Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 10, 2023

Hello everyone

I need to mark all misspelt words in a Trados file as "Ignore". Apart from pressing Alt+g repeatedly until I reach the end of the file, do you know of another way to mark all misspelt (i.e. unrecognized) words as "Ignore"? I'm hoping for something that I can change in the SDLXLIFF source. I did try to compare a before and after version of the file, but I can't figure out what exactly causes Trados to consider a word to have been ignored.

Thanks
S
... See more
Hello everyone

I need to mark all misspelt words in a Trados file as "Ignore". Apart from pressing Alt+g repeatedly until I reach the end of the file, do you know of another way to mark all misspelt (i.e. unrecognized) words as "Ignore"? I'm hoping for something that I can change in the SDLXLIFF source. I did try to compare a before and after version of the file, but I can't figure out what exactly causes Trados to consider a word to have been ignored.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Temporary dictionary Feb 10, 2023

Hi Samual,
I'm not sure if this helps, but I found an option "Clear Ignore All List" under Options --> Editor --> Spelling.
Is this a start?

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Right click and "ignore all" Feb 10, 2023

Also, you can set Studio not to spell check as you type.

Is this what you meant?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Renée Feb 10, 2023

Renée van Bijsterveld wrote:
I found an option "Clear Ignore All List" under Options --> Editor --> Spelling.

Hmm, interesting. It may be, then, that the fact that a word was ignored is not written to the SDLXLIFF file itself but is stored on the translator's own computer....? I thought that a client can see if I've done a spell-check or not. In Microsoft Word, the fact that a word was ignored is stored in the file itself.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Yossi Feb 10, 2023

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
Also, you can set Studio not to spell check as you type.
Is this what you meant?

No, I thought that whether a word is ignored is stored in the SDLXLIFF file itself. So, if I do a translation and do a spell-check and fixed all mistakes and marked all other words as "Ignore", and I send this file to another translator, I was hoping that when they do a spell-check, the words that I have ignored are also ignored on their machine (as is what happens with a Microsoft Word file).

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Think so Feb 10, 2023

Yes, I think the ignored words are saved to a temporary library, just as the words you want to add as correct to the spell check library. Only, this should be a temporary library, because when you spell check a new document, the ignored words in File 1 will show up as errors in File 2.
You could check here: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\Trados\SpellChecker
Spellcheck a document, only ignore errors and check if the library files are updated...

[Bijgewerkt op 2023-02-10 15:
... See more
Yes, I think the ignored words are saved to a temporary library, just as the words you want to add as correct to the spell check library. Only, this should be a temporary library, because when you spell check a new document, the ignored words in File 1 will show up as errors in File 2.
You could check here: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\Trados\SpellChecker
Spellcheck a document, only ignore errors and check if the library files are updated...

[Bijgewerkt op 2023-02-10 15:37 GMT]

[Bijgewerkt op 2023-02-10 16:52 GMT]
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I never say this behavior in Word Feb 10, 2023

The ignored words are stored in a local dictionary, not in the document.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:39
English to Russian
Local only in MS Word Feb 10, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
I was hoping that when they do a spell-check, the words that I have ignored are also ignored on their machine (as is what happens with a Microsoft Word file).
You can only ignore spelling issues on your own computer. When you send a file to someone else, they will see them underlined with red wiggly lines. You can disable the spellcheck feature for your document and it will be still disabled on other computers, but you understand that disabling (globally applied) is not the same as ignoring [all] (selectively applied).

[Edited at 2023-02-11 20:15 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Feb 11, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
You can disable the spellcheck feature for your document and it will be still disabled on other computers...

That is unfortunate. The whole point of what I was trying to do was to ensure that another user would think that there are no unrecognized words. This kinda makes the spell-checking feature in Trados much less useful.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
MS Word Feb 11, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
That is unfortunate. The whole point of what I was trying to do was to ensure that another user would think that there are no unrecognized words. This kinda makes the spell-checking feature in Trados much less useful.
I actually was talking about MS Word.

[Edited at 2023-02-11 20:28 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan Feb 11, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
You can only ignore spelling issues [in MS Word] on your own computer.

I've tested it, and you're right. On the latest version of Word, closing a Word file and reopening it causes it to lose all the "Ignore" information. I mostly use Word 2003, which DOES remember the "Ignore" status in the document.

Off-topic, but: A little trick in Word if you want words to be permanently ignored, is to search for <*> with wildcards enabled and replace with the language but with "Do not spellcheck" selected. This will mark all words as "Do not spellcheck", even if the user uses the "Recheck Document" button.

[Edited at 2023-02-11 20:49 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Why Feb 12, 2023

Is your client asking questions about the spelling of words or why do you want to suppress flagging?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Feb 12, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
Is your client asking questions about the spelling of words...?

Yes.

I don't mind clients asking questions -- it shows that they care about their job. But the fact that Trados underlines unrecognized words is needlessly confusing to project managers.

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
If project managers don't know the language, they should not bother you with this Feb 12, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes.

I don't mind clients asking questions -- it shows that they care about their job. But the fact that Trados underlines unrecognized words is needlessly confusing to project managers.

And if they do, just tell them that you always spell check the document and if they see marked words, then these are false positives.

Hans Lenting

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
MS Word underlines unrecognised words Feb 12, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
But Trados completely rely on MS Word in what regards spell checking. It simply extends the MS Word spell-checking mechanism to its own editor. When you add words in Trados, they are stored in the MS Word dictionary. Trados doesn't have either its own dictionary or ignore list. When you add a word in Trados and then come across the same word in MS Word, it won't be underlined in a docx document because even though you added the word in Trados, it is stored in the MS Word dictionary. Strictly speaking it is actually MS Word that underlines unrecognized words, not Trados.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to "Ignore all" in Trados spellcheck

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »