Thread poster: Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Germany
Local time: 15:03
German to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2023

I'm working in SDL Trados Studio 2021. Auto-propagation is working, but the dialog box that prompts me to confirm whether I want the translation applied to other segments has disappeared. This has happened before, but I was always able to "get it back" by disconnecting my other monitors. This fix isn't working anymore which is extremely annoying because I'm working on a project with many many repetitions. Anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Try these two ideas Jan 4, 2023

Zrouwen wrote:

I'm working in SDL Trados Studio 2021. Auto-propagation is working, but the dialog box that prompts me to confirm whether I want the translation applied to other segments has disappeared. This has happened before, but I was always able to "get it back" by disconnecting my other monitors. This fix isn't working anymore which is extremely annoying because I'm working on a project with many many repetitions. Anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Happens sometimes with the Find/Replace dialog box. The two methods below have worked for me in the past:

• Check in the taskbar whether there is an icon for the dialog box in addition to the icon for Studio. Right-click on it (see image) and select Move. Locate the arrow that has appeared and try to drag the window back into the viewport. I said "try" because it does not always work.

• What did work last week was to temporarily decrease the screen resolution in the Windows settings, like 1280x1024. The dialog box jumped back in the viewport.

Philippe

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:03
English to Russian
Win+Arrows Jan 4, 2023

Press Alt+Tab to locate the window, then press Win+arrows left or right several times until you see the window.
Also you can diasble that window in File-Options-Editor-Autpropagation-set Prompt User to Never.

Philippe Noth
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Autopropagate without prompt Jan 4, 2023

Good point about the Win+arrows!
Stepan Konev wrote:
Also you can diasble that window in File-Options-Editor-Autpropagation-set Prompt User to Never.

I caught by chance an unwanted change I almost made as I was revising a translation yesterday. I would not consider disabling the prompt… at least until the exact logic behind this example is explained to me (it is being investigated by someone). Until now, my understanding was that only numbers could be changed during autopropagation.
Autopropagation
(in the real project, the autopropagation replaced barrette DIMM (DIMM module, which was perfectly correct) with carte DIMM)

Philippe

[Edited at 2023-01-04 20:52 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Auto-propagation set to Never Jan 4, 2023

Philippe Noth wrote:
I would not consider disabling the prompt…
If I'm honest, I've been using the Auto-propagation feature with the Prompt User option set to 'Never' for years now and I never felt like I miss something. What does it give to you? An opportunity to click 'Yes'? However I don't want to dipute this. I admit that you may need that for some good reason.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Placeables = numbers Jan 4, 2023

Philippe Noth wrote:
Until now, my understanding was that only numbers could be changed during autopropagation
That seems to be placeables (abbreviations). From Trados' standpoint, placeables behave the same way as numbers.

Philippe Noth
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Prompts Jan 5, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Philippe Noth wrote:
I would not consider disabling the prompt…
If I'm honest, I've been using the Auto-propagation feature with the Prompt User option set to 'Never' for years now and I never felt like I miss something. What does it give to you? An opportunity to click 'Yes'? However I don't want to dipute this. I admit that you may need that for some good reason.

If I’m honest, I have been confirming that prompt without reading it for years.

In translation jobs, I could live with that risk. But as a reviser, it would really suck to add new errors. Unlike numbers, these placeable errors would have remained unnoticed by subsequent checks like XBench. Or maybe I should define a personal check in XBench…

Anyway, thanks for the explanation about placeables. There are many in IT content. Could the autopropagation also change URLs, domains, people’s names? Maybe the persons I asked will tell me a way to avoid that behaviour and restrict it to numbers only.

Philippe

Stepan Konev

Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing working Jan 5, 2023

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried everything but nothing works. There is no prompt box to be found anywhere.

Philippe Noth
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
For next time… Jan 5, 2023

Zrouwen wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried everything but nothing works. There is no prompt box to be found anywhere.

Probably too late for this time.

Interestingly, the user profile files (for Studio 2021 in AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio16\UserProfiles\) contain the following lines

< SettingsGroup Id="AutopropagateSettings" >
< Setting Id="AutopropagateDialogLocation" >0; 0< /Setting >
< /SettingsGroup >

I would either try to change/reset the profile in Studio. Or edit this file manually and set valid coordinates here (but which ones ?)

Philippe

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Can you share a screenshot of your settings Jan 5, 2023

Zrouwen wrote:
Nothing working
Which option did you choose in your autopropagation settings? Can you find the window by Alt+Tab?

Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing working Jan 5, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Zrouwen wrote:
Nothing working
Which option did you choose in your autopropagation settings? Can you find the window by Alt+Tab?

I'm trying but it's not letting my paste my screenshot?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok, but what about the two other questions? Jan 5, 2023

Which option did you choose in your autopropagation settings?
File > Options > Editor > Auto-propagation > Prompt User
Can you see the autopropagation window when you press Alt+Tab?

[Edited at 2023-01-05 11:32 GMT]

Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved Jan 5, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Which option did you choose in your autopropagation settings? always prompt (I need to be able to check all AP segments)
Can you see the autopropagation window when you press Alt+Tab?
No, it did not show up

Thanks for all your input. Just FYI I answered your questions above. But the problem was resolved by doing a repair of the Trados Studio installation. https://gateway.sdl.com/articles/SolutionArticles/000001414?articleName=000004442

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Non-paying member Jan 5, 2023

Zrouwen wrote:
I'm trying but it's not letting my paste my screenshot?
Direct sharing is only available for paying members. You can use this site to upload screenshots: https://imgbb.com/ (copy the BB-code from there and paste here)

[Edited at 2023-01-05 12:58 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Zrouwen Jan 5, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
Direct sharing is only available for paid members.

I can't test it now, but I thought that non-paying members can upload images to a ProZ.com post, but that paid members have the added feature of drag-and-drop. (In both cases, you have to then copy the URL into the post manually.)

Zrouwen, the image uploading box is one or two cm above the "Post reply" or "Update post" button. Do you have a "Choose files" option? After uploading the image, you have to copy/paste the resulting URL into your post.

[Edited at 2023-01-05 11:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagation dialog box missing in SDL Trados Studio 2021

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »