Off topic: Dictionary of Spanish words containing all 5 vowels
Thread poster: cranium
cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2011

A woman from Medellín has produced a dictionary of 355 Spanish words that contain all 5 vowels. The work took her 2 months to prepare by reading the Larousse dictionary.
http://www.rcnradio.com/noticias/04-01-11/una-mujer-investig-en-un-diccionario-todos-los-t-rminos-que-contienen-las-5-vocale
I must
... See more
A woman from Medellín has produced a dictionary of 355 Spanish words that contain all 5 vowels. The work took her 2 months to prepare by reading the Larousse dictionary.
http://www.rcnradio.com/noticias/04-01-11/una-mujer-investig-en-un-diccionario-todos-los-t-rminos-que-contienen-las-5-vocale
I must admit I had never noticed this particularity of such common words as murciélago, auténtico and eulogia.
Enjoy!
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:37
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Similar work has been done on English Jan 5, 2011

See, for example:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_word_contains_all_vowels_in_alphabetical_order
http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_vowels.html

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thank you SBlack and Jack :) Jan 5, 2011

Now I'll spend the next few days trying to work out if there's any Swedish word that contains all 8 vowels (a,e,i,o,u,y,å,ä,ö). I doubt it, but you've set me a challenge I can't refuse...

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oh dear Jan 5, 2011

If she enjoys reading the dictionary, I guess it's as good a pastime as any... but if she was just curious about how many such words there are, she could have had her answer in a few hours.
Seriously, I could download a wikipedia and/or wiktionary dump or any other large text corpus and find all the words matching any arbitrary pattern in an hour. All it takes is a dozen lines of code in perl. In fact, there may be corpora with online search tools that can do this for you in minutes.
... See more
If she enjoys reading the dictionary, I guess it's as good a pastime as any... but if she was just curious about how many such words there are, she could have had her answer in a few hours.
Seriously, I could download a wikipedia and/or wiktionary dump or any other large text corpus and find all the words matching any arbitrary pattern in an hour. All it takes is a dozen lines of code in perl. In fact, there may be corpora with online search tools that can do this for you in minutes.
Maybe I'll do it, I'm sure more than 355 will pop up.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Another language oddity Jan 16, 2011

The letter below is from Henrik (Henry) to his beloved wife, Helga.

It describes Henrik's trip through Germany to The Hague and by boat to Helsinki and beyond. He writes about his companions and their activities, the hotel in Helsinki, and of course, the weather. He tells her about his longing to see her and the three children, and the presents he is going to bring them.
Finally, he promises to be back by Easter, to celebrate it at home, together.

The letter is p
... See more
The letter below is from Henrik (Henry) to his beloved wife, Helga.

It describes Henrik's trip through Germany to The Hague and by boat to Helsinki and beyond. He writes about his companions and their activities, the hotel in Helsinki, and of course, the weather. He tells her about his longing to see her and the three children, and the presents he is going to bring them.
Finally, he promises to be back by Easter, to celebrate it at home, together.

The letter is perfectly lucid, grammatically acceptable, if a bit old-fashioned.

Unfortunately for you lot, it is in Hungarian, but have a glimpse anyway. You may notice the oddity I am talking about! (It may be especially challenging for French speakers.)

Have you got anything similar in other languages?

Helgám!

Hazám határait hátrahagyva, három hétig Hegel Henyné honában Hannóverben, Hamburgban helyettesítettem hivatalos honoráriumért Hansot és Herbertet.

Hetedikén, hétfőn hárman Hédivel, Hugóval, (holland házaspár) Hágából Helsinkibe hajóztunk. Hédi horgolt, hímzett. Hugó heverészett, hálóhelyére húzódott, hogy Horatiusnak hódoljon.

Hajósaink hevenyészett hálóval, horoggal hitvány heringet halásztak. Hajónkat hamarosan hömpölygő hullámok háborították, halászcsónakként himbálták, hányták Herkulesünket.

Helsinki hídjai, hétemeletes házai, hatalmas hengerműve, hőerőművei hatásosak. Harisnyagyárai, húsüzemei hetedhét határban híresek.

Huszonharmadikán hangversenyen Haendel, Haydn, Hubai hegedűversenyét hallgattuk.

Hébe-hóba hülyéskedtünk, hotelünk halljában huncutkodtunk, hatásos históriákkal hárijánoskodtunk.

Havazik Helsinkiben. Hó hull háztetőkre, hidakra, halpiacokra. Hódprémet, hócipőt, halinacsizmát hordanak. Hómunkásaik helytállását három havilap hirdeti.

Hőmérőnk higanyszála hajnalban húszig húzódik. Háromnegyed hétkor hosszan hangzik Helsinki harangszava. Híva, huomenta! (jó reggelt) - hallani helyenként.
Hideg hétköznapokon, ha hétkor holdfénynél hólabdázunk, hokizunk, helsinkiek helyeslő huj huj hajrát hallgatjuk. Hétvégi hóbortunk hógolyózás.

Hokizás helyett hol huszonegyezéssel, hol hubertusz hörpintgetésével hevülünk, hűségünket holtig halasszuk.
Hédi Helsinki hölgyekkel hímző hobbijának hódol.

Hotelünk hangulatos, hanem hálószobáink huzatosak, hidegek. Helységeiben hintaszékek, heverők háziszőttesekkel. Hotelbéli hálótársaink hűvösek hozzánk. Hugó hajnali háromkor horkol, helytelenkedik, hangulatuk haragosra hanyatlik.

Heveny hörg-huruthoz hamar hozzájutottam, huzamosan hevertem.

Hanoiból háborús híreket hoznak, heves harcokról, holnapi hidrogénbombákról. Harctereken háborútól, himlőtől, hastífusztól, hepatitisztől hullanak hajszolt halandók.

Holnapra helikopterrel Hamenlinába hívnak Hejkéék. Harmincezres helység, hazai Hatvanunkhoz hasonlít. Hadtörténész haveromnál, Hejkééknél hálok.

Hiába hagytalak Helgám Hegyeshalomnál, harmatarcod, hattyúnyakad, hollóhajad hazaszólít Hejkéék honából. Hazahív Hungária! Hosszú hontalanságomból, húsvétra hazaérkezem hozzátok Hevesre.

Hermelinbunda hízelegne hiúságodnak, ha hozzáférhető?
Hajnalkának helyes hósapkát, Hubának hullámvasútat helyeztem hátizsákomba, Hugónak homokozójátékot, horgászfelszerelést hozok.

Hármótok híján honvágyam hétről-hétre hatalmasodik.
Hiszem, hogy húsvétkor hiánytalanul helyreáll harmónikus házasságunk, Hevesen, házunkban húsvétolhatunk.

Helsinkiben halak havának huszonhetedikén
Hű Henriked
Collapse

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Challenging indeed Jan 16, 2011

Cute! Have you seen the English paragraph entirely without the letter "e"? It begins with "this is an unusual paragraph"...

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
End Jan 22, 2011

and I guess it could end "and I say, this brings this unusual paragraph to a final conclusion."

PAUL

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Phrase without E Jan 22, 2011

In fact, it is not at all difficult to think of a paragraph without this fifth symbol, although most common. Try it out!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:37
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Off-topic on 'e's and lack thereof Jan 22, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:

In fact, it is not at all difficult to think of a paragraph without this fifth symbol, although most common. Try it out!

I'm trying it out right now, Paul, and it's not too hard, as you say........

....... however, the challenge comes when inventing phrases where every term includes the letter E. Phew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary of Spanish words containing all 5 vowels

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »