laure claesen
laure claesen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:29
Member (2005)
English to French
Mar 26, 2014

Hi,

Did anybody experienced problem registering with the American Translator Association lately?

I am asking because I tried to renew my membership and got no confirmation nor aknowledgement for my request. Worse, I sent some money which was not refunded.

When I ring, I get an answer-phone automatic message saying that ATA experienced a major phone crash and cannot deal with calls at the moment. This has been going on for about a month now.

Th
... See more
Hi,

Did anybody experienced problem registering with the American Translator Association lately?

I am asking because I tried to renew my membership and got no confirmation nor aknowledgement for my request. Worse, I sent some money which was not refunded.

When I ring, I get an answer-phone automatic message saying that ATA experienced a major phone crash and cannot deal with calls at the moment. This has been going on for about a month now.

That really sounds too bad for such a notorious translators' association.

Any news anybody? Is there an ATA member/manager or otherwise who would know what is going on? What to do?

Many thanks!
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
Member (2003)
French to English
Similar problem Mar 26, 2014

Hi Laure,

I tried to join a while back and thought I'd got somewhere with it but then the money popped back onto my credit card and like you, I didn't get a response from them when I queried it. I haven't tried recently, though.

Karen

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:29
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Message them on Facebook? Mar 26, 2014

Just an idea - somebody is active there as they are posting news and such.
Have you tried messaging them?
https://www.facebook.com/AmericanTranslatorsAssociation

laure claesen
laure claesen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:29
Member (2005)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
good idea but... Mar 26, 2014

...facebook is not my cup of tea. A mistake I am sure, but I just can't..

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:29
Member (2009)
French to English
No Facebook here either Mar 26, 2014

I can understand not liking Facebook. ATA is also active on twitter @atanet. A fellow member has sent up the bat signal there so hopefully this should get resolved soon.

Shaima Ebrahim
Shaima Ebrahim
Kuwait
Local time: 04:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
No problem with ATA :) Apr 12, 2014

Hi Laure,
I've renewed my membership two weeks ago and i have also submitted an eligibility form to take the certification exam. Both operations went very smoothly and within three to five business days per each request.
You may want to contact Lauren Mendell at the ATA. She is the one responsible for member relations. She will also handle your registration request.
All the best!
Shaima

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem registering with ATA

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »