Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:08
English to Spanish
Dec 10, 2008

Via Of Two Minds:
--------------------------------------------------
Science journal mistakenly uses flyer for Macau brothel to illustrate report on China

By Clifford Coonan in Beijing
Tuesday, 9 December 2008

A respected research institute wanted Chinese classical texts to adorn its journal, something beautiful and elegant, to illustrate a special re
... See more
Via Of Two Minds:
Science journal mistakenly uses flyer for Macau brothel to illustrate report on China

By Clifford Coonan in Beijing
Tuesday, 9 December 2008

A respected research institute wanted Chinese classical texts to adorn its journal, something beautiful and elegant, to illustrate a special report on China. Instead, it got a racy flyer extolling the lusty details of stripping housewives in a brothel.

Chinese characters look dramatic and beautiful, and have a powerful visual impact, but make sure you get the meaning of the characters straight before jumping right in.

There were red faces on the editorial board of one of Germany's top scientific institutions, the Max Planck Institute, after it ran the text of a handbill for a Macau strip club on the front page of its latest journal. Editors had hoped to find an elegant Chinese poem to grace the cover of a special issue, focusing on China, of the MaxPlanckForschung journal, but instead of poetry they ran a text effectively proclaiming "Hot Housewives in action!" on the front of the third-quarter edition. Their "enchanting and coquettish performance" was highly recommended. (...)

Read full article here: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/chinese-classical-poem-was-brothel-ad-1058031.html
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 17:08
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Thanks for the link Dec 10, 2008

I especially liked the bit about the tattoo parlours at the end of the article... I often wondered about that (I'm tattoo-free.)

Nancy

TranslatorB (X)
TranslatorB (X)
English to Croatian
ha ha Dec 10, 2008

hilarious !

there was a similar story with a guy who wanted to have a Chinese tattoo ( Chinese writing/alphabet )... and he got the tattoo thinking it says " Peace forever", while it actually read " I am an asshole "

[Edited at 2008-12-10 16:57 GMT]

Miles Crew
Miles Crew  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
Chinese to English
Seen this... Dec 10, 2008

What's really funny is that this was supposedly checked by a "Sinologist" who declared it just an inoffensive display of traditional writing without any meaning. Admittedly, this sign, in attempting to be a bit cute and different, was written a bit more "classically" than typical club-girl advertisements (yes, I know what's typical; when I lived in Hong Kong I read absolutely everything), but surely the girl's name "KK" should've prompted any supposed "Sinologist" to look a bit closer even if t... See more
What's really funny is that this was supposedly checked by a "Sinologist" who declared it just an inoffensive display of traditional writing without any meaning. Admittedly, this sign, in attempting to be a bit cute and different, was written a bit more "classically" than typical club-girl advertisements (yes, I know what's typical; when I lived in Hong Kong I read absolutely everything), but surely the girl's name "KK" should've prompted any supposed "Sinologist" to look a bit closer even if the dirty meanings didn't jump out at him immediately. But really, the "hot-bodied housewives" line is pretty direct. Somebody needs to stop trying to slog through Confucius and get himself up-to-date.Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 14:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Just wondering... Dec 11, 2008

... have the revenues of the club in question increased thanks to this snafu?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:08
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
... and of the Institute? Dec 11, 2008

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

... have the revenues of the club in question increased thanks to this snafu?

... and those of the Max Planck Institute too, perhaps?
Jenny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese 'classical poem' was brothel ad

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »