Michael Guggenbichler  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 23:42
Member (2021)
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 4, 2021

Hi, everyone,

I just started working as a freelance translator (I have a BSc and a MSc in the medical field and a BA in translation studies).

I have applied to many translation agencies, some have replied and are interested in working with me, but I would also like to know how to find direct clients in my field (mainly healthcare and life sciences, but also travel and tourism).

Do I just have to google potential clients and email them offering my services
... See more
Hi, everyone,

I just started working as a freelance translator (I have a BSc and a MSc in the medical field and a BA in translation studies).

I have applied to many translation agencies, some have replied and are interested in working with me, but I would also like to know how to find direct clients in my field (mainly healthcare and life sciences, but also travel and tourism).

Do I just have to google potential clients and email them offering my services hoping they need a translator, or are there other ways to get their attention/find suitable clients that need a translator (other than searching in the job postings here on ProZ)?

Thank you in advance for your answers!
Michael
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Michael Aug 4, 2021

I’ve heard some colleagues say that taking part in medical or scientific conferences is a good step (though probably expensive). Besides that, try answering as many Kudoz medical questions as you can in order to climb on the directory. On the other hand, I don’t know how the Proz pre-screened pharmaceutical translator pool (https://www.proz.com/pools/pharmaceutical-translators) ... See more
I’ve heard some colleagues say that taking part in medical or scientific conferences is a good step (though probably expensive). Besides that, try answering as many Kudoz medical questions as you can in order to climb on the directory. On the other hand, I don’t know how the Proz pre-screened pharmaceutical translator pool (https://www.proz.com/pools/pharmaceutical-translators) works, but it could be another door opener… Good luck!Collapse

Andriy Yasharov

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't focus too much on direct clients Aug 12, 2021

For travel and tourism, things may be different; for healthcare and life sciences, I have the impression that many companies who need translation into (in my case) Dutch also need the same material translated into other European languages. They will therefore work with an agency, rather than trying to find suitable translators for several different languages themselves.

Plus, good agencies (as opposed to brokers) actually take quite a bit of work out of your hands (preparing documen
... See more
For travel and tourism, things may be different; for healthcare and life sciences, I have the impression that many companies who need translation into (in my case) Dutch also need the same material translated into other European languages. They will therefore work with an agency, rather than trying to find suitable translators for several different languages themselves.

Plus, good agencies (as opposed to brokers) actually take quite a bit of work out of your hands (preparing documents, discussing terms and expectations with the end client, preparing style guides/glossaries etc, so you can focus on translating.

The few direct clients I have found me by searching through the translators association I belong to; another useful way may be to make sure you have a very visible, findable, attractive website with all the relevant information and useful SEO terms included - direct clients are less likely to use (or even know) Proz.com.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan
Michael Guggenbichler
Barbara Carrara
Anton Konashenok

Michael Guggenbichler
Michael Guggenbichler  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2021)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Sep 20, 2021

Ok, so it should be more efficient to work with agencies that specialize in medical/life science translations. I'll try to find them and apply via the BB and see what happens Thanks a lot for your advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find clients for medical/scientific translations

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »