Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is the membership of ATA a must for a translator and interpreter?
Thread poster: jiajunjorkyin
jiajunjorkyin
jiajunjorkyin
China
Local time: 01:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 25, 2021

I am shifting my work from crew translator and interpreter to a freelancer.

Things are different from working at sea.Someone suggests it is better to join the ATA(American Translators Association).However , what benefits could I get from this organization?

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
Professional associations Nov 25, 2021

Hi,

I've got no experience of the ATA (I'm in the UK and am in the ITI), but membership of a professional organisation can bring a number of benefits including: networking with other members, training opportunities, listing in member database (which can bring work) and just generally feeling like you have a supportive community around you. Like anything, the more you put in, the more you will get out.

Also, don't forget that professional membership is not only about wh
... See more
Hi,

I've got no experience of the ATA (I'm in the UK and am in the ITI), but membership of a professional organisation can bring a number of benefits including: networking with other members, training opportunities, listing in member database (which can bring work) and just generally feeling like you have a supportive community around you. Like anything, the more you put in, the more you will get out.

Also, don't forget that professional membership is not only about what you get out of it but also what you can give back to the profession to make things better for everyone. As freelancers, we are in a weak position but professional organisations work to lift the status of the profession. The more people are members, the more they can do.
Collapse

Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen
Kay Denney
Anastasia Kalantzi

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
ATA Nov 25, 2021

I wouldn’t say it’s a must, but it can be a “door opener” to work with US customers. I am an ATA member and some US clients have contacted me because of that. I concur with Rachel that membership of a professional organisation can bring a number of benefits but as membership is not free you should consider which one is worth the money…

Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Rachel Waddington
Kay Denney
Anastasia Kalantzi

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Nah Nov 25, 2021

ATA is in bed with the other side of the business (MT, CAT companies, and large agencies).

Far from representing our interests, it acts against them.

I suspect their dream end goal is to eliminate us entirely. They seem to have Uber-style automation fantasies that involve making the human drones redundant.

[Edited at 2021-11-25 11:31 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
William Yang

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
URL Nov 25, 2021

Jiajun(jork) yin wrote:
What benefits could I get from this organization?

https://www.atanet.org/member-center/join-ata/
Basically, you get to be listed in their freelance register, you get access to certain webinars/meetings that you may otherwise not have had access to, and you can take their exam and become an accredited translator, which will impress some of your potential clients. Note: their exam is very difficult.

Jorge Payan

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:43
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It has helped me Nov 25, 2021

Companies who need translators search the ATA database to find somebody suitable for their jobs. (They also search the ProZ database.) I got my start as a professional translator because two major translation companies liked my profile in the ATA database. One of them offered me work directly, the other had me take a test first to make sure I could do the work adequately. Since then, I've been busy enough and have not needed the ATA; I let my membership lapse years ago. I continue to get job... See more
Companies who need translators search the ATA database to find somebody suitable for their jobs. (They also search the ProZ database.) I got my start as a professional translator because two major translation companies liked my profile in the ATA database. One of them offered me work directly, the other had me take a test first to make sure I could do the work adequately. Since then, I've been busy enough and have not needed the ATA; I let my membership lapse years ago. I continue to get job offers from companies who find my profile in the ProZ database ... but again, I'll emphasize that being listed with the ATA in the beginning made a big difference for me. And if you pass their challenging test and become ATA-certified, then you have an additional advantage and will get more, and better-paying, job offers. Your profile should state which languages you translate, and all of your relevant experience and education in the subject areas you translate ... list all of your strengths!

Good luck.
Collapse

Le Zhang

jiajunjorkyin
jiajunjorkyin
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
useful tips Nov 26, 2021

Thank you for all your support.

I just sent an application to the ATA. However, how to in the buttom of the application web,it shows the

CARD,what does it mean? Does it mean I should write my bank card ID?

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

What about immigration documents? Nov 26, 2021

For immigrants applying for US citizenship or visas, is an ATA certified translator required to do the translations? Or can 'just anyone' translate a document in America?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In the United States, anyone can certify a translation Nov 26, 2021

Source: https://www.atanet.org/client-assistance/what-is-a-certified-translation/

Le Zhang
Jorge Payan
Dylan J Hartmann
Natalia Potashnik

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
ATA Nov 26, 2021

Australian LSPs ask for Naati, and Chinese for Catti.

If you're targetting specifically US agencies for some reason, AND you live in the US, maybe it's a good thing to be listed in the ATA website.

FYI, there're a lot more jobs for Chinese translators living in the US, or at least out of mainland China.

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

In the United States, anyone can certify a translation

In the PRC, ONLY public notary office + LSP can do so.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Please enlighten us Nov 26, 2021

I’m shocked. Being a NAATI certified translator, this gives us access to any official document translations in Australia/New Zealand. Testing is strict and all government agencies/departments can rely on our expertise and credentials. We have to strictly follow a code of ethics and must undertake a specified number of continuing professional development activities in order to renew our certification. It’s all very well regulated and interpreters/translators for the most part are paid very well for their services (to the extent that so few NAATI certified translators are even on here!).

How is this possible that anyone can certify something in America? There must surely be countless examples of mistranslation or conflict of interest affecting the outcome.

Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Sure is wacky Nov 26, 2021

I once received an internal company screenshot in the course of ironing out a technical bug (timestamps on deliveries getting messed up) that claimed I had "certified" a translation.

Apparently, I've certified hundreds of the things.

Who knew.

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

I’m shocked. Being a NAATI certified translator, this gives us access to any official document translations in Australia/New Zealand. Testing is strict and all government agencies/departments can rely on our expertise and credentials. We have to strictly follow a code of ethics and must undertake a specified number of continuing professional development activities in order to renew our certification. It’s all very well regulated and interpreters/translators for the most part are paid very well for their services (to the extent that so few NAATI certified translators are even on here!).

How is this possible that anyone can certify something in America? There must surely be countless examples of mistranslation or conflict of interest affecting the outcome.

[Edited at 2021-11-26 19:42 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Certification in the US Nov 26, 2021

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Source: https://www.atanet.org/client-assistance/what-is-a-certified-translation/

Sorry Dylan, I cannot really comment, I am not working in the certified translations field and I am not in the US, I just used Google...

From the ATA article, the certification statement should include the following information at a minimum.

A statement of the translator's qualifications.
A statement affirming the completeness and accuracy of the document.
Identification of the translated document and language.
The translator's name, signature, and date.

So "anyone" still means "any qualified professional".

[Edited at 2021-11-26 21:13 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
A 'must'? - Certainly not. Nov 26, 2021

I’ve had a fruitful and satisfying career in translation for around 47 years. My only ‘qualification’ is a grade 4 O-level in French – an exam I took in England around 55 years ago.
All the other stuff – degrees, professional associations, CPD, etc. etc. - may be ‘nice to have’, but won’t make a jot of difference to your income if you can't demonstrate to potential clients that you're a competent translator.
To do that, you need to show them your work, not the fancy
... See more
I’ve had a fruitful and satisfying career in translation for around 47 years. My only ‘qualification’ is a grade 4 O-level in French – an exam I took in England around 55 years ago.
All the other stuff – degrees, professional associations, CPD, etc. etc. - may be ‘nice to have’, but won’t make a jot of difference to your income if you can't demonstrate to potential clients that you're a competent translator.
To do that, you need to show them your work, not the fancy diplomas hanging on the wall.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Philip Lees
Jorge Payan
IrinaN

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Certification in the US Nov 26, 2021

I confirm that anyone can certify a translation in the US. I did that many times and I am not an ATA member. My certified translations were accepted by Immigrations and other US government agencies.

It is not allowed to certify translations of your own documents. That is the only restriction. If for example I need to translate my birth certificate I can translate it myself and then ask someone else (friend, relative, etc) to sign an affidavit of translation for me.

Jorge Payan
Adieu
Le Zhang

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the membership of ATA a must for a translator and interpreter?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »