Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]
Off topic: "You must give us a discount....
Initiator des Themas: Suzan Hamer
Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Tschechische Republik
Local time: 02:20
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
Just received Feb 22, 2011

From a letter that arrived in my mailbox 5 minutes ago:

"Over the next month we will have approx. 50 hours of DA (Danish) audio to transcribe with a specific set of rules and a special software – very user friendly. The rate would be $75/audio hour, subject is general. All audio files are very short, but there are many files and rules to follow. However, with the software we developed, everything will be quite easy and fast to process, and the rules are easy once you learn them."

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Polen
Mitglied (2010)
Englisch > Polnisch
+ ...
Hm? Feb 23, 2011

"Over the next month we will have approx. 50 hours of DA (Danish) audio to transcribe with a specific set of rules and a special software – very user friendly. The rate would be $75/audio hour, subject is general. All audio files are very short, but there are many files and rules to follow. However, with the software we developed, everything will be quite easy and fast to process, and the rules are easy once you learn them."

That's great, but can you be specific about this message? There's nothing wrong with it for me. Not that I know what the rate should be, or anything....

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Tschechische Republik
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
Just an example Feb 28, 2011

Michal Glowacki wrote:

That's great, but can you be specific about this message? There's nothing wrong with it for me. Not that I know what the rate should be, or anything....

Just a typical example of a lowish rate for a job encumbered by numerous rules being justified by "very user friendly software".

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 17:20
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
In stillem Gedenken
My personal favorite: "Because it's industry standard." Feb 28, 2011

Quote from a recent email correspondence after being contacted by a potential agency customer:

"Dear translator,

[...job...need translator, etc.]

Please provide your rates and your discount."

Me: "Dear [PM],
How come that you are asking me for favors before you even learned my name?]

PM: "Favor? Discounts are industry standard."

Me: "Last time I checked translators are the industry, and I can assure you that thi
... See more
Quote from a recent email correspondence after being contacted by a potential agency customer:

"Dear translator,

[...job...need translator, etc.]

Me: "Last time I checked translators are the industry, and I can assure you that this is not a standard."

PM: "My apologies. I am new to this job."
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 19:20
Mitglied (2008)
Kroatisch > Englisch
+ ...
Perhaps increase rate and then discount Feb 28, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

"Dear translator,

..need translator, etc.]

Me: "Last time I checked translators are the industry, and I can assure you that this is not a standard."

PM: "My apologies. I am new to this job."

[/quote]

How funny!
Perhaps the PM's are like purchasing managers in many industries where part of their performance evaluation is based on their negotiation skills, as judged by how much they manage to reduce initial quotes.
I suppose one could tell them that the rate is [your usual rate*1.15], but that you can offer offer a goodwill discount of 10%. I'm sure this happens in all sorts of industries.
If they refuse to deal with you, it doesn't sound like a great loss.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 19:20
Mitglied (2008)
Kroatisch > Englisch
+ ...
"...because we'll give you extra time." Feb 28, 2011

Generally meaning a few extra hours or perhaps a day or two, in exchange for an inferior rate.
What on earth is up with that logic? I'm 100% booked -- if your rate that equates to $15/h is unacceptable if I spend that hour/those hours today, what possible difference does it make if I split that time up over x days? Sheesh.

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"You must give us a discount....

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »