Off topic: Off topic: 'solidarity' messages in different languages
Thread poster: btichborne
btichborne
btichborne
Local time: 13:18
Italian to English
Nov 2, 2010

Hi,

I want to make some banners for an event with solidarity messages to workers in places where there've been recent strikes or other labour rights issues going on. I'm trying to avoid having to turn to online dictionaries because I'd like to find the messages with the right connotations not just literal translations. So, can anyone help me out with whatever would be an appropriate way to say "solidarity", "we support you", or whatever else would be apt, in these languages (or any
... See more
Hi,

I want to make some banners for an event with solidarity messages to workers in places where there've been recent strikes or other labour rights issues going on. I'm trying to avoid having to turn to online dictionaries because I'd like to find the messages with the right connotations not just literal translations. So, can anyone help me out with whatever would be an appropriate way to say "solidarity", "we support you", or whatever else would be apt, in these languages (or any others where there've been labour rights issues over the last year). I've put in the regions as well, in case of dialects, or me getting the language wrong. It'd also be helpful to know if there are any political issues around the languages in these areas, if factory workers might be using a minority or foreign language (if there are many migrant workers) for example:

Khmer (Phnom Penh, Cambodia)

Chinese (Guangdong, China)

Bengali (Dhaka, Bangladesh)

Spanish (Honduras)

Thai

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me!

Beth
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Off topic: 'solidarity' messages in different languages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »