Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 09:29
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 7, 2009

The Finnish Ministry of Employment and the Economy runs a very popular service listing vacancies, the main source of job ads in Finland.

They have an ad for a...

Hair extensionist/translator.
Work is in Helsinki and it includes making hair extensions, assisting in making them, improving the company's international visibility and translating business correspondence from Finnish into European languages, including English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
... See more
The Finnish Ministry of Employment and the Economy runs a very popular service listing vacancies, the main source of job ads in Finland.

They have an ad for a...

Hair extensionist/translator.
Work is in Helsinki and it includes making hair extensions, assisting in making them, improving the company's international visibility and translating business correspondence from Finnish into European languages, including English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
1-5 years of experience of hair extensions and translating would be nice.
The job is part-time, 5 hours a day 5 days a week and you will be paid 1000 €/month.

(I will add that that is less than 1/3 of a decent monthly salary in Finland. The ad itself could REALLY have used a proofreading,)

I should think they will be drowning in competent job applicants!
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:29
English to French
+ ...
cleaning lady+translator in France Jul 7, 2009

Some years ago the French job center (ANPE) had an ad for "a cleaning lady, living inhouse ; tasks included cooking and ironing and translating the novel written by the employer from Arabic into French." The salary was very very low because the "translator" was offered a room in the house and also meals...

The French translator's association (SFT) wrote a protest letter ... and the ad was removed.

Some months later there was a new ad for" an automotive worker/transl
... See more
Some years ago the French job center (ANPE) had an ad for "a cleaning lady, living inhouse ; tasks included cooking and ironing and translating the novel written by the employer from Arabic into French." The salary was very very low because the "translator" was offered a room in the house and also meals...

The French translator's association (SFT) wrote a protest letter ... and the ad was removed.

Some months later there was a new ad for" an automotive worker/translator - full time job, half time as a worker and half time as an interpreter French-Polish - minimum wages of course. This was just after Poland joined the EU and many companies wanted to hire low-wages workforce from new EU countries.
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:29
Japanese to English
Paid trials (but not quite what you might be thinking...) Jul 7, 2009

Things being a little quiet here at the moment, I was looking through some agency listings. In the Registration Procedure of one agency, they mentioned a Translation Trial (Paid). However, further investigation showed that the agency want to be paid 5,000 yen for the service of checking your unpaid translation.

I think I'd sooner start my career improvement by practising putting hair extensions on my neighbour's dog before I considered paying to take trials. At least with the hair
... See more
Things being a little quiet here at the moment, I was looking through some agency listings. In the Registration Procedure of one agency, they mentioned a Translation Trial (Paid). However, further investigation showed that the agency want to be paid 5,000 yen for the service of checking your unpaid translation.

I think I'd sooner start my career improvement by practising putting hair extensions on my neighbour's dog before I considered paying to take trials. At least with the hair extension/translation job, the flow of money is going in the right direction...
Collapse

Ana Rita Simões
Ana Rita Simões  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:29
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
doesn't beat yours, but... Jul 8, 2009

In the our Ministry of Employment's job ads portal there's constantly (not hard to figure out why...) a job ad for a Chinese/Arabic translator for a fishing company, working 8 hours a day from 9 am to 6 pm, for the tempting monthly salary of 500€. Mind you, it's above our minimum wage (around 420€)... But still 4 or 5 times less than a decent salary here. From time to time this job ad disappears, and then reappears again a couple of months later - I wonder if they managed to find someone in ... See more
In the our Ministry of Employment's job ads portal there's constantly (not hard to figure out why...) a job ad for a Chinese/Arabic translator for a fishing company, working 8 hours a day from 9 am to 6 pm, for the tempting monthly salary of 500€. Mind you, it's above our minimum wage (around 420€)... But still 4 or 5 times less than a decent salary here. From time to time this job ad disappears, and then reappears again a couple of months later - I wonder if they managed to find someone in the meantime?!

[Edited at 2009-07-08 09:05 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Fishy employment Jul 8, 2009

Ana Rita Simões wrote:
... a job ad for a Chinese/Arabic translator for a fishing company, working 8 hours a day from 9 am to 6 pm, for the tempting monthly salary of 500€.

Is this translator offered a share of the catch?

Ana Rita Simões
Ana Rita Simões  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very fishy! Jul 8, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Is this translator offered a share of the catch?

I certainly hope so - it might even be a good deal after all, given the current price of the sardines in our supermarkets

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best translation job ads

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »