Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2007

Does anyone know if it's possible to import the 'comments' part of a powerpoint file into DVX? They don't import when a ppt file is imported in the usual way. Is there anyway of displaying all of them in ppt such that they can be saved separately and then posted back into the ppt?

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Check the Process notes option Jan 15, 2007

Assuming that you mean the notes in a PPT file (which can be displayed beneath the slide), try checking the import option "Process notes" before (re-)importing the file.

Good luck,
Endre

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - half way there... Jan 15, 2007

D'oh! Easy when you know how...

Next question: is it possible to import just the notes without the slides? I haven't ticked the "master slide" option but it's still importing the slide content (I only have to translate the notes).

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No way to separate slides and notes Jan 15, 2007

Eutychus wrote:
is it possible to import just the notes without the slides?

There's no direct way, unfortunately, and I don't have any immediate workaround either.

If you can use VBA, you could possibly prefix all text frames on the slides with a unique string, and then filter on that string in DVX and lock those rows. After translation, you could delete the prefixes with a search-and-replace operation.

You could try this (replace "uniquetext" with anything you deem suitable):

Public Sub setPrefix()
Dim sl As Slide
Dim sh As Shape
For Each sl In ActivePresentation.Slides
For Each sh In sl.Shapes
If sh.HasTextFrame Then
sh.TextFrame.TextRange.Text _
= "uniquetext " _
& sh.TextFrame.TextRange.Text
End If
Next sh
Next sl
End Sub

But hopefully there is a simpler solution.

Endre

PS: For this to work (if it does at all), you would need to check "Prevent segmentation" on import, because the macro only prefixes the individual shapes, not the sentences as segmented by DVX.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-15 18:04]

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Jan 15, 2007

The simpler solution in this case for me has been to get the agency I'm doing the job for to do the work of extracting the comments from the original ppt and sending them to me as a Word document, which at least saves one step...

Thanks for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX: Accessing PowerPoint comments for importing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »