Studio 2021: two questions-- file type creation and Quickinsert-related
Thread poster: PapagenoX
PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 02:44
Feb 10, 2023

I recently have had to start using Trados Studio 2021, get it configured and such.

1st question: Working in the editor I ran into a target TU that lacked an inline tag that was in the source. In the pane above it also showed that it was missing from the target in the memory. I knew it was set up as a Quickinsert in the file type settings for the document type I was working on, so I used the assigned shortcut for the tag in question, and nothing appeared in the editor. I tried manu
... See more
I recently have had to start using Trados Studio 2021, get it configured and such.

1st question: Working in the editor I ran into a target TU that lacked an inline tag that was in the source. In the pane above it also showed that it was missing from the target in the memory. I knew it was set up as a Quickinsert in the file type settings for the document type I was working on, so I used the assigned shortcut for the tag in question, and nothing appeared in the editor. I tried manually opening the Quickinsert window and hitting the button after highlighting the desired quickinsert. Still no tag in the target unit. Is this a visibility thing only? Known issue? What's happening here?

2nd question: What is the appropriate way to set up a new file type for SGML source files of a given document type, working from the document's DTD file, in Studio 2021? I seem to be having some problems (like the above) simply importing my old file type settings from Studio 2015 and would like to start fresh. Is there a quick and dirty guide to it that explains the pitfalls?

For instance, before I would use an HTML document template (per what my older file types indicate). Now when I begin to set up a new file type I first get asked to set the type, with choices of Simple delimited text, HTML, XML 2 etc. Is HTML still the choice for SGML documents? The RWS documentation on this says I also have to set up a "unique" file type identifier. Can that be anything? The default that appears there is "Copy of Html File v 2.0.0.0".

I suspect I'm doing something wrong because when I browse for the dtd file and try to import it I get the error "Error opening import file! Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length"

[Edited at 2023-02-10 20:10 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:44
English to Russian
Tags Feb 10, 2023

Is it a formatting tag? You can try to change the formatting display style (Options - Editor - Formatting display style - select one of the options that shows tags).
Also you can insert tags either by pressing Ctrl+. and then select a tag or a pair of tags from the dropdown list, or Ctrl+clicking the source tag as shown in this video.

PapagenoX

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 02:44
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2021: two questions-- file type creation and Quickinsert-related Feb 11, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Is it a formatting tag? You can try to change the formatting display style (Options - Editor - Formatting display style - select one of the options that shows tags).
Also you can insert tags either by pressing Ctrl+. and then select a tag or a pair of tags from the dropdown list, or Ctrl+clicking the source tag as shown in this video.

Thanks, that did the trick. It was a formatting tag: an EMPH with an attribute value of BOLD or ITALIC. It must have been visible by default in previous versions of Studio. Does the CTRL-Alt-Right Arrow still work for popping tags from the source into the target?

Now if I can only figure out the other problem. Studio rejects all of our DTDs with the same error I mentioned in the OP. I may have to ask the boss to pay for the extortionate official tech support.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:44
English to Russian
RWS Community Feb 11, 2023

PapagenoX wrote:
Does the CTRL-Alt-Right Arrow still work for popping tags from the source into the target?
Yeap, CTRL-Alt-Right Arrow cycles tags from left to right.

Now if I can only figure out the other problem. Studio rejects all of our DTDs with the same error I mentioned in the OP. I may have to ask the boss to pay for the extortionate official tech support.
If I'm honest, I don't even understand the question. I think you'd better ask the RWS Community here: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/p/addpost
You can first post your question there. It is sort of opening a support ticket. There is a chance they can resolve the issue for you without an additional support agreement. If they consider it too technical, they will tell you so.

[Edited at 2023-02-11 12:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2021: two questions-- file type creation and Quickinsert-related

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »