How useful is Linkedin in promoting yourself?
Thread poster: Zolboo Batbold
Zolboo Batbold
Zolboo Batbold  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:05
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 19, 2021

I registered to Linkedin 2-3 years ago. Now and then I recieve requests from classmates, colleagues and such, and that's it. The only times I recieved job offers through Linkedin were from scammers posing as translation agencies. Most of my job offers come through Proz. How useful is Linkedin anyway? It doesn't seem to offer much. Or am I overlooking its potentials?

Angie Garbarino

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What do you do? Oct 19, 2021

What do you do on Linkedin to get noticed? If you just Register and then wait for something to happen, you probably won't live to see it happen.

The Thing with those social media profiles is, you have to "feed" them. Why should anyone address you? That is something you have to work out and promote.

Just my two Cents.

Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Mr. Satan (X)
Rachel Waddington
Philippe Etienne
Ester Vidal

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes Oct 19, 2021

Zolboo Batbold wrote:

I registered to Linkedin 2-3 years ago. Now and then I recieve requests from classmates, colleagues and such, and that's it. The only times I recieved job offers through Linkedin were from scammers posing as translation agencies. Most of my job offers come through Proz. How useful is Linkedin anyway? It doesn't seem to offer much. Or am I overlooking its potentials?

In my opinion totally useless for work.

Slobodan Kozarčić
Robert Forstag
Adieu
Baran Keki

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 19, 2021

LinkedIn is the platform I have found the most clients on.
I was working at an agency for a long time before finally free-lancing. While at the agency, I carefully built up my LI profile, adding as many colleagues and clients as possible.
Many colleagues left to work at other agencies, and most of them responded positively when I reached out as a new freelancer.
Since the non-compete clause of my employment contract with the agency was null and void, I also contacted the cli
... See more
LinkedIn is the platform I have found the most clients on.
I was working at an agency for a long time before finally free-lancing. While at the agency, I carefully built up my LI profile, adding as many colleagues and clients as possible.
Many colleagues left to work at other agencies, and most of them responded positively when I reached out as a new freelancer.
Since the non-compete clause of my employment contract with the agency was null and void, I also contacted the clients among my contacts. Some started working with me straight away, others have come later. One actually created a LI profile just to message me after realising that her translations no longer had the special Kay touch. And yet another just called me for the first time last week in fact.
And it's not just my contacts either: my favourite agency (who gives me the most interesting work) also found me on LI and called me out of the blue, and a few other private individuals have contacted me for one-off projects too.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
You have to put the effort in Oct 19, 2021

LinkedIn, like any other platform, is only as useful as you make it. If you create a profile and then never visit again I can almost guarantee you won't get any work from it. If you actively network on LinkedIn, logging in every day and using it to get to know your ideal clients then it could transform your business.

I'm not especially good at social media but I have had work through LinkedIn and I do think it's worth pursuing. Do some reading about how to use it effectively. There
... See more
LinkedIn, like any other platform, is only as useful as you make it. If you create a profile and then never visit again I can almost guarantee you won't get any work from it. If you actively network on LinkedIn, logging in every day and using it to get to know your ideal clients then it could transform your business.

I'm not especially good at social media but I have had work through LinkedIn and I do think it's worth pursuing. Do some reading about how to use it effectively. There are certainly translators out there who are really making it work for them.

[Edited at 2021-10-19 20:30 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Mr. Satan (X)

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
That's THE thing Oct 19, 2021

Eva Stoppa wrote:
What do you do on LinkedIn to get noticed?...

I focus on proz.com and the vast majority of my customers come from here.
I do nothing on LinkedIn, and I don't get anything.
I registered one year with ATA, didn't do anything and didn't get anything.
I have a website, I don't do anything about SEO or ad buying or content writing, and I don't get anything.

Everywhere is competitive and crowded, so choose your channels, invest money or time in them, and you might get results.

Philippe

Rachel Waddington
Mr. Satan (X)
Marina Taffetani
Angie Garbarino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How useful is Linkedin in promoting yourself?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »