What are "fuzzy matches" for?
Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:55
German to English
fuzzy can be good, just depends, as always. Aug 15, 2013

if you are a technical translator, as I am, fuzzy matches are pretty good. I do plenty of work where just the object name or one word in a sentence is different so it saves me an immense amount of typing and I still get paid 50% for replacing that single word!
But bear in mind, they are most useful when your TM is very large and they can then also act as a type of reference material, showing you variants on sentences and phrasing. They are most useful in the concordance feature in SDL for
... See more
if you are a technical translator, as I am, fuzzy matches are pretty good. I do plenty of work where just the object name or one word in a sentence is different so it saves me an immense amount of typing and I still get paid 50% for replacing that single word!
But bear in mind, they are most useful when your TM is very large and they can then also act as a type of reference material, showing you variants on sentences and phrasing. They are most useful in the concordance feature in SDL for example. I see them as a huge thesaurus, providing me with ideas and possible terminology.

Yes, most agencies pay less for fuzzy matches, but in my case it is worth it. However, it is up to each translator to decide what to charge and what for.

I know fuzzy matches would not be very useful in many subject areas such as literature, etc. But for technical translators they should be extremely useful. If not, then something is not being done correctly. No point in having x number of TMs if you cannot reference them at the same time. The best think is to combine all your TMs into one huge reference TM and then you can really make use of a great resource - your own translations and those of other people.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:55
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this is exactly my point, if by the user you mean the creator of the TMs, otherwise NO Aug 15, 2013

Natalie wrote:

LilianBNekipelo wrote:
I had a look at some CATs in the Germanic language pairs, and they were not too bad, but then it was more of an experiment, and the texts I tried were not of a very high level of difficulty. I even found mixed languages in the TMs and glossaries.

This means that the user who created these TMs wasn't proficient in using the tool(s).

I used at least four tools, I don't want to say which ones, not to spread any bad publicity, because it is not the manufactures fault-- it is just the nature of those programs, I guess. I know how to use at least four very well, but I don't see too many benefits in using them.

If you know very well how to use four (!) CAT tools, why are you asking what are fuzzy matches?

The suggestions, or fuzzy matches, include other people's TMs, not always correct. The programs could only make sense if you were using your own TMs, and even then not for all types of translation. Only your own TMs and term taken straight from prestigious dictionaries would make any sense, not just anybody's TMs.

I know what fuzzy matches are -- I just was not sure what their real function was.

[Edited at 2013-08-15 10:28 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:55
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Oh Aug 15, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:
The suggestions, or fuzzy matches, include other people's TMs, not always correct. The programs could only make sense if you were using your own TMs, and even then not for all types of translation. Only your own TMs and term taken straight from prestigious dictionaries would make any sense, not just anybody's TMs.

The very truth itself Not sure about the "prestigious dictionaries", though. Wrong term may be chosen from any dictionary, no matter if is it prestigious or no.

I know what fuzzy matches are -- I just was not sure what their real function was.

Why? As you yourself write just 5 lines above: "The suggestions, or fuzzy matches..." Fuzzy matches are just suggestions. You either use them or ignore.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are "fuzzy matches" for?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »