Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:07
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
:D Mar 17, 2011

I guess this relates to proofreading (monolingual), I don't see a translation here.

Funny though

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
The selection board's reaction... Mar 17, 2011

reminds me of my own when I was proofreading a translation in which the translator had rendered "prokurist" as "procurer".

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proofreading x Translation Mar 18, 2011

To Lingua 5B: Yes, I suppose the best title would have been "Proofreading humour" rather than "Translation humour" but of course proofreading is an important part of our job as well.

One error that I have spotted in my own work (always in time fortunately) is "goof" instead of "good" as in "I do a goof job" - the D and the F are too close. Another tricky problem is "not" for "now".

PAUL

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:07
English to French
+ ...
Pavlov typing... Mar 20, 2011

As I worked for consulting engineers for 16 years, I typed zillion times a week the word "entrepreneur", to the point that any word beginning with "entre..." was inexorably receiving the "preneur-backspace/backspace/back..." before any other ending. This reflex continued for years after I had left the last firm.
Now that I have been working with lawyers for more than 15 years, I let you imagine my typing reflexes after godzillions "la présente", "aux présentes", "des présentes" and eve
... See more
As I worked for consulting engineers for 16 years, I typed zillion times a week the word "entrepreneur", to the point that any word beginning with "entre..." was inexorably receiving the "preneur-backspace/backspace/back..." before any other ending. This reflex continued for years after I had left the last firm.
Now that I have been working with lawyers for more than 15 years, I let you imagine my typing reflexes after godzillions "la présente", "aux présentes", "des présentes" and even more "thereof", "therein", "thereto", "therefor", "thereby", "thereafter"...
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sexist ad? Mar 20, 2011

Sorry folks, but isn't this ad a bit sexist? I mean that the men are laughing at something which initially is not too funny, and the ad puts the woman in a reaction she would not have, to a situation that would never exist.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Humour

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »