Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: concentration tips wanted....
Thread poster: Kelly Gill
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:52
German to English
+ ...
What Melzie said Jan 16, 2009

I agree with inviting kids over, too. Two days/wk. after school my kids are at a friend's house and two days/wk. his kids are here. We both have our own businesses. Amazing how having 5 over can be less work than 2, but it's true! Last night that family needed babysitting help, so we had the 5 over even though my husband and I both had to work - I slapped together a 10-minute dinner of tostadas and the girls practiced a "dancing show" for a couple of hours while we worked.

That...an
... See more
I agree with inviting kids over, too. Two days/wk. after school my kids are at a friend's house and two days/wk. his kids are here. We both have our own businesses. Amazing how having 5 over can be less work than 2, but it's true! Last night that family needed babysitting help, so we had the 5 over even though my husband and I both had to work - I slapped together a 10-minute dinner of tostadas and the girls practiced a "dancing show" for a couple of hours while we worked.

That...and some TV...is how we cope.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:52
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
More kids = less work Jan 16, 2009

So true!

As it happens, in my circle of friends, most of us waited until later in life to start our families. I am the mother of three. A couple of friends, overwhelmed by the change a newborn brought into their lives, are hesitant about having another; I'm forever trying to convince them that an only child (I should know; I'm an only child) will cling to their apron strings far more than a child with siblings, because their need for attention (and an opponent) is fulfilled by anoth
... See more
So true!

As it happens, in my circle of friends, most of us waited until later in life to start our families. I am the mother of three. A couple of friends, overwhelmed by the change a newborn brought into their lives, are hesitant about having another; I'm forever trying to convince them that an only child (I should know; I'm an only child) will cling to their apron strings far more than a child with siblings, because their need for attention (and an opponent) is fulfilled by another child.

We're in a rural setting, so no parks or other facilities within walking distance, and only 2 kids in the same age range as my own - but when these two little boys come over, they play and play in the backyard and I don't hear from my two oldest (7 and 8). The little one, 2, naturally stays close to Mum. Even in the winter time, a PS2 is a very handy tool and for those who fear that video games promote laziness and obesity, well, they haven't seen my Nathan as he jumps up and down, up and down in front of the screen, trying to beat the game

Nancy
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The obvious thing to do... Jan 21, 2009

is to praise the neighbour for dumping the dog and send the kids out to walk him/her/it!

Even better, ask other neighbours to contribute and send the kids out with three dogs.

(We used to have our own dog, but then I had to walk him when the kids were not at home!)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

concentration tips wanted....

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »