Tatiana Ozerov (X)
Tatiana Ozerov (X)  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 01:04
szwedzki > angielski
+ ...
Jul 6, 2012

Hello colleagues!

I am exploring the idea of submitting a proposal for funding to translate a Russian work related to Eastern Orthodox spirituality. If applicable, I will need to obtain permission from the author or other relevant person/entity. I have heard Russians say that Russian literature is not copyrighted, and that is why you can often find entire Russian-language books online. However, I have not found any good information online and am otherwise ignorant on this issue. In
... See more
Hello colleagues!

I am exploring the idea of submitting a proposal for funding to translate a Russian work related to Eastern Orthodox spirituality. If applicable, I will need to obtain permission from the author or other relevant person/entity. I have heard Russians say that Russian literature is not copyrighted, and that is why you can often find entire Russian-language books online. However, I have not found any good information online and am otherwise ignorant on this issue. In particular, I am interested in learning what the policy would be for obtaining permission to translate a work when the author is deceased. I don't have a particular work in mind yet and would like to have a good understanding of the copyright issue before moving forward in the selection process.

Any advise you may have on this would be greatly appreciated!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 02:04
angielski > portugalski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Check these out Jul 6, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_Russian_Federation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_Soviet_Union

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

rosyjski > angielski
+ ...
Try the publisher Jul 6, 2012

If the book has been published, perhaps try contacting the publisher to enquire whether the rights are available for translation.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Rosja
Local time: 08:04
włoski > rosyjski
+ ...
Possible! source of information about the general practice Jul 8, 2012

http://www.bogoslov.ru/

Hello Tatiana,

I suggest this site because it is one of the major Christians' online think tanks in Russia. There are represented, through the authors/posters, quite a few competent publishers. Hope this could help in directing your search. Would appreciate to know the result. I am not related to commercial activity in this field, but have heard from the involved
... See more
http://www.bogoslov.ru/

Hello Tatiana,

I suggest this site because it is one of the major Christians' online think tanks in Russia. There are represented, through the authors/posters, quite a few competent publishers. Hope this could help in directing your search. Would appreciate to know the result. I am not related to commercial activity in this field, but have heard from the involved persons that in this field, it's critical to survive until you get the reply from the publisher. Good luck!
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
USA
rosyjski > angielski
+ ...
Hi, I am interested in exactly the same thing Jul 8, 2012

I want to translate a Russian book from the 19th century. I only translated books written by alive authors, for publication purposes, I mean, so they held the copyrights. Would anyone hold copyrights to 19th century Russian books. The book might have been translated into some languages, I am not sure.

Tatiana Ozerov (X)
Tatiana Ozerov (X)  Identity Verified
USA
szwedzki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you Jul 11, 2012

Thank you all for your advise, and thanks Gennady, for providing the website. I will let you know if I am able to get some information through this source!

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 07:04
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Copyright length 50 - 70 years, not more Jul 11, 2012

LilianBoland wrote:

I want to translate a Russian book from the 19th century. I only translated books written by alive authors, for publication purposes, I mean, so they held the copyrights. Would anyone hold copyrights to 19th century Russian books. The book might have been translated into some languages, I am not sure.

A book from the 19th century is not subject any more to copyright restriction.

See this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries'_copyright_length

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
USA
rosyjski > angielski
+ ...
Thank you Nordiste Jul 11, 2012

Thank you Nordiste, I really appreciate it. I not thinking about any big financial gains -- I just happen to love the book. I really like Russian literature. I would not to end up in prison, at the same time, if I was doing something illegal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking advise on Russian copyright laws applicable to translation of book

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »