Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: What music do you listen to when you translate?
Thread poster: conejo
Lydia Foster
Lydia Foster  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spotify playlists Jun 12, 2009

When my broadband isn't playing up, I generally switch on Spotify - like LastFm or iTunes but you can actually search and listen to streamed full albums by artist. Currently it's by invitation but I suspect in the future it will be paying.. (it's too good to be free!)

As regards my favourite music, it depends on what I'm translating and my mood at the time.. It ranges from U2 (of course, I'm Irish), jazzy Jamie Cullum, opera etc. to 80s throwbacks (anyone remember Mr Mister???!!) an
... See more
When my broadband isn't playing up, I generally switch on Spotify - like LastFm or iTunes but you can actually search and listen to streamed full albums by artist. Currently it's by invitation but I suspect in the future it will be paying.. (it's too good to be free!)

As regards my favourite music, it depends on what I'm translating and my mood at the time.. It ranges from U2 (of course, I'm Irish), jazzy Jamie Cullum, opera etc. to 80s throwbacks (anyone remember Mr Mister???!!) and Brit pop.

Currently I have a few playlists created based on Twilight (I know, shock horror! but I've become a major fan after reading the four books in the space of two weeks) that have been created by the author which is mostly Muse but with some other some great alternative rock music and even classical opera (Love La Traviata Prelude) - great for keeping you awake when trying to translate documents about XML messaging with lots of Java and C++ code - YAWN

Another great thing is that I can share playlists with my husband in work, so the variety is endless!
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:50
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
So many options Jun 12, 2009

It all depends on the mood really (and the deadline which influences the mood now and then). Sometimes I listen to some radio and sometimes I even put some of my favorite movies as a background.

As for the choice music it can range from Vivaldi to 30 Seconds to Mars, from Andrea Bocelli to Max Pezzali and from Ludovico Einaudi to Within Temptation and New Age music like that of Medwyn Goodall.

ps: and yes, I am the victim of the Twilight saga as well and it has influen
... See more
It all depends on the mood really (and the deadline which influences the mood now and then). Sometimes I listen to some radio and sometimes I even put some of my favorite movies as a background.

As for the choice music it can range from Vivaldi to 30 Seconds to Mars, from Andrea Bocelli to Max Pezzali and from Ludovico Einaudi to Within Temptation and New Age music like that of Medwyn Goodall.

ps: and yes, I am the victim of the Twilight saga as well and it has influenced my taste in music for Ive come to love Muse

[Edited at 2009-06-12 13:32 GMT]
Collapse

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:50
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Call me boring... Jun 12, 2009

Hi

I never ever listen to music while I am translating. I just couldn't do it as the translations I do are too difficult and need my concentration. Also, I am useless at multi-tasking.

Liz Askew

Ilary (X)
Ilary (X)

I prefer no music Jun 16, 2009

I find it difficult to listen to music and think in another language at the same time. This is why I usually don't listen to music while translating (or, when I happen to listen to it, I keep the volume down, otherwise I get distracted). I'd like to be 100% concentrated while doing a translation!

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
French to English
Wish I could, Jun 16, 2009

but even if I put on instrumental music with zero singing, I still end up following it more closely than my text.

Sigh.

Would love to be more compart-mental-ized.

Stephanie

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nine Inch Nails... Jun 16, 2009

...or Tool seem to get me going pretty well unless the text is extremely difficult, in which case I like the sounds of drum&bass or electronic-background music (something with no real lyrics that might distract me).

Boris Rogowski
Boris Rogowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Depends on the translation, but: Jun 17, 2009

High Llamas, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Tortoise, The Sea & Cake, Eric Satie, J.S. Bach

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What music do you listen to when you translate?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »