Off topic: The History of the Web (and Proz too)
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2009

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://proz.com

Really addictive to view one's postings from 6 or more years back. So many names that do not appear any more in these fora.
Great stuff. Enjoy!
Regards
Heinrich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What about 1999? Jun 12, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://proz.com

The earliest page in the Wayback Machine is from March 2000. But the domain proz.com was registered in February 1999. Does anyone have screenshots of the 1999 pages?

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Kudoz leaders Jun 12, 2009

Interesting to see their records!

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why Kudoz? Jun 13, 2009

I posted this thread on "Lighter Side of Translation", because someone had posted there a bit earlier "The history of Proz" with a link to a video-collection of snapshots
http://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/137444-the_history_of_proz.html

Then a moderator put my thread into Kudoz and sent me a reminder about not
... See more
I posted this thread on "Lighter Side of Translation", because someone had posted there a bit earlier "The history of Proz" with a link to a video-collection of snapshots
http://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/137444-the_history_of_proz.html

Then a moderator put my thread into Kudoz and sent me a reminder about not adhering to forum rules. I wonder why.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who knows? Jun 14, 2009

During the weekend I have received two more reminders from monitors, which moved my posting around from one category to another. I feel really honoured!

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Profiles in the WB Machine Jun 15, 2009

What strikes me is that the WB Machine not only stored home pages, but also old data such as kudoz point lists. Frome these lists it is easy to find the profiles which were linked at that time: I got back two very old profiles I closed in the meantime. Is this allright vs individual data protection regulations?

And if you know the ID of someone (go in his profile and copy the line in your browser), you can ask all the profiles the WB machine stored for this user.

Anoth
... See more
What strikes me is that the WB Machine not only stored home pages, but also old data such as kudoz point lists. Frome these lists it is easy to find the profiles which were linked at that time: I got back two very old profiles I closed in the meantime. Is this allright vs individual data protection regulations?

And if you know the ID of someone (go in his profile and copy the line in your browser), you can ask all the profiles the WB machine stored for this user.

Another aspect is the BB records. As from 2006, some alphabetical lists are available, with their notations. I was very surprised to see that one of my best clients had 2 on this old BlueBoard. If I were that client, I would ask to remove this record.

[Modifié le 2009-06-15 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting question Jun 15, 2009

NMR wrote:

Another aspect is the BB records. As from 2006, some alphabetical lists are available, with their notations. I was very surprised to see that one of my best clients had 2 on this old BlueBoard. If I were that client, I would ask to remove this record.

[Modifié le 2009-06-15 10:03 GMT]

The source of the code in the Web-archives in this case is Proz.com. If this information was available to crawlers in 2002 and should have been protected one can hardly expect the archive to protect it now.

Probably it is not against the law to publish facts on the web.

Regards
Heinrich

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Don't know Jun 15, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Probably it is not against the law to publish facts on the web.

Regards
Heinrich

As for facts, it isn't, but now that we have social websites, where everybody has profiles which contain individual data, maybe we must see this in another perspective.

I tried the same thing with another social website, and no personal profiles were available. So this website took measures to avoid personal queries and protected its old individual data. In fact I think that this website had another and better way of making separations between the interface and the content (each link seemed to be a query, not a simple link to another page).

I didn't know that proz was the source of this grabbing. If this is so, proz gave personal data we voluntarily modified or deleted, and which belong to the past, to another company. I didn't opt-in for this method.

[Modifié le 2009-06-15 13:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The History of the Web (and Proz too)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »