Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:20
English
+ ...
Meeting in the middle. Jun 15, 2009

Andreas. I think we may be closer in position that I at first thought. I react to the word "design" like many politicians do to the word "truth" - it sends a shudder down my spine

I definitely agree with you about the first time visitor not understanding what is on offer here at first view. In fact, when I was a Mod, that was one of my main gripes.

I have introduced many people to ProZ and seen their bewil
... See more
Andreas. I think we may be closer in position that I at first thought. I react to the word "design" like many politicians do to the word "truth" - it sends a shudder down my spine

I definitely agree with you about the first time visitor not understanding what is on offer here at first view. In fact, when I was a Mod, that was one of my main gripes.

I have introduced many people to ProZ and seen their bewilderment when faced with the main page. However, the site did add a lot of information for beginners, which I believe is visible when you arrive for the first time... or am I way off beam on that one? Is the home page any different if you log off and come back to it?

I am glad that you do not want more "bells and whistles". Many professionally designed sites I have come across seem to have been designed by "artists" who have convinced their clients that such annoying tricks are "more professional". I think we both agree then that such devices are a hindrance, rather than a help on a professional website.

Now that you have further explained your ideas, I am more inclined to agree with your proposal to rename areas with an obvious name, rather than our long established site names.

Kudoz is one example. How would anyone guess that this was a "Terms Help" service by glancing at that? We could rename it "Terms Help" and still call the points gained for such help "Kudoz points", couldn't we?

The Blue Board is a bit more controversial. Perhaps we could call it "Outsourcer Feedback" - it certainly cannot legally be called a "Blacklist" - which, thankfully, it can virtually become for the more unscrupulous in the profession.

I also see that there are indeed repetitions on the main 8 Menus on the home page. Plus a lot of the options on My Proz do not need to be on the home page at all, do they? A single link to My Proz, where the current options would then be available, should suffice there, shouldn't it?

The coming 10th Anniversary might be a good time to do a reorganization of the information on key pages. I certainly prefer the word reorganization to redesign. To paraphrase a certain historical figure: "When I hear the word design, I reach for my gun!"

Pax et Bonum!
Collapse

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
French to English
+ ...
It's not the design of ProZ Jun 15, 2009

that bothers me, it's the name. I hate it!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The History of ProZ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »