedules?

Xanthippe

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
yes, pesonalised, remote, one to one Jan 31, 2023

yes, pesonalised, remote, one to one and you choose the date and time.

On the site you'll find a place to contact me.

smtranslatorguy wrote:

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,

first of all, thank you
Personalized as in remote/flexible schedules?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Trados 19

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »