Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?
Gijos autorius: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SVETAINĖS PERSONALAS
Oct 9

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?".

View the poll results »



 
Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Čilė
Local time: 04:28
iš ispanų į anglų
+ ...
How the heck would I know ... Oct 9

... if I do not, and will not, as a matter of principle, "rely on real-time AI translation" for anything?
JL


writeaway
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
martini
Thayenga
Christine Andersen
Maria Laura Curzi
Philip Lees
 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Vokietija
Local time: 09:28
Narys (2009)
iš anglų į vokiečių
+ ...
Relying on AI? Oct 9

Not even in my most audacious dreams would I even consider such a foolishness.

Customers even explicitly ask for human translations and will not accept any MT products. If I'm not mistaken, then AI is not human.

Btw. has anybody noticed that this is yet another AI related question? Taking the chance of repeating myself, how boring.


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
Maria Laura Curzi
Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
Philip Lees
 
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:28
iš prancūzų į anglų
Poll suggestion Oct 9

Does reading Proz poll questions erode our will to live?

Answers:
a) Yes
b) Yes, only more so.


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jennifer Levey
Thayenga
Rob Grayson
The Shredder
writeaway
Maria Laura Curzi
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugalija
Local time: 08:28
Narys (2007)
iš anglų į portugalų
+ ...
Other Oct 9

I don’t want to skip the mental effort and for the moment I don’t need to free up brainpower.

brain


Jennifer Levey
Angus Stewart
Philip Lees
 
Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonezija
Local time: 14:28
iš anglų į indoneziečių
+ ...
A discussion partner, not a replacement Oct 9

I voted for the fourth option.

In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.

If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.

However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge.
... See more
I voted for the fourth option.

In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.

If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.

However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge.

I also compare the output of two different AI tools, since each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Sometimes one offers the better rendering or term, and sometimes the other does, so I still have to evaluate both and decide for myself.

In the end, the responsibility for every word and every decision remains with the translator, and I believe that is exactly where it should stay.
▲ Collapse


Philip Lees
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Šio forumo moderatoriai
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?






LinguaCore
AI Translation at Your Fingertips

The underlying LLM technology of LinguaCore offers AI translations of unprecedented quality. Quick and simple. Add a human linguistic review at the end for expert-level quality at a fraction of the cost and time.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »