Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 20, 2011

This was displayed when BBC World reported on Libya.
My feedback to BBC World:

'A translator's voice is never heard. What you mean is "voice of interpreter". Interpreters speak when interpreting speach, translators type when translating text.'

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:03
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Dubbing Mar 20, 2011

As long as we are not talking about a live broadcast with an interpreter involved, I consider every translated word "my voice" because I wrote every word of the politician's / the CEO's / the scientist's speech or the newscaster's report. Even if the audio part was performed by a voice-over artist (who has to re-record parts in case I don't agree with his / her way to emphasize individual parts of a sentence), I consider the translation my voice.

A transcript of the finished film /
... See more
As long as we are not talking about a live broadcast with an interpreter involved, I consider every translated word "my voice" because I wrote every word of the politician's / the CEO's / the scientist's speech or the newscaster's report. Even if the audio part was performed by a voice-over artist (who has to re-record parts in case I don't agree with his / her way to emphasize individual parts of a sentence), I consider the translation my voice.

A transcript of the finished film / video can never contain: "interpreter's voice".

Interpreting is simply a different story.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Legal issue Mar 20, 2011

Should I ever be sued because of a translation error during such a broadcast - causing WWIII or a total crash of the stock market or something - I am the translator. Not the interpreter.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No translation involved Mar 20, 2011

This was a telephone speech by Col Gaddafi where a woman's voice was interpreting simultaneously. Hardly G. knew himself what he would say a minute earlier, I would guess.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Aha! Mar 20, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

This was a telephone speech by Col Gaddafi where a woman's voice was interpreting simultaneously. Hardly G. knew himself what he would say a minute earlier, I would guess.

So it was the voice of a interpreter. In this particular case.

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
Local time: 19:03
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
I do not have a slightest clue of what you said Apr 17, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A transcript of the finished film / video can never contain: "interpreter's voice".

Interpreting is simply a different story.

Would you please be so kind as to explain to me the difference b/w translator and interpreter then. I thought I knew, and I would have agreed with Heinrich, but after reading your post, I am... dumbfounded. What you consider is one thing, but you translate what you translate in writing, and whether or not it will be dubbed, end up as VO/SoT, be read aloud as speech or whatever, is, as you say, a different story.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Voice of translator"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »