John Moran
John Moran  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 22:49
German to English
+ ...
Sep 20, 2016

Hi,

From my previous agency employer I saw that we regularly received translator C.V.'s by e-mail.

I now work for a software company that produces an editor agencies might useful.

Does anyone know of where this e-mail list of agencies can be purchased?

Thanks,

John

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What? Sep 20, 2016

What's an "editor agencies might useful"?

[Edited at 2016-09-20 10:32 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:49
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Typo/ommission. Sep 20, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

What's an "editor agencies might useful"?

[Edited at 2016-09-20 10:32 GMT]

an editor agencies might *find* useful.

Tom, you could make a load of money editing other people's writing instead of constantly doing it on the forums for free. Plus while doing so always straying from the main topic/course of conversation.

OP, I am sure this has been discussed, perhaps try out the forum search.

[Edited at 2016-09-20 10:52 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What list? Sep 20, 2016

Any translator who wants to be considered as a business partner for an agency will do their homework and target agencies who seem to be good prospects. They wouldn't buy a list. It would most likely be worse than a waste of money; it would be a waste of time too.

John Moran
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Sep 20, 2016

Hi Shelia,

Just to clarify the editor is a web-based CAT tool, not a human editor.

@Lingua 5B - thanks for inserting the missing word

Kind regards,

John

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@John Sep 20, 2016

John Moran wrote:

Some of those lists are sold by competitors of ProZ.com, so we're not allowed to mention those, but if you google for "buy list of translation agencies" you'll see the biggest seller has a list of 7500 agencies that he sells for EUR 900 (that's 11c per agency). You can also buy lists for individual countries, ranging from 10c per agency (India) to 95c per agency (Finland).

Is your editor aimed at PMs or at agency owners?

You can also send your advertisement via ProZ.com, for $75 per 1000 mails:
http://www.proz.com/advertising/options/emails
(which is actually cheaper than buying a list, except that you send only once)

There is a ProZ.com virtual conference coming up soon. You might be able to buy advertising there as well.

[Edited at 2016-09-20 11:44 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
We're on the same wavelength Sep 20, 2016

John Moran wrote:

I was actually assuming that, John. But you, as a person, are looking to sell it to agencies, just as we're looking to sell our services. It's quite likely that you'll want blanket coverage for your email. I'm just saying that that isn't what works with translators, who wouldn't (or shouldn't) be using the sort of list you're looking for.

Samuel's suggestions seem very useful. As a member here you have access to the directory of translation companies.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mass Sep 20, 2016

John, thanks for clarifying the error in your OP.

From the novice translator's point of view, it is sometimes thought that mass emailing a large number of agencies may lead to a few of them responding with offers of work; however from various discussions here in these forums, I think there's a consensus that more than anything, these mass emailings are just an annoyance for agencies, and go straight into the trash.

From an agency point of view, I don't know how other tr
... See more
John, thanks for clarifying the error in your OP.

From the novice translator's point of view, it is sometimes thought that mass emailing a large number of agencies may lead to a few of them responding with offers of work; however from various discussions here in these forums, I think there's a consensus that more than anything, these mass emailings are just an annoyance for agencies, and go straight into the trash.

From an agency point of view, I don't know how other translators feel but I regularly receive emails from agencies which from their wording, have clearly been mass emailed to a large number of translators. I never respond to them because it's clear that what the agency is looking for is not the best translation, but the cheapest.

[Edited at 2016-09-20 14:02 GMT]
Collapse

John Moran
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Sep 20, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

John Moran wrote:

I was actually assuming that, John. But you, as a person, are looking to sell it to agencies, just as we're looking to sell our services. It's quite likely that you'll want blanket coverage for your email. I'm just saying that that isn't what works with translators, who wouldn't (or shouldn't) be using the sort of list you're looking for.

I agree Shelia. We almost always ignored any C.V. that came in this way. However, I did click on some e-mail marketing that looked like interesting new technology.

Samuel's suggestions seem very useful. As a member here you have access to the directory of translation companies.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
These lists smell... Sep 20, 2016

If any email smells even vaguely of being sent using such a list, it not only goes directly into the bin - I also attach the label "strange smell" to the company it came from, be it "L..." or any other editor.

Not a good plan.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 15:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Junk mail? Sep 21, 2016

Please verify that you are sending your emails to agencies only and not indiscriminately to everyone on the list. I don't know about others but I have my email program set to move such emails directly to my junk folder.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:49
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Different targets Sep 21, 2016

John Moran wrote:

Hi,

From my previous agency employer I saw that we regularly received translator C.V.'s by e-mail.

I now work for a software company that produces an editor agencies might useful.

Thanks,

John

I think you are talking two different types of prospect. Agencies often invite emails from translators, and generally direct them to a special email address specifically for the purpose.

You are talking about a product that you want to sell to agencies. It's unlikely that the same email address would be useful for this purpose. For this purpose you would want to get in touch with the agencies' management.

You can fairly easily compile a list of agencies by going to the websites of the various associations that agencies belong to, which usually have membership lists.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mail list of agencies

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »