Off topic: Famous movie quotes
Thread poster: greenlantern
Nov 2, 2010

Hello everyone,
On the lighter side of translation, I wonder how to say "This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" in French, a famous movie quote from Casablance. Is it as well known and evocative in French as English?
What are other famous movie quotes that are just as "parlant" between both languages?
Have fun,
GL

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Don't know but... Nov 2, 2010

Speaking of Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart famously tells Ingrid Bergman in the German version of the film "Schau mir in die Augen, Kleines", which means something like "look me in the eyes, little one", a phrase a lot more patronizing than the original "Here's looking at you, kid"...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Gone with the Wind and Some Like it Hot Nov 2, 2010

Surely the closing words of Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) in Gone With the Wind must be one of the most famous of movie quotes - "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". It must have been translated into other languages, but I don't know how.
Jenny

P.S. And then there's Joe E. Brown's incomparable closing line in Some Like it Hot - "Well, nobody's perfect".

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Requested quote Nov 2, 2010

If this site is anything to go by.. I searched for Casablanca+debut+amitie and found this:

On entend ensuite la réplique de fin de Casablanca "Louis, je crois que ceci est le début d'une merveilleuse amitié" et c'est le moment où ...
www.prise2tete.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?id

...and here's a confirmation:
Cette réplique, « Louis, je crois que ceci
... See more
If this site is anything to go by.. I searched for Casablanca+debut+amitie and found this:

On entend ensuite la réplique de fin de Casablanca "Louis, je crois que ceci est le début d'une merveilleuse amitié" et c'est le moment où ...
www.prise2tete.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?id

...and here's a confirmation:
Cette réplique, « Louis, je crois que ceci est le début d'une merveilleuse amitié », est l'une des plus célèbres du film. Wallis envisage également de ...
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casablanca_(film)

[Edited at 2010-11-02 12:40 GMT]
Collapse

greenlantern
greenlantern
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 2, 2010

Very interesting Nesrin, thanks! And I agree, Jenny, Some Like It Hot has the best closing line ever.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:52
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
nobody is perfect & Scarlett Nov 2, 2010

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Surely the closing words of Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) in Gone With the Wind must be one of the most famous of movie quotes - "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". It must have been translated into other languages, but I don't know how.
Jenny

P.S. And then there's Joe E. Brown's incomparable closing line in Some Like it Hot - "Well, nobody's perfect".

Exactly. I think "Nobody is perfect" became international I used to have a T-shirt with "nobody is perfect but I'm pretty close". Of course I didn't dare to wear it anywhere else but my home or garden
And regarding "Gone with the Wind" (which I don't really like, I think it's an awfully boring movie), but still, I use to quote Scarlett now and then, when I'm in trouble and worry, I use to say: "Well, I'll think about that tomorrow."

[Edited at 2010-11-02 12:57 GMT]

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
As to Gone with the Wind Nov 2, 2010

"Franchement ma chère... Je m'en fiche comme d'une guigne".

for
Frankly, dear, I don't give a damn.

greenlantern
greenlantern
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 2, 2010

I can't wait to say "franchement ma chère" now...
Well, lunch is over, back to work. Thanks for your ideas, everyone!
GL

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
German versions must exist Nov 2, 2010

I know the German titles of "Gone with the Wind" (vom Wind verweht") and "Some Like It Hot" (Manche mögen's heiss"), so these translations must exist.

Maria Rosa Fontana
Maria Rosa Fontana  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Gone with the Wind in Italian Nov 2, 2010

"Francamente me ne infischio"

for "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEwZO0xW-IE

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 2, 2010

[Edited at 2010-11-02 20:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-11-02 20:05 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Wuthering Heights Nov 2, 2010

Not sure if they used the original quote exactly as it is in the novel:

- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights, Ch. 9
"Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Famous movie quotes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »